How to open a fountain pen...

Keith with a capital K

I was just reading about Cam's problem with his new Legacy and the faint of heart should really avoid looking at that thread as the pictures are shocking.

I thought this would be a good time to remind people how to properly open a fountain pen as the damage to Cam's pen is much like that kind of damage that happens when people use the wrong methods to open a pen.

What one has to avoid is the two handed method many may have become accustomed to because they were using stick pens with tight caps. This is where the cap is held in one hand and the pen barrel is held in the other and you pull and jerk the pen open with significant effort. I really cringe when I see people hold a pen in front of them and open it like they were unsheathing a samurai sword.

This is a really risky venture as opening a fountain pen in this manner can cause the pen's nib to strike the cap and in the case of metal capped pens, the nib will be damaged and with plastic or celluloid pens, the cap will be probably the primary victim.

I actually had a young lady at Staples take an all metal Cross Townsend from the display and open it in the samurai manner and as good as I am, I wasn't fast enough to stop her. I heard the nib as it struck the cap and sure enough, the nib had been badly bent.

Quite simply...don't do this.

I like using the one handed method.

With a slip capped pen: I use my 2,3,and 4th fingers to secure the barrel and my index finger and thumb to loosen the cap. I can then use my free hand to lift the cap from the pen.

With screw caps: I still use one hand and being rather dexterous, I unscrew the cap with my thumb and index finger before removing the cap with my free hand. In watching people I see that most use two hands to do this, one hand to hold the pen and the other to do the unscrewing which is fine.

The most important thing to remember is that although the pen is mightier than the sword, you are not a Samurai.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keith with a capital K

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files