How do I replace the ink sac?

Vanrensalier

Update: I got the nib out easily. I'd been trying to unscrew the section. Now, I still have no success getting the section out...

Glad you're making progress. :thumbup:

If you haven't already, get a pair of rubber jar opener sheets ("cap snaffler" was one name they were sold under); they greatly improve your grip friction without increasing the stress on the pen. Longer term, a small strap wrench is actually useful for gripping sections, and cheaper the purpose-built section pliers, but from what I've read, it appears that the distributed pressure of a whole hand (with a rubber grip sheet) is preferred on the barrel side to avoid possibly collapsing the thin celluloid.

If I need a "gripper", I like to use a cut open section of bicycle innertube. I find it tackier, thinner and easier to get a good

grip with than other solutions for that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Vanrensalier

• ZeissIkon

• xfrench

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update: I got the nib out easily. I'd been trying to unscrew the section. Now, I still have no success getting the section out...

Glad you're making progress. :thumbup:

If you haven't already, get a pair of rubber jar opener sheets ("cap snaffler" was one name they were sold under); they greatly improve your grip friction without increasing the stress on the pen. Longer term, a small strap wrench is actually useful for gripping sections, and cheaper the purpose-built section pliers, but from what I've read, it appears that the distributed pressure of a whole hand (with a rubber grip sheet) is preferred on the barrel side to avoid possibly collapsing the thin celluloid.

If I need a "gripper", I like to use a cut open section of bicycle innertube. I find it tackier, thinner and easier to get a good

grip with than other solutions for that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Probably a good choice if you have access to a bicycle that doesn't need its inner tube any more... :headsmack: ...you can even sort of imitate a "human strap wrench" with that kind of gripper, if it's wide enough and long enough.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

If you have a bicycle shop near you just give them a call, they just toss them in the garbage.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Used inner tubes I've got. I'll pull out my hair dryer...

Strap wrench? I see the references to the spark plug wire pliers, but what's a strap wrench?

Yes, it's unlikely that I would pay someone else to work on this one, although I have no issues with it. I just find that with going to garage sales etc, two truisms come up: having things fixed is usually about what you'd spend on the open market to begin with (unless it's a special thing) and there's always more out there. So, if I can suss this puppy out, I might invest in a new nib (the 9048 - medium shaded? - sounds sexy) and call it good.

x

Update:

Brilliant. Gentle heat did the trick. I do see some slightly reddish brown residue where the section seats in the barrel, but no idea if that means anything. The sac looks good, flexy, not brittle at all, maybe it was replaced at some point.

Any considerations before I put ink into it and try it? Should I draw water and or solution into it first? I've red the rap on ink, so I'll look for something suitable...

x

Edited by xfrench