2month UV Fade Test

Aimsport

The alternate title for this topic is a patient person's way to get unlined Staples Sugarcane Paper..... let it fade in the sun for two months.

UV Test 2 months of the following inks:

Legal Lapis, Noodlers Black, Nakahama Waleman's Sepia, Bay State Blue, Borealis Black, Luxury Blue, La Reigne Mauve, Platinum Carbon Black, Fox Red

UVFadeTest2months.pdf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aimsport

• Lloyd

• Philip1209

• loweevan

Wow, very cool. Thanks for doing this. It is impressive to see how well the bulletproof and carbon-based inks held up. Even the shading of La Reine Mauve was retained. Did you leave it in the sunlight or did you keep it under a UV lamp?

Interesting - thanks a lot for doing and sharing this!!!

The alternate title for this topic is a patient person's way to get unlined Staples Sugarcane Paper..... let it fade in the sun for two months.

UV Test 2 months of the following inks:

Legal Lapis, Noodlers Black, Nakahama Waleman's Sepia, Bay State Blue, Borealis Black, Luxury Blue, La Reigne Mauve, Platinum Carbon Black, Fox Red

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

So can we take from this test that the remedy for BSB stained pens is to leave them in a windowsill all summer long? ;)

I'm surprised by the Whaleman and the Baystate Blue doing so poorly.

I'm impressed by the Borealis doing moderately well.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

The BSB is waterproof, but not UV or bleach proof.

I thought that BSB was only partially waterproof?

It would be interesting if you detailed the experimental conditions (e.g., latitude, was this outside/inside or exposed to light through a window, paper type, etc.). This would make this an excellent datum.

It would be interesting if you detailed the experimental conditions (e.g., latitude, was this outside/inside or exposed to light through a window, paper type, etc.). This would make this an excellent datum.

This might be especially true since I think auto glass (such as in car windows) is designed to filter out UV light. Not sure if home glass is the same or not.

Care to fill us in?

Well for you, if you wrestle on, for in persistency lies victory, and with the morning may come the wished-for blessing. But not always; there is a struggle with defeat which some of you will have to bear, and it will be well for you if you have cultivated a cheerful equanimity. Remember, too, that sometimes 'from our desolation only does the better life begin.' Even with disaster ahead, it is better to face them with a smile, and with the head erect, than to crouch at their approach. And, if the fight is for principle and justice, even when failure seems certain, where many have failed before, cling to your ideal, and, like Childe Roland before the dark tower, set the slug-horn to your lips, blow the challenge, and calmly await the conflict.

--"Aequanimitas" William Osler

Valedictory Address, University of Pennsylvania, May 1, 1889

This might be especially true since I think auto glass (such as in car windows) is designed to filter out UV light. Not sure if home glass is the same or not.

Care to fill us in?

elevation 450 ft.

40N latitude

Due East Exposure, approximately 1 1/4 hours of morning shade after sunrise due to tree line.

behind late 90's double-pane glass

If it's behind a glass... then there's really very little UV by the way. Regular glass (such as used in windows) filters it really effectively. But a good test, really informative, non the less: shows what not to leave lying on your table unprotected.

Thank you for the test, is a great way to check how inks truly behave. You find surprises quite often, mostly on the bad side.

I'm with ofpwriter in that the window panes will filter quite a bit UV:

UV Reduction:

- Average clear glass filters 25%

- Dual-pane glass filters 50%

- Low-E glass filters 60%

- Special filter UV panes, 99%

Latitude/Longitude also have great influence. Try leaving anything for a month facing south or east under the blinding, burning sun of the Mediterranean. It will be eaten up and crumbled into dust.

I really enjoyed the test. Thank you.

Nice test, thanks!

I'd love to see a time-lapsed film showing several inks fading over the course of weeks.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'm taking it for granted I suppose that the left hand side was covered in some way or another to save the ink from exposure to the uv light?

I'm surprised by the Whaleman and the Baystate Blue doing so poorly.

I'm impressed by the Borealis doing moderately well.

I too am surprised by the Whaleman's sepia, but suspect that it's due to not shaking the ink before use. My experience has shown the color to be much darker than what is shown on the left, and also that this dark color is prone to separating and falling out of suspension. A recent accident with a pen and pants pocket, as well as some water tests, leads me to believe that it is the black portion that falls out of suspension that contains the bulletproof qualities, even if washing leaves behind the red color. Perhaps I'm wrong?

- Evan