Lamy Safari

chemgeek

Thanks for the fun and insightful review. At first, I thought my charcoal Safari to be a bit (dare I say) boring, but this has helped when I'd rather not make a scene in a crowd full of ballpoint zombies. The nib (mine, xf) is stiff, but it still has the dynamic, natural writing appeal found only in a FP. Collecting Safaris would be a cheaper hobby than MB's. Maybe I should reconsider my FP financial future!

Thanks again!

From now on I will think of all ballpoint users as Zombies :roflmho:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read this whole thread not realizing how long ago it was started. I got my first Safari last week, and I'm already deciding which colors I'm going to match with which nib sizes on the next few I buy. I love 'em, They're sturdy, they're good looking, and they just plain work.

I must say, 142 posts, and only a couple of trolls = 1 well loved pen!

This is going to keep me quietly entertained at board meetings for a looooong time..............

- Tom -

I just read this whole thread not realizing how long ago it was started. I got my first Safari last week, and I'm already deciding which colors I'm going to match with which nib sizes on the next few I buy. I love 'em, They're sturdy, they're good looking, and they just plain work.

I must say, 142 posts, and only a couple of trolls = 1 well loved pen!

This is going to keep me quietly entertained at board meetings for a looooong time..............

- Tom -

and me haha! Seriously though I've lost count of the number of meetings where I've seen people using cheap give a way ballpoints and wondered how these people can bear to write with such rubbish!

and me haha! Seriously though I've lost count of the number of meetings where I've seen people using cheap give a way ballpoints and wondered how these people can bear to write with such rubbish!

It's called settling. We do it too often in life!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Having recently purchased a Lamy Joy and deciding that I actually didn't like the tapered barrel - I created a Frankenpen by swapping the nib unit and the lid and putting them on a standard glossy black Safari - here is the result - my own Special Edition Lamy Safari!

[EDIT] Thanks for your review Chemgeek :)

This is what I bought today: a Lamy Safari 'blue & red', sold only this summer, seems to be advertised for the girlie market, but never mind ...

I am looking for this color in Turkey but couldn't manage to get one. Sellers on ebay is asking for incredible prices. This is a lovely pen. I got 12 of them. http://writetomeoften.blogspot.com/2012/04/lamy-fountain-pens-lamy-dolmakalemler.html (red safari and grey al star is missing in the picture)

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

No doubt, the Safari is one heck of a great pen. I recommend the EF nib option; I have found it to be my most-used writer.

• 2 months later...

I'm just now finding these reviews on this site, at which I am a very new member. Some great info even though quite dated in that I was reading along on page 1 of this Lamy Safari review and the posts were dated May, then June, and lastly July 22nd. I did a double-take as it is only July 8th today! LOL. Well it was 2006!!! What a long-lasting thread. I bought a Lamy Safari as my 2nd fountain pen thinking (erroneously) that it would be smaller than my 1st pen, the Platinum Plaisir. Wrong! The Lamy is larger than the Plaisir. So I began learning how to read descriptions more accurately. I have small hands and the Safari is much too large for me. In fact I am trying to sell mine and use the proceeds to buy one of several smaller, slimmer fountain pens I've been oogling (sp?). I mean they are good pens but not for me and my hands. BTW I got the white one with black nib in Fine. It writes very wet on my cheap notebook paper; more dry on Clairefontaine Triomph.

One of the difficulties of selecting online is matching size and weight for your individual need.

Plaisir and Safari are just the correct weight, and size for me, though I do appreciate smaller ringtop vintage pieces too. Parker has a few smaller vintage pens too.

In modestly sized pens you may wish to look art Pilot 78G, smaller than both above

Also Lamy Safri are desirable so you should easily be able to recoup most of your investment, or even effect a trade, I believe Todd at Isell pens has 78G for about 12 ish dollars.http://www.isellpens.com/pilot.html

Edited by pen2paper

• 3 years later...

Safaris are nicely made, while not fancy they will do the job and survive anything....

I like the grip, which is great for beginners/students; and how easy it is to switch Nibs.
SO I bought one for each of my daughters, and also the Jinhao knock-off for them to try and destroy :)

All in all it is a good piece of german engineering and design.

Edited by titrisol

SO I bought one for each of my daughters, and also the Jinhao knock-off for them to try and destroy :)

Let us know how the destructive testing goes - the Jinhaos certainly seem made of a more brittle plastic than the Lamys

Actually, the Jinhaos are metal bodies!

I was plasantly surprised by them

One of them is a bit "scratchy" but with some twekaing is working fine now

Let us know how the destructive testing goes - the Jinhaos certainly seem made of a more brittle plastic than the Lamys