Best finish for porous antler such as Elk

cypressman

I've been experimenting lately with Elk antler. It's so porous that I'm having trouble getting a smooth surface. I"ve tried using 2 or 3 applications of thin cyanoacrylate which hardens the surface well, but still leaves it dimpled after sanding (see pic), Would a couple of applications of thick be better?

post-19134-1242560872_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• pmorin

• cypressman

• Inka

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was still doing pens I found that antler needs a lot more than 2-3 applications of thinned cyanoacrylate.

I usually applied 2-3 coating.. .then sanded it down and applied another 2-3 coating and sanded again... repeating until the pores were filled...

The final coat was thicker cyanoacrylate wet sanded with micromesh to get a high gloss....

No suggestion, only a comment that the pen so far is looking beautiful!

One of my much prized custom-made Damascus bladed knives is one I had special ordered from the Buck custom shop many, many years ago.

One of two numbered knives, one has Sambar Stag and the other has Wyoming sun-bleached Elk scales that I had specifically ordered be put on the knife.

While I have no idea what Buck U.S.A. used to seal the Elk horn it is, to me, a gorgeous and very warm-to-the-touch natural material.

I never would have thought to use it for a fountain pen, but the results you're getting so far are outstanding.

Thanks!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I've been more than happy with Rustins Plastic Coating. Two part, hardens really tough, and impervious to almost everything. After normal finishing a buffing up with fine compo, t-cut, brasso, rottenstone or similar brings up a superb finish.

Have fun,

Ruaidhrí

Edit:

Should have said - that was on Roe Deer antler, spalted beech and 6000 yr old bog oak among others. Not sure about Elk, but should be worth a trial :)

Edited by Ruaidhri

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I don't know about sealing the antler, but seeing as we have literally six or seven hundred shed antlers from deer, elk, moose and a few others stashed in our basement, garage, den, and living room I'm curious if the sheds you're using are fresh or not. If you pick them the same year they get dropped, they're a nice smooth surface, but after sitting outside in the sun for a few years they obviously degrade into a porous chalky texture.

Yahoo has a penturning forum - great place to ask questions, as there are a number of people who regularly turn antler material.

Turning Pens & Pencils by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham has this:

During the turning process, the porous inner core must be reinforced with CA glue. To do this, first turn the antler to very near the final shape and diameter of the completed pen - 1/32 (1mm) oversize is about right - then flood the surface of the antler with thin CA adhesive. Rotate the lathe slowly by hand to prevent the CA from flowing to the bottom and dripping off. While the thin CA glue is still wet, flood the surface again with gap-filling CA adhesive. By capillary action, the thin CA adhesive will hlep pull the thicker gap filling CA into the pores. The glue can then be sen using CA Accelorator. The process may need to be repeated.

The entire surface of the antler should be covered with CA glue and the glue set. Next, the surface glue is removed by simply turning away the excess. If the process is successful, there will be no voids where the antler was previously porus. The pen can then be sanded using standard tehcniques. Antler takes a nice polish without the aid of finish, so little or no finish is necessary.

They recommend staying away form oil based finish as well as it generally turns the antler a yellow colour.

IIRC, this is the standard recommended treatment I've seen suggested in the pen forum. I haven't tried it yet, but I have 2 lbs of antler sitting near the lathe - so one day when I find some extra time.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

Here are two pictures of very porous material pens that I did using the technique I mentioned about...

One is a Whitetail antler ballpoint the other is a a corn cob Baron FP...

Corn cob makes antler look like solid marble and is even harder to get a smooth finish on...

...Should have said - that was on Roe Deer antler, spalted beech and 6000 yr old bog oak among others. Not sure about Elk, but should be worth a trial :)

North American 'Elk is what is called 'Red Deer' on the East side of the pond. Confusingly 'Moose' is called 'Elk', and about as rare as Rocking Horse droppings (though you can get some in Somerset).

Here are two pictures of very porous material pens that I did using the technique I mentioned about...

One is a Whitetail antler ballpoint the other is a a corn cob Baron FP...

Corn cob makes antler look like solid marble and is even harder to get a smooth finish on...

That corn cob is AWESOME!!! :notworthy1:

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

richardandtracy said

"... about as rare as Rocking Horse droppings (though you can get some in Somerset).

As Tristram Shandy said (and I paraphrase -- too lazy to go downstairs to get my copy :headsmack: )

"Each person has to ride their own hobby-horse." (Blast it! I *will* have to check the correct quote now!)

If you have hobby-horse droppings, regardless of the county of origin, I would appreciate a sample. In a suitable container, of course.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

OldGriz,

I'm curious if you used raw corncob, or if you've tried the resin impregnated cobs? (Another material on my list - but I'm thinking of spending the extra for the resin impregnated type.)

Thanks.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

OldGriz,

I'm curious if you used raw corncob, or if you've tried the resin impregnated cobs? (Another material on my list - but I'm thinking of spending the extra for the resin impregnated type.)

Thanks.

Tried them and didn't like them.... I found the resin impregnated cobs to be like turning concrete (at least the ones I got)..

Besides I had a lifetime supply of old corn cobs in the 80 yr old chicken coop here on the farm... LOL