Lamy Safari

chemgeek

The nib of my Safari was scratchy to begin with and only improved with a lot of writing. Its OK now but not nearly so smooth as other makes I have. Probably bad luck but it has improved with use - its the only pen that has made me wonder how hard the tipping material is because of the way it has changed with use.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I removed the nib off my Safari and gave it a thorough cleaning, while the feed+section was immersed in a glass of water added with a couple of drops of bath gel and left standing there for a few hours. After that I gave the feed and its grooves a good scrub (gently, of course) with a soft-bristled toothbrush.

I'm happy to say although this does not totally eliminate the 'skipping' problem, it did reduce it to a great extend. My Safari is no longer a hyperactive tree frog now, just a lazy toad :P

The ink used is the Pelikan Royal Blue. Could this ink contribute to this problem?

Another thing... does anyone here know how to remove the feed from the section? Tried yanking and twisting it, but the feed refused to budge, not even a bit. In the end I decided not to pursue this further as I'm afraid that I might end up breaking something. Or is the feed glued shut to the section and is therefore, not removable?

Shahrin B)

Today I removed the nib off my Safari and gave it a thorough cleaning, while the feed+section was immersed in a glass of water added with a couple of drops of bath gel and left standing there for a few hours. After that I gave the feed and its grooves a good scrub (gently, of course) with a soft-bristled toothbrush.

I'm happy to say although this does not totally eliminate the 'skipping' problem, it did reduce it to a great extend. My Safari is no longer a hyperactive tree frog now, just a lazy toad :P

The ink used is the Pelikan Royal Blue. Could this ink contribute to this problem?

Another thing... does anyone here know how to remove the feed from the section? Tried yanking and twisting it, but the feed refused to budge, not even a bit. In the end I decided not to pursue this further as I'm afraid that I might end up breaking something. Or is the feed glued shut to the section and is therefore, not removable?

Shahrin  B)

It might be that your new, unused Safari had some residue from manufacturing oils on it or on the converter, and by giving it a thorough cleaning, it reduced any flow impedence that the residue caused. At least, I've read that this sort of thing can be a problem with any new pen. By the way, for cleaning, per some advice I read on this forum, I use a very dilute ammonia in water solution and rinse with water. If your bath gel contains any moisturizing oils, it might impede flow (I'd guess). I clean both nibs/sections and converters with it. Have you tried cleaning your converter, too, filling it as if the cleaning solution were ink, and rinsing with water? I'd do this with the converter still attached to the pen.

I've used Pelikan Brilliant Black ink in my Lamy Safari without any skipping. The only time it would balk, I would realize that I was almost out of ink. Refilling it solved that issue. It was not the very first ink I used in that pen, though, so maybe whatever ink I used before it (I think it might have been Private Reserve Lake Placid) got rid of the residue issue, if it even had that sort of problem (because PR inks tend to be really, really runny). If your skipping issue is truly a manufacturing residue-related problem, then maybe something about Pelikan inks reacts with that particular residue or something and causes the flow to stall until the residue is cleaned out. I'm just guessing; I really don't know.

As for your toothiness comment earlier, I have a F nib on one Safari, and it is smooth, not toothy. My husband's F nib is also very smooth. My other Safari has an M nib, but it is a modified cursive italic, so if it were toothy at all, it would have been taken care of by the re-grind.

Edited by blueiris

The nib of my Safari was scratchy to begin with and only improved with a lot of writing.  Its OK now but not nearly so smooth as other makes I have.  Probably bad luck but it has improved with use - its the only pen that has made me wonder how hard the tipping material is because of the way it has changed with use.

Same here. It smoothed out after about 6-8 months and has remained the same. I bought my Safari about 8 years ago and I have to say, it has never failed me. I do use the Lamy ink with it and nothing else so maybe that makes a difference. It has never skipped on me. At the end of the day, I would buy another without hesitation.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

:meow:

sorry to hear about sharuincamille's experence. My Lamy's have never skipped. I did get a bad nib on one of the 5 I own so maybe they are ot consistent in manfacture. As for Ink I use Waterman Violet in the one I use most and it hads been fine. Also from use of the pens and noticing different ink flow I think the Al-Star must have a different feed as it is wetter than the Safari IMO.

Armchop

Also from use of the pens and noticing different ink flow I think the Al-Star must have a different feed as it is wetter than the Safari IMO.

Armchop

Thank you for this comment, Armchop. I might have to try an al-Star now!

I love my blue and red Lamy. Survived first semester of college just fine, though it has a few scratches from people borrowing it and tossing it back on the table.

These standard Lamy steels nibs are mass produced pieces, so variations in quality are not uncommon. But, instead of hating the pen, just change the steel nib, they can be bought separately. Some are scratchy or have baby bottoms, some are just fine out of the box - nothing dramatic.

Edited by saintsimon

After finding the really good pricings for Lamy Safari's with italic nibs on the Swisher Pens website, I've been thinking about getting one. But I have to say I'm a little hesitant seeing the experience of Safari nibs being a bit toothy, scratchy (at least until broken in)--certainly an italic nib would be even more so?

Also, what is an MK nib?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

-certainly an italic nib would be even more so?

No - my Lamy 1.1 mm italic is nice to write with and wet enough. No tooth, just slight 'steelish' feedback. I bought that nib separately and was lucky out of the box.

MK stand for "mittlere Kugelfeder" = medium ball-shaped nib. It has a round shaped medium point to suit many writing angles, or something like that ...

... I have to say I'm a little hesitant seeing the experience of Safari nibs being a bit toothy, scratchy (at least until broken in)--certainly an italic nib would be even more so?

The Lamy italics I have tried have all been very smooth. They are plain steel with no tipping material.

MK stand for "mittlere Kugelfeder" = medium ball-shaped nib. It has a round shaped medium point to suit many writing angles, or something like that ...

Ah, thanks! I'd heard of something similar... Sailor made it--a nib that can deliver a nice consistent line at many angles. Looked like it put out too much ink, though.

Thanks for all of your feedback on the nibs. I'm glad to hear the Safari italic nibs tend to be smoooth. So, a 1.1mm italic may be in my near future. Now to decide on a color! Something loud, or something understated? Hmmm... Certainly Lamy has both. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Myu, you must get an Al-Star. I'll say it again, industrial-chic. And if your avatar is any indication, that would be right up your alley ;)

The blood jet is poetry, there is no stopping it.

Shahrin  B)

It might be that your new, unused Safari had some residue from manufacturing oils on it or on the converter, and by giving it a thorough cleaning, it reduced any flow impedence that the residue caused. At least, I've read that this sort of thing can be a problem with any new pen. By the way, for cleaning, per some advice I read on this forum, I use a very dilute ammonia in water solution and rinse with water. If your bath gel contains any moisturizing oils, it might impede flow (I'd guess). I clean both nibs/sections and converters with it. Have you tried cleaning your converter, too, filling it as if the cleaning solution were ink, and rinsing with water? I'd do this with the converter still attached to the pen.

I've used Pelikan Brilliant Black ink in my Lamy Safari without any skipping. The only time it would balk, I would realize that I was almost out of ink. Refilling it solved that issue. It was not the very first ink I used in that pen, though, so maybe whatever ink I used before it (I think it might have been Private Reserve Lake Placid) got rid of the residue issue, if it even had that sort of problem (because PR inks tend to be really, really runny). If your skipping issue is truly a manufacturing residue-related problem, then maybe something about Pelikan inks reacts with that particular residue or something and causes the flow to stall until the residue is cleaned out. I'm just guessing; I really don't know.

As for your toothiness comment earlier, I have a F nib on one Safari, and it is smooth, not toothy. My husband's F nib is also very smooth. My other Safari has an M nib, but it is a modified cursive italic, so if it were toothy at all, it would have been taken care of by the re-grind.

2 days back I immersed my Safari's nib and feed+section in a glass of water with a drop of dish-washing liquid added in. :eureka:

I'm happy to report that my Safari is no longer 'Mr Skippy' - it now lays down a consistent, smooth wet line :bunny1: . So the problem could be due to manufacturing residue in the feed after all :o

Thanks for you help and suggestions, fellow FPNers :)

• 2 weeks later...
I use my Safari for testing inks and mixes that wouldn't dare fill my other pens with. Never had any trouble with it.

WOW!! Do you mean you mix your own inks? I've only mixed brands and colours, but never prepared my own ink. I mean: If preparing mixes means only what I do, this shouldn't be of any risk for the pen. But if you mix water with powders, for example (or non-fountain pen inks, BTW), that's quite different. Could you share your experiences with us?

Thanks.

PD: Sorry I reply to an old post. It's just that I am new here and was browsing messages.

In case of emergency: Just shout loud and run as fast as you can.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lafeyplumas/ group for enthusiasts in Argentina. Subscription is moderated, messages aren't.

I bought an Al-star from made2shop (on a recommend from Rosie) in December,love the pen,its a fine nib and never skips. However the cap was cosmetically defective sent it to them and a week and a half later my new cap is here. Great service M2S!

• 2 months later...

i have a vista with xf nib that is very smooth out of the box. i use it daily at the office for multiforms. works great! biggrin.gif

so i have a question: can the nib be swapped out while loaded with ink? i know that i will get a bit inky in the process. i have been wanting a big italic nibbed pen for writing cards and such on an infrequent basis. it would be great to be able to just swap in the 1.9 and write a couple of cards then swap back to the xf without switching inks. eureka.gif

cheers!

ryan

thank you chris!

that is pretty cool about the safari. i will pick up a 1.9mm today and give it a try. my collection of pens are all with fine, xf and a couple of ~.7mm cursive italic nibs which suit me well except for things like cards. this should fit the bill perfectly.

slainte,

ryan

I picked up a 1.1mm Italic Safari. Writes great! The body also feels really durable. I do have an issue with ink creeping out of the slit and over the top of the nib, it's a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect the writing, but it is an issue.

I don't like the Lamy ink though, I find Skrip and Noodler's flow a lot better than the 1 cartridge of Lamy Blue included.