Waterman Man 200 nib problem

linnicky

I have a Man 200 with a medium nib. It has severe skipping. So I bought a new stub nib but has skipping problem again. Anything can be done?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• linnicky

• GardenWeasel

• RoyalBlue

• jigesh

I have a Man 200 with a medium nib. It has severe skipping. So I bought a new stub nib but has skipping problem again. Anything can be done?

In some instances, new pens/feeds/nibs can have residual oils/plastics/"liquid" let on/in them from the manufacturing process. Giving the pen/converter/feed/nib and good cleaning and soaking in an ammonia/water solution, followed by massive flushing with cool tap water can remove these residual contanminants and improve flow.

Another thing to try is a different ink. Some inks just will not perform well in a particular pen/feed/nib combination.

Inkdesigner

Take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly, and try another. But by all means, try something.

--Franklin D. Roosevelt

private reserve or waterman ink can be a solution to the problem otherwise send the pen for inkflow regulation to richard binder

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

private reserve or waterman ink can be a solution to the problem otherwise send the pen for inkflow regulation to richard binder

I have used Waterman Florida blue but no help. I will try PR ink. Thanks for your advice.

I have used Waterman Florida blue but no help. I will try PR ink. Thanks for your advice.

Try to soak is a little more sometimes its not enough to try it once. I've done this with my currently acquired nos Man 100 broad. At first it was a total frustration, but now it writes like a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried soaking in water for overnight, feeded with PR Lake Placid blue, writing for a few pages of A4 size paper, still skipping esp on down stroke or writing fast :crybaby: Give up!

In some cases, tweaking by a professional might be required to regularize/increase the ink-flow. You can either send it to Waterman for repair, or see articels by Richard Binder on his website and/or in FPN's Repair section if you think you can do this by yourself. Richard (and many others) also do this work for some fee though turn-around time can be few months.

Edited by jigesh

any update? stub working ok???

Tried soaking in water for overnight, feeded with PR Lake Placid blue, writing for a few pages of A4 size paper, still skipping esp on down stroke or writing fast :crybaby: Give up!

Both the M nib and the stub nib have skipping problem. The M nib comes with the pen and it is a second hand from ebay.It skips seriously. So I thought a new nib may solve the problem and I bought a new stub nib from a ebay seller. But the new nib also skip!

Is it a problem of Man 200 in general? I don't think I will spend more money on this pen.

Both the M nib and the stub nib have skipping problem. The M nib comes with the pen and it is a second hand from ebay.It skips seriously. So I thought a new nib may solve the problem and I bought a new stub nib from a ebay seller. But the new nib also skip!

Is it a problem of Man 200 in general? I don't think I will spend more money on this pen.

Sorry to learn about your experience.

This is not a general problem per se, but can happen to any brand/model. If changing the ink as suggested by Georges above doesn't help, perhaps sending to Watrerman for repair or sending to nib masters (see Repairs forum) can solve the problem. These options are not expensive, but time consuming (both Waterman or other nib-tweakes consume few weeks). If you send it to nib tweakers, send writing samples from this nib as well as what you would like - your preferred way of writing/wetness. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hello Linnicky,

Don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but my NOS Le Man 200 green Rhapsody with M nib has done exactly the same, even after trying the soaking and ink tricks mentioned by others. The tines are just a touch too far apart for the capillary action with the ink to hold, so the flow is broken.

However, don't give up on this pen as it is very well thought of and once the nib is tweaked by an expert it should write very smoothly - it is a good nib, if others' experiences are to go by. Personally, and simply because I am not engineering or repair-oriented I would not try a DIY job on this but take the time to have it repaired by an expert. I think this is such a nice pen it is worth waiting for it to be just right, and probably worth paying a bit extra to get it done for you.

Just my view of course; let us all know how you get on.

Tom

Edited by RoyalBlue

Thanks for your advice. I am from Hong Kong and I don't know if there is any expert on pen repair here.

More disappointing is the nib problem occurs on my Gentleman too. The feed looks like those of the Man 200. And it skips too :crybaby:

Michael Masuyama did my LeMan 200, and a couple of my LeMan 100 nibs (also my Sailors!). Lots of long shipping for you involved, but he is VERY good with the Waterman nibs. I am currently using a LeMan 200 medium that was skippy and refused to write with Noodler's Eternal inks - and now is a cursive italic that will use any ink I wish! I'm sure there must be someone in Hong Kong similar! But if not - ship it to Mr. Masuyama!!

I like my LeMan 200 so much, that I have another enroute - and Mr. Masuyama will be doing that nib too...

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, I have sent an email to Mr.Masuyama for the arrangement.

Just update the 2 problem nibs.

Michael said the stub nib is suffering from tine alignment issue ( one side higher ) , slit is little too close and also " baby bottom issue". While the medium nib has tines ( slit ) open.

A bit disappointed about the quality of waterman nib. The stub nib is a new one! I suppose every high end Waterman pen be tested by some person before selling. But this may not be true for a nib section alone.

Thanks, I have sent an email to Mr.Masuyama for the arrangement.

Just update the 2 problem nibs.

Michael said the stub nib is suffering from tine alignment issue ( one side higher ) , slit is little too close and also " baby bottom issue". While the medium nib has tines ( slit ) open.

A bit disappointed about the quality of waterman nib. The stub nib is a new one! I suppose every high end Waterman pen be tested by some person before selling. But this may not be true for a nib section alone.

But you will be soooo happy when he does his magic! Let us know how they perform!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I am writing with my pen today. The factory stub nib gives a bit more line variatine than the cursive italic nib. Both are smooth and without any ink flow problem now.I have to thank other FPN members here who just don't let me give up this pen. Thank you.

writing_sample.bmp

Edited by linnicky

Finally I am writing with my pen today. The factory stub nib gives a bit more line variatine than the cursive italic nib. Both are smooth and without any ink flow problem now.I have to thank other FPN members here who just don't let me give up this pen. Thank you.

I'm happy for you - and I'm jealous of the that stub nib! Nice!! Congratulations!

• 1 month later...

Hi Linnicky,

Please can you give me the contact and address details for Mr Masuyama? My own green-marbled NOS Rhapsody with M nib has exactly the same severe skipping problem and as mentioned to you a while back I don't want to give up on this pen because it is extremely good looking, feels right, and should write nicely once adjusted (I hope!). I have now tried several inks and even with my favourite well-behaved Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris ink the pen still skips for England.

How long is the turn-round time between sending and getting the nib/pen back? Having advised you not to give up I now feel on the verge of doing the same, so need some return encouragement! I would usually deal with Richard Binder for pen orders and adjustment as he is so thorough but might consider your chosen repairman if the turn round time is significantly quicker. Having had the pen over a year, I'm impatient to get writing with it! Has the repair to your nibs transformed the writing experience?...

Many thanks, and thank God for FPN!

Tom

Edited by RoyalBlue