Dupont pens

montblancdude

I have 2 Dupont Orpheos and I can really guaranty that they are ones of my best pens. Quality nibs, nice design, durable materials and lacquer are their strongest points. I love my Orpheos because I like metal and heavy pens. They are expensive but you pay for quality.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montblancdude

• Shalori

• kaisede

• Miranda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dupont is not a pen manufacturer. I would consider their selection if they devote 100% of their focus to make pens and only pens. They are most famous for making a certain lighter with a unique sound. I don't trust luxury companies that sell on designs and outsource the real work to others, even if they were reputable makers.

I beg to differ! S. T. Dupont makes some of the finest pens in the world. And they don't outsource much. They even make their own natural Chinese lacquer, selecting the raw material at the source and doing their own processing. I certainly do consider them to be a pen manufacturer, and a premier one at that.

...and their pens quality and uniqueness in design such that of nibs doesn't manifest outsourcing!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Dupont is not a pen manufacturer. I would consider their selection if they devote 100% of their focus to make pens and only pens. They are most famous for making a certain lighter with a unique sound. I don't trust luxury companies that sell on designs and outsource the real work to others, even if they were reputable makers.

They make their own nibs which, in my opinion makes them more of a pen manufacturer than any of the brands who only make barrels and caps and outsource their nibs.

I would have agreed with this sentiment about four years ago, until I wrote with one. Duponts have the smoothest nibs that I've ever used. Also, as someone has already pointed out, Dupont is one of the few remaining pen manufacturers who still produce their own nibs.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

There are a few of us Dupont fans out there. I own more of these pens than I care to admit and they are all great writers. Every nib that I have tried was super smooth, from Extra fine to Stub. Although, the old extra Fines are smoother than the newly designed extra fines.

My standard Olympios are, IMHO, very elegant and classy but the ST Dupont Limited Editions are absolutely amazing. Most of the times they have the ability to truly capture the spirit of their subject such that you only need to look at the pen and you immediately know the inspiration.

ST Dupont is, by far, my favorite pen manufacturer.

Regards,

Neil

Very beautiful indeed... my personal favorite is the Dupont Fifth Avenue pen. Over 100 hours of work on each pen! Handbuilt and handfinished! Plus looks to die for!!!! It's amazing.

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

I would have agreed with this sentiment about four years ago, until I wrote with one. Duponts have the smoothest nibs that I've ever used. Also, as someone has already pointed out, Dupont is one of the few remaining pen manufacturers who still produce their own nibs.

Yup, writing with one is an experience to be savored... much like MB to me:)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

Actually, is there a non metal Dupont pen?

I don't think so... any experts here to answer this?

No one's mentioned, at least on this Dupont thread, the unique click when the cap is reseated on the pen. It's a sound like no other. Like the sound of a luxury car door closing. It just exudes auditory quality. :thumbup: My Olympio (the Orpheo before the IOC forced the name change) remains one of my favorite pens.

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

No one's mentioned, at least on this Dupont thread, the unique click when the cap is reseated on the pen. It's a sound like no other. Like the sound of a luxury car door closing. It just exudes auditory quality. :thumbup: My Olympio (the Orpheo before the IOC forced the name change) remains one of my favorite pens.

I mentioned this on another thread... my introductory one I think. It's such a beautiful sound that oozes luxury. So layered, with so much texture... few people believe me when I say I hear all this from a pen cap closing. But I do!

You are absolutely right, it's like the quiet click as we close the door of our family's Mercedes. Such a subtle, understated click sound as the door closes. As opposed to the bang when we close the door of our Accord. :roflmho:

Edited by montblancdude

Curse you all! Now I want, no, must have a Dupont!

By the way, I saw a documentary some years ago about cars and it showed to what lengths the manufacturers of good cars went to make the sound of the door closing reverberate quality. Just the right amount of clickiness to convey subtle messages about the pen, I mean car.

I mentioned this on another thread... my introductory one I think. It's such a beautiful sound that oozes luxury. So layered, with so much texture... few people believe me when I say I hear all this from a pen cap closing. But I do!

You are absolutely right, it's like the quiet click as we close the door of our family's Mercedes. Such a subtle, understated click sound as the door closes. As opposed to the bang when we close the door of our Accord. :roflmho:

A dealer told me that Dupont holds a patent on the design for making the click sound when you close the pen.

I fully agree with that classy 'click' one hears when capping a Dupont. It's like no other - sometimes I with just repeatedly cap my Fidelio Coat of Mail just to hear that distinctive click :thumbup:

BTW, does Dupont produce pens with screw-on caps? :headsmack:

Shahrin B)

Well, here's a Défi = challenge for you: http://www.st-dupont.com/en/.

You might have a look at www.stylophilesonline.com however. Several articles on Dupont, one of which about the pitfalls of the many Dupont fakes.

How much is the fair value for a good condition Dupont Montparnasse ?

While out shopping just now I saw one at a pawn shop, asking from around $250.

Is that a good price ?

Hi all,

I have looked through all these forums and can't find a SINGLE thing on Dupont pens! That is so messed up! Isn't everyone aware of S.T. Dupont? They are a French manufacturer who makes high quality, beautiful (and rather expensive) pens.

Out of all the thousands of FPN members, there HAS to be at least a couple who know of and use Dupont pens! Please come out and share your thoughts on Dupont pens here.

Dupont pens are stylistically (in MY OPINION) not as beautiful as MB pens but still drop-dead gorgeous. And their nibs... the nibs are to die for. Smooth like water, stunningly buttery feel (especially on their Expert series), superlative craftsmanship. Best nibs I've ever used, on any pen, ever. Dupont puts tons of time into crafting one-of-a-kind, attractive writing instruments and they need to receive their share of discussion here.

Please post!!!!

I think there's a similar thread around somewhere, though I have no idea where. Could just be my imagination. Feiye has a pile of Duponts and would probably love them more than her kids if she had any.

I have five S. T. Dupont pens. My two Orpheos are among my very favorites, followed closely by the Montparnasse and the Fidelio. I'm less enchanted with the Classique.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sexauerw/DupontMontage.jpg

*drools over the vertigo*

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Then I've done my job...

A dealer told me that Dupont holds a patent on the design for making the click sound when you close the pen.

Are you serious? Actually, I'm not surprised...

I fully agree with that classy 'click' one hears when capping a Dupont. It's like no other - sometimes I with just repeatedly cap my Fidelio Coat of Mail just to hear that distinctive click :thumbup:

BTW, does Dupont produce pens with screw-on caps? :headsmack:

Don't think so... but I dunno.

Shahrin B)

How much is the fair value for a good condition Dupont Montparnasse ?

While out shopping just now I saw one at a pawn shop, asking from around $250.

Is that a good price ?

Seems okay.. they sell for over $400 new...