The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dupont pens

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 montblancdude

montblancdude

^^^^ You wish this pen was yours, don't you?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 22:08

Hi all,

I have looked through all these forums and can't find a SINGLE thing on Dupont pens! That is so messed up! Isn't everyone aware of S.T. Dupont? They are a French manufacturer who makes high quality, beautiful (and rather expensive) pens.

Out of all the thousands of FPN members, there HAS to be at least a couple who know of and use Dupont pens! Please come out and share your thoughts on Dupont pens here.

Dupont pens are stylistically (in MY OPINION) not as beautiful as MB pens but still drop-dead gorgeous. And their nibs... the nibs are to die for. Smooth like water, stunningly buttery feel (especially on their Expert series), superlative craftsmanship. Best nibs I've ever used, on any pen, ever. Dupont puts tons of time into crafting one-of-a-kind, attractive writing instruments and they need to receive their share of discussion here.

Please post!!!!
Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)
MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

Sponsored Content

#2 Doug Add

Doug Add

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 22:26

I don't remember which model, because I never took an interest in the pens, but one of the Dupont pens was all the rage on one of the fp message boards about 11 years ago.

#3 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 22:32

Dupont pen is very nice. It has a very smooth nib and nicely balance. However, if you get the large lacquered version they are on the heavy side. I have two which I really love.

Dupont pen is one of those pens that is understated. If you have a chance go try it out you will love it.

Andy

#4 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:06

Why are you saying there's no mention of Dupont pens? You'll find it if you look. Did you try the search feature? I've heard about them on these boards; I think one of the main reasons why they aren't so popular is that they're in a price range where they're competing against piston-filled pens, and most people prefer those.

#5 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,768 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:10

Here are some reviews:
http://www.fountainp...?showtopic=1711
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=15972
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=99936
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=76549
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=23239
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=67152

#6 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:10

I have five S. T. Dupont pens. My two Orpheos are among my very favorites, followed closely by the Montparnasse and the Fidelio. I'm less enchanted with the Classique.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#7 Jjota

Jjota

everybody's Sumgai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:14

MBD - I never hesitate to recommend Dupont's, particularly due to their nibs having few peers. Similar to Caran d' Ache, many people see ST Dupont as a 'luxury' pen manufacturer (ala Cartier), but their products function easily as well if not better then most pens out there. You can even pick up LNIB Fidelio's on the bay < $200 which is a great bargain (but be careful of fakes)

#8 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:27

Dupont is not a pen manufacturer. I would consider their selection if they devote 100% of their focus to make pens and only pens. They are most famous for making a certain lighter with a unique sound. I don't trust luxury companies that sell on designs and outsource the real work to others, even if they were reputable makers.
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#9 Doug Add

Doug Add

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:31

Orpheo, thanks Bill. That's the one so many people on iKonpen were crazy about back in the late '90s.

#10 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:33

QUOTE (Pepin @ May 31 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dupont is not a pen manufacturer. I would consider their selection if they devote 100% of their focus to make pens and only pens. They are most famous for making a certain lighter with a unique sound. I don't trust luxury companies that sell on designs and outsource the real work to others, even if they were reputable makers.

I beg to differ! S. T. Dupont makes some of the finest pens in the world. And they don't outsource much. They even make their own natural Chinese lacquer, selecting the raw material at the source and doing their own processing. I certainly do consider them to be a pen manufacturer, and a premier one at that.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#11 punch

punch

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 23:47

DuPont pens are my favorite. I have two Olympios that I write with daily. While I have more Pelikans and Lamys than DuPonts, I flow twice as much ink through the DuPonts as the other pens combined.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

#12 Greenpiece

Greenpiece

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:03

A Dupont Orpheo is my grail pen. I've gotten almost all of the pens on my wish list, so now it's down to just the Dupont. I tried one a couple years ago at Joon in New York, and I knew right then that this was the best pen I'd ever tried.

#13 montblancdude

montblancdude

• Member - Gold

• 1,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:09

QUOTE (Tsujigiri @ May 31 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you saying there's no mention of Dupont pens? You'll find it if you look. Did you try the search feature? I've heard about them on these boards; I think one of the main reasons why they aren't so popular is that they're in a price range where they're competing against piston-filled pens, and most people prefer those.

I guess you're right... I just didn't look. They are quite expensive.

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

#14 montblancdude

montblancdude

• Member - Gold

• 1,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:10

QUOTE (sexauerw @ May 31 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Pepin @ May 31 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beg to differ! S. T. Dupont makes some of the finest pens in the world. And they don't outsource much. They even make their own natural Chinese lacquer, selecting the raw material at the source and doing their own processing. I certainly do consider them to be a pen manufacturer, and a premier one at that.

I agree 205%smile.gif

#15 montblancdude

montblancdude

• Member - Gold

• 1,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:11

QUOTE (Greenpiece @ May 31 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Dupont Orpheo is my grail pen. I've gotten almost all of the pens on my wish list, so now it's down to just the Dupont. I tried one a couple years ago at Joon in New York, and I knew right then that this was the best pen I'd ever tried.

Like I said... BEST. NIBS. EVER.

#16 toyota

toyota

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:36

Second the motion about their nibs, they are as good as my sailor nibs.
IMHO my duponts write better than my MBs.
QUOTE (montblancdude @ Jun 1 2009, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Greenpiece @ May 31 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said... BEST. NIBS. EVER.

#17 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

Unashamed Montblanc Fanboy

• Member - Gold

• 2,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2009 - 00:51

I've honestly never really considered Dupont due to their use of C/C as a filling system. Maybe when I have some pocket money I'll check them out.

PRAG
Montblanc 145, F nib.
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib.
Montblanc 149, F nib.
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib.
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib.
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP

#18 Shalori

Shalori

Do or do not, there is no try.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:58

There are a few of us Dupont fans out there. I own more of these pens than I care to admit and they are all great writers. Every nib that I have tried was super smooth, from Extra fine to Stub. Although, the old extra Fines are smoother than the newly designed extra fines.

My standard Olympios are, IMHO, very elegant and classy but the ST Dupont Limited Editions are absolutely amazing. Most of the times they have the ability to truly capture the spirit of their subject such that you only need to look at the pen and you immediately know the inspiration.

ST Dupont is, by far, my favorite pen manufacturer.

Regards,

Neil

#19 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:17

The Dupont Montparnasse pens are ones that I would dearly like to try.

#20 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:54

I don't like them cause they're heavy (not a brass bodied pen kinda guy)
I do LOVE their lighters, even though they're finicky as hell

Sponsored Content

|