Lamy Safari

chemgeek

I was wondering if it is better to fill the converter with ink by inserting it directly in the ink bottle first and then plug it into the pen, holding it upside down probably so that the ink doesn't overflow with pressure. Haven't tried it yet. Has anyone tried it?

I was going to post about this elsewhere but happened to see this first. I wanted to say that I always fill my converter that way, always have. I don't really know why, I think because I'm young and only ever saw cartridges or dip pens, never any other sort of filling mechanism so my natrual response was to just dunk the converter and treat it like a cartridge. I even touch the end to a little paper towel near the bottle to get any little bits of the side, and viola: it's like having a fresh cartridge, just plug it in. Surface tension keeps the ink in pretty well if you are careless (but I wouldn't count on it all the time) while you go from bottle to pen. So yes, I do fill that way. Then your nib is all clean and ready to roll...

I have a Lamy Vista on the way in the mail right now! (I got EF because I write very small, any comments or scanned samples of the differences of the Lamy nibs? That would be useful to see side by side...)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice review. :D The Safari is definitely a good entry-level FP for newbies (like i am).

I bought LAMY Safari as my first non-disposable FP. It writes wonderfully. The light-weight makes writing as easy as it is with ball point (i tried other metal-barrel pens at the shop, and was surprised by the weight! I could hardly loop my cursive comfortably!)

I'm still on my very first cartridge (which came with the pen itself). I would like to try its Italic nib though (i'm practising Italics cursive). Might in the end get a Safari with an Italic nib fitted onto it (i'm a lazy bum when it comes to getting my hands dirty...)

I would very much like to see any sample that test out all the italic nibs by LAMY tho....

Currently writing in hopelessly slanted cursive.

Working on: Italics (cursive, of course!)

Ultimate Goal: Chancery Italic!

I think that this line of Lamy pens is really based on pragmatism- the pens are built for functionality, not aesthetics, making it a great product for a user. Its modularity is also very appealing, for different nib sections can be purchased online and the pen works equally well with cartridges and converters.

I concur. I recently got a Lamy Vista (clear version of the Safari) and I'm really happy with this pen. I have a beat up old Safari (dark gray/green) that I inherited as a "throw in" with another pen I bought from a German seller, which sports an MK nib. Very durable and dependable pen, just not very attractive. The Vista is more impressive in person than in the photos. Plus all the things Philip stated are indeed true. I'd venture to say this is one of the best entry level pens and everyday writers around. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I just got my Yellow Safari and I am having a ball with it. It makes me slow down and write legibly when I get in a hurry. I have an EF and it writes with a very fine line. I wanted it for work. In the summer we wear polo shirts without pockets so I have to put the pen in my pants pocket. I eventually broke a vey nice Roting in half after carring it around like that all summer. It came with blue ink and I haven't used blue ink in years. Very fun and I like what it does for my handwriting.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

I use a lime green Safari as my throwaround at work. I use an EF nib because a) I usually have small boxes to right in, and B) the paper it usually terrible so feathering increases line width. It's a little scratchy but no more than I expected compared to my medium-sized nibs like Carene and Imperial. I do like the 1.1i nib though... mine is incredibly smooth!

I just couldn't say no to a bright green, lime coloured pen...

Edited by Calbei

• 1 year later...

nice review,very well described,I have to lamy blue/vista both with a fine nib,I love them,they are terrific pens,and always start right away... :thumbup:

CPSC

• 2 years later...

Got myself a lamy safari yesterday from Singapore mustafa market as a souvenir .

Now here in india it is available for 32 sg dollars (converted),whereas mustafa took 34 sgd from me.

Anyways The edition which i got was charcoal black one ,nib "F" with a converter.

Presenetly i'm using it and writing with it is like a dream.It just glides so smoothly on the paper.

the ink which i have filled is camlin Black ink.http://readers.in/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_72_25.jpg

I sincerely don't think the pen is a cheap alternative to your illustrious ones.For me it is a very simple elegant odern design with good functionality and superior writing experience.

In Indian schools writing with ink pens i guess has been abruptly smothered over by the advent of gel pens and i sometimes regret this especially when i see my sister breaking nibs of my cheaper fountain pens consecutively, though she studies in class 11 !

Anyways Safari was a hell of a ride.I'm looking forward for some spin with this baby.

Oh btw i also got one cross Calais Chrome ball pen for my dad .Though it costed 51 sgd but the looks are awesome .Only prob is if your hands are sweaty enough this pen will slip occasionally.

Still a fountain pen is a different experience altogether.nothing comes close to it

Edited by pk_gt1

Im still waiting for my safari to arrive in the mail but I got such itchy feet while waiting I went into adelaides only pen store and bought an al-star with a 1.5 italic hib and I have t say I love it! I can only look forward to the safari.

On the subject if the amount of ink the converters hold I can say that with the big italic ob I'm using a lot more ink, probably two or more times as much, than if I were writing with a medium, much less an f or xf. That being said even with my wide wet lines I'm getting page after page, at least 8-10 or calligraphy out of a single refill soi assume you would get at least 50% more if you were using a smaller nib. What I would say though is not to ge too worried when the ink disappears from the window, I got quite a lot of mileage out of the pen long after it looked empty by that indicator. Perhaps it's because it stores so much in the feed system?

When my new charcoal safari arrives I'll fill it to its tippiest top and keep track of how much I write with it before it gives out and report back.

More generally though I quite like the look of the thing, I was genuinely shocked when I was reading and found out how old the basic design of the safari is ( c. 1980!). I inkit might be the key to converting a few of my friends to the fountain bug.

WTB: the following GvF-C classic FPs (pref. B or OB nib) or rollerballs: platinum plated, gold plated, solid sterling silver, ebony anello and gold anello, PM me!

(also interested in most other GvF-C products in general, i.e any writing tools, leather goods, advertising/packaging)

photo-77650.jpg?__rand=0.32259700+1322887954

Im still waiting for my safari to arrive in the mail but I got such itchy feet while waiting I went into adelaides only pen store and bought an al-star with a 1.5 italic hib and I have t say I love it! I can only look forward to the safari.

Hi, I bought my first Lamy Vista there, I only went in to buy some ink but happened to try a Safari, on their smooth LAMY writing pad and I was addicted! It was so smooth to write with I offered to buy the test pen I had used! They said no, so I had a look at their large range of colours and decided on the Vista.

I now have five!

They are so helpful and friendly and I'm glad they are still able to remain in business.

Just out of curiosity, what did the Al-Star cost and was the converter extra?

Best regards,

Steve.

I have an Al Star and a Safari - I like the Al Star a bit better, if I'm honest, but both are great pens.

FWIW, I quite like Lamy's blue, and it seems to tolerate poor paper pretty well, so in the Safari (with an EF nib) I've always used cartridges (I got two with the pens, and a box of lamy blue carts as a gift), and this pen goes to work where paper quality is less of a known quantity :).

Edited by John the Monkey

:crybaby: I was talking myself out of buying a Lamy since I just bought a Parker Vector (my first ever fountain pen.. :vbg:) but now you're making me want to buy one because of your awesome review.

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people that have come alive.

-Howard Thurman

Thank you - that's an excellent review.

christof - those Lamys look good enough to eat !.

I bought a Lamy Safari ( with the infamous black nib ) and they have all been noticeably dry writers.

I then tried the Lamy Al-Star with the silver nib and I was pleasantly surprised - about 7/10 for wetness. So far it's been a regular work-horse pen.

Edited by kavanagh

I bought a Lamy Safari ( with the infamous black nib ) and they have all been noticeably dry writers.

I then tried the Lamy Al-Star with the silver nib and I was pleasantly surprised - about 7/10 for wetness. So far it's been a regular work-horse pen.

OK, I'll buy it - why 'infamous'?

BTW not sure it's been said before on this thread but the standard Lamy nibs also fit the Dialog 3 - AFAIK the only way to get a retractable FP with an italic nib without custom nib work, even if it does seem strange to put a GBP 4.50 nib on a GBP 100+ pen :huh:

Edited by PDW

• 1 month later...

OK, I'll buy it - why 'infamous'?

I cannot stand the Lamy Safari. I'bought one with a medium nib. Scratchy and dry feeling. Tried modifying it to no avail. I bought a fine nib and put it on.....same problem....

scratch scratch scratch scratch.....I can't stand the pen.

I caution people against buying a pen if they like smooth writers.

I think I'll empty the pen and tape it to a stick and make it a back scratcher. A man can always use more back scratchers.

I cannot stand the Lamy Safari. I'bought one with a medium nib. Scratchy and dry feeling. Tried modifying it to no avail. I bought a fine nib and put it on.....same problem....

scratch scratch scratch scratch.....I can't stand the pen.

I caution people against buying a pen if they like smooth writers.

I think I'll empty the pen and tape it to a stick and make it a back scratcher. A man can always use more back scratchers.

I can understand the "dry feeling" part, but my Safari has never seemed scratchy to me.

It's hard to describe, but to me, my F nib has feeback... yet is still fairly smooth. Not scratchy at all in the same way as other scratchy nibs I've experienced.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the fun and insightful review. At first, I thought my charcoal Safari to be a bit (dare I say) boring, but this has helped when I'd rather not make a scene in a crowd full of ballpoint zombies. The nib (mine, xf) is stiff, but it still has the dynamic, natural writing appeal found only in a FP. Collecting Safaris would be a cheaper hobby than MB's. Maybe I should reconsider my FP financial future!

Thanks again!