The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tombow 828fp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 18:40

Say, up in Harlem,
At a table for two,
There were four of us,
Me, your big feet and you!
From your ankles up, I say you sure are sweet,
From there down, there's just too much feet!

If any pen could live up to the genius of Fats Waller, this may just be it. The design was no doubt created by Fats with technical input from Dr. Seuss.

Pens have their own personalities and while my Montblancs have always reminded me of a Mercedes cab, and my OMAS (what is the plural of OMAS, OMASs?) a pre-70's Alfa Romeo Duetto, this one certainly is Fats doing the Lindy.

This is a pen that you might find on the desk in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

It's BIG and little, the classic "Little Teapot" of the children's song; "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."

Here it is sitting between two friends, a Montblanc 149 and an OMAS Paragon.

But what is it like?

Actually, it is surprisingly comfortable to use. With the cap posted it is long enough and balances well while the fat section tapers down to one that is between the Paragon and 149 in diameter. I find it is really pretty easy to write with and very controllable.

The plated steel nib lays down a moderately wet line and gives lots of feedback. It has a broad sweet spot and is forgiving of both angle and rotation.

The snap on cap is positive and seems effective. The pen feels slightly heavier than the Paragon and a hair lighter than the 149.

Down sides are few. It holds only one short International cartridge so ink supply is limited. It does make a statement in your pocket and folk are unlikely not to notice it.

Tombow still makes a similar pen called the "Egg" but not in a fountain pen to my knowledge.

Is it a good value?

Well since I got this in a batch of pens I have no idea what it sold for but as a fun pen, it ranks way up on my list. Let the big muckymucks whip out their 149s or Paragons. When you pull out this baby all eyes will be on you.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2009 - 22:54

Thanks for the review. Tombow make some interesting pens, either very fat like the Egg or very thin. I think you're right, that the Egg is no longer available as an FP, though one was marketed for a while. I saw one sell on eBay for over 40GBP recently so they do have their admirers.

Nice group photos!

#3 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 23:12

I've seen this crazy pen on and off over the years and am surprised to see it here. It is crazy big and fat and surely must be fun to use.

#4 Drumdawg

Drumdawg

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 17:53

I was lucky enough to have one given to me as a PIF; it is beautiful; and I love it

but I am sort of afraid to actually use it since finding another one seems to be nearly impossible.

Any thoughts? should I just bite the bullet and use this beautiful pen; or should I let it remain as a valued collectable?

Gary
Gary

Band director by trade

#5 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 19:02

Use it. In fact the one in this review was given to someone (a teacher IIRC) that was suffering from arthritis.

My Website

#6 Drumdawg

Drumdawg

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 19:19

Thanks Jar.

I also live in TEXAS, btw
Gary

Band director by trade

#7 yehudah

yehudah

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2013 - 21:34

Just won one on ebay.  Any ideas on what ink cartridge it uses?  I'm thinking Montblanc international??

#8 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:14

Just won one on ebay.  Any ideas on what ink cartridge it uses?  I'm thinking Montblanc international??

Yup. uses international but no room for an heir and a spare.

My Website

#9 Inkdependence

Inkdependence

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 15:04

That is a remarkably silly-lookin' pen. I sorta like a weird pen. 

My Blog: Inkdependence!

#10 obilot

obilot

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:04

Hello Ancient Thread, and Greetings from The Future!

I saw this pen for sale new at a Colorado Pen back in the mid-90's, before I had jumped with both feet back into fountain pen joy. I had no idea whether it was a worthwhile pen to purchase -- it was affordable, though. I would buy one now if they were still available. (Are you listening, Tombow?)

#11 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:41

Thank you for the review.

Sponsored Content

|