I Won an Auction

Breck

Well, "tavarezjulian9", like so many of those who gave him positive feedback*, is no longer a registered eBay user.

I guess I don't have to worry about getting negative feedback for not paying. He sent me another invoice around midnight my time last night, to which I replied that I was unable to pay. He had never responded to my request for a photo with proof of date, I'd tried to phone him several times, and the deal was off.

His other auctions were slated to end this evening, and they're gone, obviously.

I'm sure this is one of -- I don't know, dozens? of accounts this person or mini-cabal has set up.

I will be much more thorough in my investigation of sellers' feedback in the future. Dodged a bullet this time.

That's the good news.

The better news is that all this agita was about a Flighter "51", and I won one (from a very respectable seller, whose auctions I've been watching for some time) last night!

Sure, my winning bid was ~$100 more than I would've paid "tavarezjulian9", but I'll actually be getting the pen this time! w00t! Flighter!!! Whoo-hoo!!!

Anyway, a happy ending, and I hope that others can learn from my experience. I know I sure have.

*the only member who gave this puppet positive feedback who's still active is "stonewriter". Look out for that guy.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breck

• sirksael

• fcw

• Anton Emdin

Glad you dodged this one! and congrats on the find. Be sure to spoil us with pics when you get it :)

And there goes my faith in humanity...

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

I just purchased a L'etalon from a person with only one feedback. Every thing went great with the transaction.

I guess I don't have to worry about getting negative feedback for not paying.

Actually, I don't believe that can happen now. Ebay changed their policy last year, and sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers; their only choices are positive feedback, or no feedback.

Of course, the seller can file a "non-paying buyer" claim with eBay, but if your suspicions about them are right, it's hard to imagine they'd want to draw eBay's attention to their auctions anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Letter to a Seller:

Dear Sir:

I am extremely displeased with the "MINT" "AS NEW" pen you shipped and wish to return it. I knew I was purchasing a 1930's vintage pen with some possible minor cosmetic defects but the item you sent is below all serious expectations.

To list:

The top of the cap is badly crazed, the celluloid has degraded irreparably.

The side of the cap opposite the clip has been polished off excessively creating a 1/3" long, deep and rough irrepairable defect.

The cap band is not flush with the cap body.

The clip's ball is brassed.

The nib point has been cut off into an oblique point.

The nib point has been cut off so that there is no original iridium tip anymore.

The ebonite feed has been polished off leaving 2 small flat spots.

The ebonite feed has 2 damaged fins.

The black section at the base of the nib has been burned off.

The lever mechanism may not be operational, judging from its irregular dragging feel.

Pieces of the rubber sac keep coming off the pen.

Please kindly remit return instructions.

So remember: CAVEAT EMPTOR

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens