Waterman Phileas thoughts

montblancdude

Hi guys,

What do you all think of the Waterman Phileas? Does anyone here own one or more? I own it in black - I received it as my first fountain pen and I LOVE it! It's so smooth and feels amazing when writing, easy to maintain and looks great to boot, really a great beginner's pen.

This one's a keeper... I may own some $400+ pens when I grow up but I'll always hold on to my Phileas. Yes, I like it that much.

Thoughts? Post please!

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Ray-Vigo

• montblancdude

• returnofpenguy

I know I am out of step with the general consensus, but I find them really cheap looking and can't understand what all the fuss is about! The nibs are smooth though, which is what it's all about.

@leoniethomas18

I know I am out of step with the general consensus, but I find them really cheap looking and can't understand what all the fuss is about! The nibs are smooth though, which is what it's all about.

Well, they look quite nice actually. I agree the back gold ring looks as if it was added as an afterthought but everything else is nice. It looks and writes like a much more expensive pen. I only paid $40 for it.

Granted, the resin isn't as "precious" or "rich" as Waterman's Expert series or the Carene, but it still feels nice to the hand. Waterman added a brass weight in the end of the pen to give the pen a nice, heavy feel - a great idea. The pen feels like it cost much more and feels very satisfying to hold and write with.

And my personal favorite part - the nib. AMAZING for a pen of this price range. So smooth you can barely feel the paper, even better with the right ink.

What I like most about Waterman is they pay the same amount of attention to detail to their lowest tier pens as they do to their highest tier pens. All their pens, from the Phileas all the way up to their limited editions, have the same great luxurious feel and satisfying quality that is a hallmark of the brand.

Just my two cents...

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

For the price, you can't beat it. The art deco styling is either love it or hate. Personally I like it.

Regards,

Al

A nice looking pen in my opinion, and a great pen for beginners, I have even put one down (with some good port) for future generations.

Easy to use, trouble free and nice nib, if you can find one in a broad nib, buy it!

A nice looking pen in my opinion, and a great pen for beginners, I have even put one down (with some good port) for future generations.

Easy to use, trouble free and nice nib, if you can find one in a broad nib, buy it!

Indeed... what color do you own?

I have one in the red marble finish and admit that the printed plastic doesn't look very expensive. I think the point about the Phileas was the quality of the nib and the pen quality over all at such a reasonable price point, which was about $32 when I bought mine several years ago. They're getting harder to find now, and the price is going up on them, so that they're not quite the value that they once were.

As always, Lewertoski on ebay - and a member here - is to be considered, good value and prompt delivery and a huge range on offer.

Hi guys,

What do you all think of the Waterman Phileas? Does anyone here own one or more? I own it in black - I received it as my first fountain pen and I LOVE it! It's so smooth and feels amazing when writing, easy to maintain and looks great to boot, really a great beginner's pen.

This one's a keeper... I may own some $400+ pens when I grow up but I'll always hold on to my Phileas. Yes, I like it that much.

Thoughts? Post please!

Yes indeed! I have two. A green one and a black one, medium and fine. So silky smooth and so cheap!!

I've had bunch of these pens, and love the way they write. My gripe is there ought to be a nib size between the fine and medium. I like my fine nibs, but the medium is just way too broad.

I have two right now, both old style marbled colors in red and blue, and my son has two also. Excellent value, smooth writers.

I like the way the fine nib writes, and find the medium a bit wide for my taste.

Overall I find it a good reliable writer.

Still, I think it is a good $15 school pen and disagree with Waterman's current market positioning.

YMMV

I like them. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics (though I've used far uglier pens), but it has a nice weight, balances well in the hand, and has an excellent nib. What else do you need?

I like them. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics (though I've used far uglier pens), but it has a nice weight, balances well in the hand, and has an excellent nib. What else do you need?

I have it in black and it looks the nicest, I think. No marble finish.

• 5 weeks later...

I wished I knew the Phileas came in black when I bought mine. I would have gotten it instead, but I still like the green just fine. I think I bought mine around 4~5 years ago and just recently started using it again.

With the PR ink, I like it so much better.

Waterman Phileas Green Marble F

Waterman Laureat Red Marble F

Parker 51 F

Namiki Vanishing Point Black/Rhodium M

Use one every day. Red marble look. Pop top so it's convenient and I like the look . The nib finish is pedestrian though, and this is an isue with even more expensive models. Look under a magnifier and the finishes are dodgy, but I'm comparing it with much more expensive pens and that's not fair.

Thanks

I use Kultur almost daily and it is a very good pen. It is a great value if you consider its price. It always starts without a problem which I cannot say for my more expensive pens.

I bought two Phileas as a gift to my friends. One fell in love with it, the other gave no feedback yet.

Too bad that the Sanford executives decided to stop this line.

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

Have two, a black in F and a red marble in M. They both look great and are good writers. Bought it from a fellow FPN PH early this year. Thanks Chito! aka Soloworx

I have several Phileas pens and my wife has one that I gave her. She was not 'into' fountain pens until I convinced her to try the Phileas. She loves it so much that when a co-worker damaged the nib on her pen when she wasn't around she was upset, so I got her a new one with an italic medium which she loves more!

I have Phileas in colors that I'm told were only available in Europe, solid red with black edging on the cap lip, solid green and solid blue with the same black edging. I also have four black Phileas fps because they are so comfortable to use, easy to carry in my pocket or my book bag. The steel nibs work wonderfully. Whenever I wonder what pen to use Phileas is always on the top few. :thumbup:

"God's not interested in operating a brownie-point system - he's only interested in loving and forgiving those who are brave enough not to deny what they've done. . . brave enough to be truly sorry, brave enough to resolve to make a fresh start in serving him as well as they possibly can" Susan Howatch

Don't get me wrong -- I like my Phileas very much. It's become my everyday, go everywhere, knockaround pen. But let's face it: it is cheap. The plastic body has a cheap feel to it. The good news is the cheap plastic is lightweight, and combined with a smooth nib I can write page after page without strain. Too bad the pen is now overpriced, even at $55 (Staples).

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Don't get me wrong -- I like my Phileas very much. It's become my everyday, go everywhere, knockaround pen. But let's face it: it is cheap. The plastic body has a cheap feel to it. The good news is the cheap plastic is lightweight, and combined with a smooth nib I can write page after page without strain. Too bad the pen is now overpriced, even at $55 (Staples).

hmm, i just bought a phileas at office max, with the whole kit (bottle of ink, converter, cartridges, ect...) for under $55.