The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine WES Imperial Blue

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 20:19

I fell in love with this ink instantly. It has a vibrant, deep violet blue colour which is a pleasure to look at when writing. I've become a great fan of Diamine inks: No flow problems, broad colour range, affordable, reliable etc etc, and this is no exception from that. This has already become one of my daily regulars.

Attached Images

• wes_imperial_blue.jpg

Edited by dandelion, 25 May 2009 - 21:23.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Sponsored Content

#2 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 21:04

Very nice review, just ordered some!
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#3 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 21:13

QUOTE (dandelion @ May 25 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I in love with this ink instantly. It has a vibrant, deep violet blue colour which is a pleasure to look at when writing. I've become a great fan of Diamine inks: No flow problems, broad colour range, affordable, reliable etc etc, and this is no exception from that. This has already become one of my daily regulars.

I always like to see inks reviewed and find that the 'flaw' I saw was the benefit for another! headsmack.gif

I stayed with Majestic blue because of the violet thumbup.gif I will whole heartedly agree tha Diamine is an incredible ink that is starting to gain on some of the other breath of portfolios that certain other ink companies have. To see the number of different blues for a start keeps me hoping that the green line will soon be expanded to have a dark more earthen green.

And I should add nice handwriting as well! Oh that my scratches could conform better crybaby.gif

K

#4 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,623 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 21:21

I like this ink and have been using it on a regular basis for a couple of years. Maybe it's my monitor but I don't get the heavy violet shade but I do get a ton of shading from a fairly wet pen. Thanks for the review.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#5 dandelion

dandelion

• Member - Gold

• 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 22:24

Thanks for positive response on my review!

Kurt, I agree that as a pure blue (which I should have added in the review) it is a failure, but the violet shade in it really got to me. I'm very eager to try the majestic, but I try to get a grip of myself - if I get too much inks (and pens) I feel like I don't have the time to fully enjoy and appreciate them.
If you haven't tried the Royal Blue, which is blue as the sky in a summer morning, I recommend it very much. I thought it would be to pale for my taste, but it is a piece of summer - perfect for writing letters during this season. If Diamine hadn't been so generous with adding freebies I would never have tried it.

Greencobra, I do think this is a chameleon ink. It is a heavy violet blue in my review. In some pens or on some papers it is more blueish/violet than others. I don't know why. In my broader (but not very wet) nibs and on some papers, it gets a very heavy lean to violet, but on some papers/with other nibs it is more of a classical blue.

QUOTE ((bleep) @ May 25 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dandelion @ May 25 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I in love with this ink instantly. It has a vibrant, deep violet blue colour which is a pleasure to look at when writing. I've become a great fan of Diamine inks: No flow problems, broad colour range, affordable, reliable etc etc, and this is no exception from that. This has already become one of my daily regulars.

I always like to see inks reviewed and find that the 'flaw' I saw was the benefit for another! headsmack.gif

I stayed with Majestic blue because of the violet thumbup.gif I will whole heartedly agree tha Diamine is an incredible ink that is starting to gain on some of the other breath of portfolios that certain other ink companies have. To see the number of different blues for a start keeps me hoping that the green line will soon be expanded to have a dark more earthen green.

And I should add nice handwriting as well! Oh that my scratches could conform better crybaby.gif

K

QUOTE (greencobra @ May 25 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like this ink and have been using it on a regular basis for a couple of years. Maybe it's my monitor but I don't get the heavy violet shade but I do get a ton of shading from a fairly wet pen. Thanks for the review.

#6 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 23:11

Thanks for the review. I found Imperial Blue to be a bit wishy-washy in my Capless, and I use Sapphire Blue instead. Perhaps it will work better in one of my Tombows?

I agree about Royal Blue though: a lovely, light true blue.

I've not tried Majestic Blue though it's been getting rave reviews here, so I suppose I'll have to try it soon.

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 23:22

I was surprised by the purpleness of this ink. I ended up selling mine and went with Presidential Blue.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:53

I love 'blurples'.
How does it compare to Diamine Sapphire Blue?
@leoniethomas18

#9 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:45

QUOTE (MiniMaupassant @ Jun 3 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love 'blurples'.

I'm a blurpleaholic too. How does it compare to the Sapphire?
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#10 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,216 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 14:33

I had a horrible time cleaning Diamine Sapphire out of my pens; far worse than my other inks (Pilot, Noodlers, PR, MB, Levenger, Waterman). How hard are Majestic Blue and Imperial Blue to flush?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#11 Idiopathos

Idiopathos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 23:23

QUOTE (dandelion @ May 25 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fell in love with this ink instantly. It has a vibrant, deep violet blue colour which is a pleasure to look at when writing. I've become a great fan of Diamine inks: No flow problems, broad colour range, affordable, reliable etc etc, and this is no exception from that. This has already become one of my daily regulars.

Yep. It is my daily blue. An absolutely excellent ink.

#12 tonysameh

tonysameh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 15:24

QUOTE (MiniMaupassant @ Jun 3 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love 'blurples'.

I HATE blurples.
I can write with a true violet. But buying a (blue) ink to find it purple, makes me sick.
It is an ugly color for me.

a victim of ordering two blurples on shot: Imperial and Sapphire. I was lucky that I ordered Flordia Blue with them. My loss is 66%

#13 DerMann

DerMann

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 17:53

Unfortunately I'm not too fond of this ink either.

I expected something along the lines of a Royal Blue, a blue with a hint of purple - not purple with a hint of blue.

Still, the ink itself, apart from the colour, is next to flawless. Perfectly behaved. Flows just right, dries quickly enough, and doesn't feather.

I think Presidential or Prussian blue is something that would be worth trying (for me).

My bottle was accidentally discarded, not quite sure if I'll miss it.

EDIT

Also, I'd like to say that the scan looks quite accurate on my monitor.

Edited by DerMann, 12 June 2009 - 18:14.

Collection:
Waterman: 52V BCHR, 55 BCHR
Sheaffer: Peacock Blue Snorkel Sentinel, Black Snorkel Admiral, Persian Blue Touchdown Statesman
Parker: Silver 1946 Vacumatic, 1929 Lacquer red Duofold Senior, Burgundy "51" Special
Misc: Reform 1745, Hero 616, two pen holders and about 20 nibs.

#14 RickM

RickM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:59

I'll add my voice to those who like this ink. I will admit that I was a bit surprised by the purplish hue, but as I continued to write with it over a week, it grew on me to the point that I'm sure it'll be a regular in my rotation. I currently have it in a Pel M400 EF and it is very well behaved. No issues at all.

Rick

#15 Will

Will

Rear Admiral of the Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:13

I bought this over a year ago and I found that it wasn't quite what I was after - I didn't really want the purple undertones. The funny thing is that this is my 10 year old daughter's favourite ink. I keep having to fill her school pen with it. One person's loss is another person's gain.

#16 nickyd

nickyd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:12

I give up.--What does W.E.S. stand for?
N.

#17 Liverpool 1

Liverpool 1

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:44

QUOTE (nickyd @ Jun 15 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
N.

WES Imperial Blue was originally made as a special edition colour for the Writing Equipment Society however it proved so popular it was incorporated into the New Century range a few years back.

#18 PaulT00

PaulT00

trainee nutcase

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:44

QUOTE (Lloyd @ Jun 3 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a horrible time cleaning Diamine Sapphire out of my pens; far worse than my other inks (Pilot, Noodlers, PR, MB, Levenger, Waterman). How hard are Majestic Blue and Imperial Blue to flush?

Haven't tried Majestic yet, but I've found that WES Imperial Blue can be difficult to clean out completely. There is a very strong pink dye (magenta) in the formulation which I found quite tenacious - I had it in a Waterman 52 1/2V for a while and ended up having to fill it with water and leave to sit overnight for several days to soak the stuff out. At the end the water was still coming out with a pink tinge... but as that pen is now loaded with Diamine Orange it's less of an issue than it might have been.

So... nice ink, nice colour, pain to flush.

#19 dandelion

dandelion

• Member - Gold

• 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:11

Interesting to see that the opinions on this ink seem to be very pro or con. I haven't tried the Sapphire, so I can't compare it, but I have experienced the same difficulties with cleaning this ink out. As I like it a lot it is just a minor drawback.

#20 nickyd

nickyd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 20:56

QUOTE (Liverpool 1 @ Jun 15 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nickyd @ Jun 15 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
N.

WES Imperial Blue was originally made as a special edition colour for the Writing Equipment Society however it proved so popular it was incorporated into the New Century range a few years back.

Thanks for that! thumbup.gif
N.

Sponsored Content

|