Desk Sets

Breck

So, is it just a random accident of what happens to be up for bids on eBay right now, or did Sheaffer make a lot more desk sets than the other major manufacturers?

It seems like... I don't know, maybe a quarter? of the sets with any brand name at all is a Sheaffer.

Just curious.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• Pepin

• Breck

• penspouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they made a lot more desk sets. They made 660 different models betweem 1925 and 1941. That period is the high water mark or golden age for desk sets. After the war you primarily get rectangles. The Lenox collection for Sheaffer, Parker put out the Haeger stuff and some other odds and ends but desk sets as a product line are so low value that the Pen Desk Set Company set up by Sheaffer, Parker and Wahl is dissolved in 1950. Loads of plain small ones, many of which are rarer than you'd think. So, of the 660 I'm up to around 250 maybe a few more.

Roger W.

So, of the 660 I'm up to around 250 maybe a few more.

Roger W.

And....that would NOT include duplicates, right?

BTW, I found another 8' Sheaffer's case for you if you're running out of room. Though I can't imagine you running out of room for desk sets. :roflmho: Ever.

The case owner is a bit proud, though. :rolleyes:

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

I knew they made a lot in that span, but 660! Wow, I don't know if that number is more impressive or that you took the time to count them. Does that figure include the lamps?

From the mid 60s onward, sheaffer's quality deteriorates significantly. That doesn't prevent them from cranking out loads of desk sets. A lot of the ones you see come from this later period.

I've seen Sheaffer with clocks, brass calendars, multiple indentations in the base for pen rest, fancy brass circles squares around the slotted hole. I'm still collecting for the necessary parts to custom build the ultimate desk set for myself:

Jet Black Sheaffer desk base for Three desk pens, two recessed spots for pen rest in front, large brass squares to go around the holes (must be sourced from single pen desk base), custom cut brass plates for design speacialization (from original blank name plates), with a fancy LeCoultre clock, stacked with a small jet black base on top of the large bottom base to support an inkwell and brass calendar inkwell, with three solid 14k gold snorkel desk pens with triumph nibs. It'll be a while until I have all the parts but this desk set will be the BOMB! I will also need those 30s bronze elephants to complete the decoration. It'll be hideously intricate but one impressive desk set! Of course, I'll credit Sheaffer for providing the parts. :thumbup:

I have the following desk pens at the moment:

inlaid nib touchdowns

inlaid nib gold plated touchdowns

triumph nib touch downs

various snorkels, regular open nib, triumph nibs, different colors

vac fills, with different striated patterns

lever fills with lifetime open nibs

Roger, I'm catching up.... :roflmho: 250 you say? ehm.... B)

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

....I'm still collecting for the necessary parts to custom build the ultimate desk set for myself:

Jet Black Sheaffer desk base for Three desk pens, two recessed spots for pen rest in front, large brass squares to go around the holes (must be sourced from single pen desk base), custom cut brass plates for design speacialization (from original blank name plates), with a fancy LeCoultre clock, stacked with a small jet black base on top of the large bottom base to support an inkwell and brass calendar inkwell, with three solid 14k gold snorkel desk pens with triumph nibs. It'll be a while until I have all the parts but this desk set will be the BOMB! I will also need those 30s bronze elephants to complete the decoration. It'll be hideously intricate but one impressive desk set! Of course, I'll credit Sheaffer for providing the parts. :thumbup:

Why do I suddenly have Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" stuck in my head...? :lol:

Rhodes;

That does not include the lamps but there are only 28 or so of those. I say or so as I recently picked up a wartime desklamp that I'd never seen before.

Roger W.

Rhodes;

That does not include the lamps but there are only 28 or so of those. I say or so as I recently picked up a wartime desklamp that I'd never seen before.

Roger W.

Roger,

Who make the lamps for Sheaffer? I don't own one but I reckon it must be an American firm back in the day.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Pepin;

The first lamps were Amronlites. Markel provided one but, I don't recall the others being marked.

Roger W.

Pepin;

The first lamps were Amronlites. Markel provided one but, I don't recall the others being marked.

Roger W.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. One question Roger: Have you ever seen a Sheaffer base with slots for more than three pen holders? The most I've seen has been for three and it was a gigantic base.

Pepin;

Over three it is not a desk base but, a pen frog or some equivalent (and three was to accomodate ball points so I'd really say two holders should be the max normally).

Roger W.