Noodler's GI Green

Triplet Mom

I just bought and reviewed the reformulated G. I. Green, and now realize the OLD stuff is what I really wanted!

Orange halo! I'm sold.

Who still sells the old formula, if anyone?

BEAUTIFUL handwriting, by the way. :thumbup:

Could not agree more. I lucked out and got a bottle of the old formula on eBay back in November 09, but that seller has sold all his stock since. Someone mentioned Peartree Pens might have the old formula in limited amounts. I am mixing my own version of old formula "GI Green" by using J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Eclat de Saphir. This results in an ink with excellent shading and colour variation, but the original is so good that the reformulation is unfortunate.

http://www.peartreepens.com/Noodler-s-V-Mail-Ink-p/nlcr-v.htm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penguinmaster

• Sailor Kenshin

• GreenVelvet

• Triplet Mom

Anyone have a vial's worth of Old GI Green they'd be willing to trade?

I have the new, of course, and 41 Brown, and some other inks....

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Could not agree more. I lucked out and got a bottle of the old formula on eBay back in November 09, but that seller has sold all his stock since. Someone mentioned Peartree Pens might have the old formula in limited amounts. I am mixing my own version of old formula "GI Green" by using J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Eclat de Saphir. This results in an ink with excellent shading and colour variation, but the original is so good that the reformulation is unfortunate.

http://www.peartreepens.com/Noodler-s-V-Mail-Ink-p/nlcr-v.htm

I purchased a bottle of GI Green from Pear Tree a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was getting what was shown on the review here, with the orange halo and faded green body. To my eye, it is a bright, juniper green, not faded army-anything, as the OP in the 'other' GI Green thread posted. I use fine and extra-fine points, though, so maybe that accounts for some of the lack of shading I'm seeing. I don't dislike the color I have, it's just not what I had expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: When I was at the NE Pen Show this past Sunday, I introduced myself to Nathan and asked about the original GI Green ink. He said he had more people that wrote to him complaining about the ink being too light than he did from people that liked the original GI Green. I had told him that several people on this board have been trying to get the original, so he said he would think about reissuing it. Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to offer both shades of GI Green so that those of us that like the original better can still get it.

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

Definitely!

In the meantime, if anyone's willing to trade a vial of OS GI Green, I have some inks to give in return.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have the reformulated ink. It's a nice color, but it's not the unusual curiosity that this one is.

I'd definitely buy the original.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I didn't read the entire thread before I rushed out and bought a bottle of GI Green. My bottle is the new formula and I am, for the first time, disappointed with a Noodler's ink. Honestly, I find the new GI Green kinda boring.

• 1 year later...

I love the "Gen II" G.I. Green--it's nearly a perfect match for my Esterbrook LJ in icicle green.

But I really would like to see the original formula reissued. Is anyone else here interested in, um...asking...Mr. Tardiff to reissue it? I don't know what the most official or polite way to contact him is, but I'd be happy to send a handwritten letter in my 13+ different Noodler's colors. :) Anyone know the right address?

Would a (polite) online petition be a good idea so we can get an idea of numbers?

I agree the original color seems interesting. Maybe that could be a Goulet exclusive somehow?

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

FWIW, other than being unobtanium, the old formula is relatively useless. :-) (The fading is pretty vicious, and you need a pretty broad/wet nib for it to be at all readable after some time has passed.)

Really? It just disappears?

I have some writing in a notebook (so, basically, there has been no light exposure) that has indeed faded, but it is still readable. It is hard to read, but I can make it out. It's dated from almost two years ago.

I'm curious as to how this reformulated GI Green compares to the Montblanc Racing Green that was discontinued. Since the Noodler's site sort of compares it to a "racing green." maybe it isn't even close, but I needed a lighter green anyway, Avacado is just a bit too dark. It's like a green/black where it's mostly black.