Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe-review

goodguy

Love Poe, and love the pen, but I've always thought The Raven a piece of campy trash. If Poe had been alive in the 1980's, I'm sure he would have been collaborating with Blue Oyster Cult. 'Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary' - It's Hallmark Gothic!

The Alan Parsons Project, actually.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Ghost Plane

• goodguy

• QM2

Love Poe, and love the pen, but I've always thought The Raven a piece of campy trash. If Poe had been alive in the 1980's, I'm sure he would have been collaborating with Blue Oyster Cult. 'Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary' - It's Hallmark Gothic!

The Alan Parsons Project, actually.

A very good album with a neat cover. Took me awhile to figure it was a person wrapped in recording tape on the front!

K

Thank you for the review Amir :puddle: this is one of the most beautiful of the WE. I love the depth of those blue patterns!

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Well done and one of my favourites, but if only they'd used celluloid instead of resin. LE 17,000.

Thanks.

Congrats and thanks for the review Amir... Unfortunately I keep getting 'distracted' and have plans for a couple more 149s, so it'll be a while till my next WE (apart from the soon to be Fitzgerald at least)...

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

For sale: All in mint condition!! —Email me!

• * Nakaya Akatamenuri Writer Portable with Sterling Silver Snake stopper with Ruby eyes, 14k Elastic Soft nib.
  • * Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black and Turtle Brown FPs (Both M-nibs)

Dear Mr Goodguy,

Thank you for your review Poe is on one of my 3 favorite all time writers (the others being Wilde and Dostoievsky) and the Raven is surly my favorite Poem although it took many readings and a long time to understand it, since I'm also not a native English speaker.

The Raven on the nib is the main reason why I would really like to buy this pen some day (oh the price ! Oh the price !!)

I not sure if I enjoy the dark blue and gold of the pen, but i think it suits the authors' dark personality.

By the way, I believe Tzutzik will enjoy reading "the black cat" , one of Poe's most famous horror stories. But since it's kind of scary, don't let him read it at night.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just purchased this pen for my husband, and I am relieved to see such a fantastic review. I know it is old (from 2005), but I am glad it was kept online so I could get some feedback. Can't wait to get the pen set (yep, I bought the trio for Dear Ol' Hubby). I may have to try it out myself!

Regards,

MM

Great pen and probably the most beautiful color of the resin in the WEs to date ( Yes, like it better than the Proust), however, the elongated black end of the cap detracts, in my opinion. Great nib in M.

Thanks for a nice review.

Edited by Iowapens

Just purchased this pen for my husband, and I am relieved to see such a fantastic review. I know it is old (from 2005), but I am glad it was kept online so I could get some feedback. Can't wait to get the pen set (yep, I bought the trio for Dear Ol' Hubby). I may have to try it out myself!

Regards,

MM

I suspect there'll be another pen in the house soon. :bunny01:

Gorgeous pen and nice review (and what an adorable cat!). This is one Montblanc that I would love to own. It is a beautiful pen! Maybe one day!

(being a native of Maryland- I was born in Baltimore, Poe is quite appropriate)

Really nice review. Terrific combination of photos and description. The Poe is one of my favorite writers and like many MBs there is good attention to the little things. Enjoy your fine new pen.

I have WE Poe ball point pen, pencil, and fountain pen. Beautiful writer, well made, and a joy to enjoy. I have Poe's book of poetry - enjoy reading it and look at the pen set. MB did a beautiful job incribing my signature on the 3 pieces. Enjoy!

Edited by haltugal

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 146 and a Verne as well, and although all 3 all appear to be the same length and width, the Poe is the only one I naturally grip that makes it long enough for my hand.

• 5 years later...

Hello,

This is my daily writer and I love it on all levels, it writes amazing and looks great. I highly recommend it to anyone lucky enough to find one.

Thanks for the Review