Montblanc Voltaire - review

goodguy

Writers Edition number 14, so close but yet so far.

I got the Voltaire only a week and a half after I got the Poe and both pens have something in common.

The Voltaire is all about the cap which is pretty stunning in its design. Sticking from the shirts pocket this pen is quit a statement. The Poe’s caps top end is also very beautiful and is the first thing that attracts you attention.

But once you take the cap off you get a pen with a very simple design. Without the impressive top you could think this is another replica of the Agatha as this pen is made of Montblanc’s standard precious resin with very little more to it. The cap has a nice Vermeil ring above the caps lips and it has another ring right above the piston know.

So holding the pen without the cap feels just like the Agatha does.

I think I will have to make a comparison between the 2 pens as they are so alike.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00441.jpg

The pen is very light weight and very neutral in its balance, reminds me again of the simple and classic design of the Agatha.

Both the bottom ring and the caps top are beautifully engraved and the black cap makes the details come out even more. On the top there are leaves engraved and what looks like an H.H in one of them and I wonder if it’s a part of the design or the artist’s signature.

In any case the upper ornamentation is also made of Vermeil.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00468.jpg

The pen has Montblanc’s famous ink view window which is always great to have and you can easily see the ink moving in it.

I’ll be honest with you I am not floored by this pen, I guess simply because I have seen this design already with the Agatha. Never the less the simple and classic design has its own charm. This pen is not considered to be one of the more desirable Writers Edition but here is the interesting part it’s not very common to find this pen for sale and since this pen was made in 20000 units you would imagine you will see this pen more.

My guess is that the people that got this pen simply love it and don’t want to sell it.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00447.jpg

The nib is another interesting design feature on the Writers Edition pens and this one has a rather different 2 things that look like Gold clubs on both sides of it. Not sure why. Is it just a design feature or is it somehow connected to Voltaire.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00444.jpg

Well I got this pen with a bold nib and boy do I really don’t like bold nibs and let me tell you this is the MOBN!!! (Mother Of Bold Nibs). This bold nib is very wide very wet and SMOOTH!!!!!!!

Very little feedback from it as it is glassy, very glassy smooth.

I think people that like bold nibs (did anyone said GP ?) will go gaga over this one.

Not for me though, I simply can’t write with such a thing. But as you know probably already this is not a big problem as this is a collector’s pen and thus will not see much use anyways.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00452.jpg

Sadly I didn’t have time to take a picture with Tzutzik so if you guys want I can add it later but he actually liked the bold nib more then me.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00457.jpg

The pen uses the regular piston and I have very little to add to it except it works wonderful very smooth and takes a nice a mount of ink.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00458.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Ghost Plane

• rickyriz

• troglokev

That cap is indeed gorgeous. And the ink level is a very nice feature to have. I'm not so sure about the nib, though... maybe it's the lighting, but that imprinting doesn't look as luxurious as what you see on the two-tone MB nibs.

Incidentally, that isn't an iPhone you have the pen resting on in some of your photos, is it?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Incidentally, that isn't an iPhone you have the pen resting on in some of your photos, is it?

No its my Blackberry Bold :wub:

Respect to all

Nice review. I've sort of forgotten about mine since it has hardly been used. I like that the clip and trim including the cap top are vermeil adding a little something to the value. The design is fairly restrained and tasteful in its details. I like mine. What kind of nib did you get?

Have fun with your new pen.

Nice review. I've sort of forgotten about mine since it has hardly been used. I like that the clip and trim including the cap top are vermeil adding a little something to the value. The design is fairly restrained and tasteful in its details. I like mine. What kind of nib did you get?

Have fun with your new pen.

Looks like a B

Nice review, the cap engraving looks really good.

Pelikan nut

What kind of nib did you get?

As I said in the review this is a Bold nib a B nib big,fat juicy B nib.

Respect to all

What kind of nib did you get?

As I said in the review this is a Bold nib a B nib big,fat juicy B nib.

Oops. Sorry, not paying attention. Thanks.

What can I say, I like it!

Congratulations!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

I might have to give it a home for Goodguy so that it'll stay in top working order with regular use. ;) :bunny01:

I see the gold filling for the Mont Blanc logo has faded due to age ( mine was also gone too) but I went to my local MB shop and they re-etch it back (no charge). You might want to do the same it brings out the cap more.

Andy

I've always loved the elegance of the cap! :wub:

but I think this feature is reflected by the entire pen, making it a very beautiful model!

thanks for the review!

Saluti.

Riccardo

Thanks for the review, but I miss Tsutsik! PLEASE post a Tsutsik+Voltaire photo! :meow: :meow: :meow:

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

... :meow: :meow: :meow:

:meow: :meow: :meow: me too!!! :roflmho:

Saluti.

Riccardo

When Amir posts a review with no picture of Tzuzik, I begin to wonder if there mightn't be something wrong with the pen. While he does assure us that Tzuzik likes the pen, I begin to doubt. Does this pen have a poltergeist? Is it somehow evil? Has it been filled with Baystate Blue at some point?

Tzuzik's many fans need reassurance!

nice pen amir :) happy writing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For some reason the cap reminds me of a hat Voltaire used to wear; I looked for the picture of the painting and the closest one I got was this. But it's not he one that looks like the pen.

Anyways, gorgeous pen. Thanks for the review!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Tzutzik asked me to tell you all he thinks B nibs are great and that I am being a baby for just enjoying F nibs.

Pfffff what does he know he is just a silly cat right guys ?

You support me not him right ?

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00478.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00481.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC00484.jpg

Respect to all