The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator <F>

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:30

After buying my Custom 823 and using my Bamboo for a while now, I just had to have one more Pilot/Namiki with a fine nib.

The Pilot Custom 74 was bought from Richard Binder like all my other Pilot/Namiki pens. This pen was requested to be
adjusted as a No.8 on his dry to wet scale from 1-10. Again I as I stated in my 823 review the Pilot feed system is
probably one of the best. These pilot pens can be carried tip up in a shirt pocket all day long and start with a wet line
like nobody's business.

It has the perfect flow with both Waterman Florida Blue and Aurora inks.

The O-ring on the metal threaded section of the collar like my Pro Gear is a nice touch.
CON-70 "plunger type" converter is the standard for US imported Custom 74 pens.

The "smoke" gray collar and sleeve inside the cap help hide the ink "splats" that are unavoidable with demonstrator
pens, this also actually adds to the good looks of the pen.

The Custom 74 No.5 nib is smooth and the line it puts down is no thicker or thinner than any of my other Pilot <F>'s
(No.10 and No.15) or my Aurora 88 <F>.

Compared to my Custom 823, the measurements of the Custom 74 pen are a little smaller all around from overall
length posted, length capped and width at the collar. However, the feel in hand is hardly noticeable, that the Custom 74
is smaller than the 823. I could see someone with small hands however, probably make more of a distinction of the 823
feeling like a bigger pen rather than the Custom 74 feeling like a smaller pen.

From left to right. No.5 nib Custom 74 / No.10 nib Bamboo / No.15 nib Custom 823

Size comparison: Bamboo, Custom 823 and Custom 74

Thanks for reading. thumbup.gif

Sponsored Content

#2 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:17

Wow, those are the nicest photos I've seen of the 74! Now I get it.

Doug

#3 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:42

lovely pens. Thanks for sharing.
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#4 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,505 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:48

I have a 74, but this lets me see her in a completely different light.

I feel like I'm cheating...............
the Danitrio Fellowship

#5 holgalee

holgalee

pen friendly person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:42

Thank you for the thoughtful review with comparison of the pens, and of course the lovely photos! Can't wait to receive my Custom 74 too!

#6 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2009 - 15:37

I'm glad to see another person has been bitten by the Pilot bug and appreciates their pens in earnest. Wow, what a beautiful demonstrator! I think you made a great choice... although, I wonder how you'll decide on what pen to take each day, given that they're all fine nibbed writers that put out the same lines! wink.gif

Interesting how the 5, 10, and 15 sized nibs all share the same basic design. The 10 looks slightly larger, because of the bigger PILOT imprint... but I know the 15 is the largest. Actually, a line-up shot of all three would be great (hint, hint). smile.gif

Thanks again for a nice review and pleasant photographic compositions. I like your choice of using the glass surface for the Custom 74 demonstrator shots.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#7 Scott Searer

Scott Searer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 22:26

QUOTE (PinarelloOnly @ May 16 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After buying my Custom 823 and using my Bamboo for a while now, I just had to have one more Pilot/Namiki with a fine nib.

The Pilot Custom 74 was bought from Richard Binder like all my other Pilot/Namiki pens. This pen was requested to be
adjusted as a No.8 on his dry to wet scale from 1-10. Again I as I stated in my 823 review the Pilot feed system is
probably one of the best. These pilot pens can be carried tip up in a shirt pocket all day long and start with a wet line
like nobody's business.

It has the perfect flow with both Waterman Florida Blue and Aurora inks.

The O-ring on the metal threaded section of the collar like my Pro Gear is a nice touch.
CON-70 "plunger type" converter is the standard for US imported Custom 74 pens.

The "smoke" gray collar and sleeve inside the cap help hide the ink "splats" that are unavoidable with demonstrator
pens, this also actually adds to the good looks of the pen.

The Custom 74 No.5 nib is smooth and the line it puts down is no thicker or thinner than any of my other Pilot <F>'s
(No.10 and No.15) or my Aurora 88 <F>.

Compared to my Custom 823, the measurements of the Custom 74 pen are a little smaller all around from overall
length posted, length capped and width at the collar. However, the feel in hand is hardly noticeable, that the Custom 74
is smaller than the 823. I could see someone with small hands however, probably make more of a distinction of the 823
feeling like a bigger pen rather than the Custom 74 feeling like a smaller pen.

From left to right. No.5 nib Custom 74 / No.10 nib Bamboo / No.15 nib Custom 823

Size comparison: Bamboo, Custom 823 and Custom 74

Thanks for reading. thumbup.gif

#8 Scott Searer

Scott Searer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 22:34

Thanks for the great photos and a concise review. I am shopping for a Pilot (online)and want to know about the differences in the feel between these three nibs; specifically in relation to 'softness ' or 'spring', not 'flex'. For example the Pelikan 1000's monster nib gives back a sense of 'spring' whereas all the others I find quite stiff. Here in Beijing I have seen all the Sailors which are as stiff as a life sentence and overpriced to boot. Is the 15 'softer' than the 10? The 10 vs the 5? Thanks in advance---Scott.

#9 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 00:18

QUOTE (Scott Searer @ May 18 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the great photos and a concise review. I am shopping for a Pilot (online)and want to know about the differences in the feel between these three nibs; specifically in relation to 'softness ' or 'spring', not 'flex'. For example the Pelikan 1000's monster nib gives back a sense of 'spring' whereas all the others I find quite stiff. Here in Beijing I have seen all the Sailors which are as stiff as a life sentence and overpriced to boot. Is the 15 'softer' than the 10? The 10 vs the 5? Thanks in advance---Scott.

I get that question a lot on how the three compare…first off I only write with Fine and Xtra-Fine nibs. I also have a light
hand. Every Pilot nib to me is going to be stiff with the exception of the Falcon.

I can say from experience that if you are asking about “soft” or “spring” of the three you have to truly find out for yourself.

If anything the No.15 has the most flex if you really want to know. I find that is only because the nib is longer vs. the No.10.
If you really like the "feel" of the Pelikan 1000 nib then I would say your going to have to buy a Pilot with a No.15 or bigger.

The three 5/10/15 are all top notch nibs. All three have the same iridium fine point made by experienced hands at
Pilot. For some reason many are under the false impression that when you go up in size of these Pilot nibs, you get a
better nib.

#10 ericthered2004

ericthered2004

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 00:23

Lovely review. I have a couple of these pens but haven't quite got used to them. The fine is a bit scratchy, the medium a bit thick. Still, they're v. comfortable in the hand, and beautiful. I may have the nibs adjusted at some point.

Regards
eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness
With just our noses
(ericthered junior)

#11 Neill78

Neill78

Sensei

• Member - Gold

• 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:41

QUOTE (ericthered2004 @ May 18 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lovely review. I have a couple of these pens but haven't quite got used to them. The fine is a bit scratchy, the medium a bit thick. Still, they're v. comfortable in the hand, and beautiful. I may have the nibs adjusted at some point.

Regards
eric

When I was testing 74 nibs at the store prior to purchase I thought the same thing. The fine was a little toothy but the medium was wider than expected. I went for the Fine-Medium, which was perfect for me. I haven't looked hard, but I haven't seen that size in North American shops/on internet sites.

Neill

#12 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 21:29

What's the ink capacity?
Posted Image

#13 Neill78

Neill78

Sensei

• Member - Gold

• 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2009 - 14:29

QUOTE (HenryLouis @ May 20 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the ink capacity?

It depends what converter you choose to use.

The Con-20 press-bar sac converter is 0.5mL

The Con-50 screw-type piston converter is 0.5mL

The Con-70 push-button converter is 1.1mL, which is about as much as most piston pens hold, I think. I just got one of these and it's pretty darn cool how it sucks up ink.

I'm not sure how much Pilot cartridges hold but I'm guessing it's between 1.1 and 2mL.

Neill

#14 dashreeve

dashreeve

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 15:35

Is that the CON-70 in the 74? If so, where did you get it?

#15 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 18:41

Is the Con-50 the same one in the VP?

QUOTE (Neill78 @ May 24 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HenryLouis @ May 20 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the ink capacity?

It depends what converter you choose to use.

The Con-20 press-bar sac converter is 0.5mL

The Con-50 screw-type piston converter is 0.5mL

The Con-70 push-button converter is 1.1mL, which is about as much as most piston pens hold, I think. I just got one of these and it's pretty darn cool how it sucks up ink.

I'm not sure how much Pilot cartridges hold but I'm guessing it's between 1.1 and 2mL.

Neill

Posted Image

#16 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2009 - 22:44

Nice photos. I've been thinking of picking up one of the Pilot Customs sometime in the not-too-distant future.

To answer the above questions, the Custom 74 comes with a CON-70 converter, and the VP comes with a CON-50 (the CON-70 will not fit the VP, sadly - it's a much better converter than the 50).
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#17 ericthered2004

ericthered2004

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:12

QUOTE (Neill78 @ May 20 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ericthered2004 @ May 18 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regards
eric

When I was testing 74 nibs at the store prior to purchase I thought the same thing. The fine was a little toothy but the medium was wider than expected. I went for the Fine-Medium, which was perfect for me. I haven't looked hard, but I haven't seen that size in North American shops/on internet sites.

Neill

Indeed neither have I--F-M promises to be just the right size. Does anyone know if/where I can buy a nib on its own?

Regards
eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness
With just our noses
(ericthered junior)

#18 Neill78

Neill78

Sensei

• Member - Gold

• 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:00

QUOTE (HenryLouis @ May 24 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Con-50 the same one in the VP?

I bought my VP in Japan where converters are not supplied with the pen, but I believe it comes with the CON-50. Both the CON-20 and 50 will fit in a VP. The 74 can take the CON-70 and (as can be seen in the pictures) is almost necessary for the aesthetics of the Custom 74. BEAUTY!

Neill

#19 Neill78

Neill78

Sensei

• Member - Gold

• 844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:04

QUOTE (ericthered2004 @ May 27 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed neither have I--F-M promises to be just the right size. Does anyone know if/where I can buy a nib on its own?

Regards
eric

I just asked that same question in another thread, and apart from the VP, no Pilot nibs are available separately, which is a shame.

However I have found a place in Japan that sells the Custom 74 for about $75 USD, so it may just be easier/more cost effective to sell the one you don't like and buy a new one. I'm not sure if they will ship internationally but I could probably help you (or anyone else) buy one, since I do have residence in Japan and can get things shipped to North America.

Neill

#20 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:34

bump!

I just bought one today and I like how the M nib writes (semi-flex) and I like the filling sytem!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Sponsored Content

|