The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ancora Perla Frankenpen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flodoc

flodoc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:25

This will be a brief description of a conversion I am very happy with. Of the four Ancora's that I own, three have Bexley nibs; two fines and a broad.

Ancora_Perla_Cracked_Ice.jpg

The pen pictured here is the blue cracked ice which originally had a rhodium plated 18k fine nib. The original was scratchy and did not flow well. I have successfully adjusted flow and smoothed other nibs but the Ancora did not respond well to my efforts. I like the unique appearance of the Ancora Perlas and wanted to keep the pen if I could make it a pleasant writer as well. The tapered section with threads at the base of the nib does not bother me and I like the balance of the pen uncapped. Enter Brian Gray. He had a fine 18k Bexley nib and two 14k plain Bock nibs (He had commissioned his own nibs and had some leftover non-Edison nibs). Brian also included several section adapters so that I would have flexibility to install the nibs on varioius brand pens. I went crazy swapping nibs to get the combinations I desired. More about the other pens later.

Ancora_Perla_Cracked_Ice_2.jpg

The Bexley nib makes all the difference in the world. It does not lay down quite as fine a line as the original nib, but it does lay down a medium-fine and wet line which suits me well. It is also very smooth, with just the right amount of feedback, which is minimal. The bi-color Bexley nib does not look out of place with the silver furniture and its proportions are just as good, if not better, than the Ancora nib. The only difference in appearance that I see is the Ancora nib is slightly wider at its widest point than the Bexley.

The bottom line is that I converted two Ancoras that I would have otherwise sold and rescued one whose nib was so badly mangled when I received it that I could not resusitate it. I really do not consider these Frankenpens so much as pens with nib replacements. All of the nibs in question were produced by Bock, they just have different names and engraving on them than the originals. It is kind of like swapping Warrented nibs on vintage pens.

More nib swap examples to come.

Edited by flodoc, 22 May 2009 - 04:27.

Sponsored Content

#2 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:44

Wow. Ancoras have my absolute favorite nibs, so I can't imagine having to replace them.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#3 flodoc

flodoc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2009 - 21:09

I buy most of my pens on ebay, not having access to a nearby brick and mortar store. That may explain why I end up with so many pens that need either TLC for the nib or a replacement.

#4 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:50

First, thanks for an interesting review.

I know Bexley nibs write excellently, so I can imagine you are very content with your Frankenpens. Like Deirdre, I cannot quite grasp why one would want to swap out original Ancora nibs, which I have found to be very good quality. However, if the original nibs were damaged or otherwise nonfunctional, that is "a bird with completely different colored feathers" (Babe Ruth).

Enjoy the Anchorleys (or Bexcoras). tongue.gif

Edited by FrankB, 23 May 2009 - 17:37.

#5 MikeW

MikeW

Been here a long time!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:32

The only reason why there may have been a problem is that I read somewhere that the Ancora nibs were all set by hand, however, their quality control was not the best. This led to some inconsistency in the performance of the nibs. It was bad enough that the information that I read suggested not buying an Ancora pen unless you were able to try it first. Whether there is any truth to this, I don't know. I have a near- mint Ancora Perla in red and it has a fabulous nib (the only problem is that the cap will not post to the barrel - which I can't seem to get a definitive answer on either). I have been trying to selling it but no takers yet.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

#6 AndreaDuni

AndreaDuni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2009 - 23:10

I have the same pen, an Ancora Perla cracked ice, as you can see on my flickr album. I have to still review the pen, and I hope to not have the same problem with the nib. Also because in Italy is not very easy to find a nib replacement with feed adapter of any kind.
<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook...ainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin....m/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

#7 Bobby Check

Bobby Check

Bobby Check

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2009 - 22:16

I have the same pen with an original B nib that I bought on the internet.

Nice juicy writer.

Now... where did you put those nibs?

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

Sponsored Content

|