Why are CS pens so expensive?

Pepin

I've just done a price check, and they seem to be pricing their standard pens at the same level as the high ends (sterling overlay, expensive metal, etc. )from more established makers. Is this company trying to "shove" quality to consumers via selective pricing?

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vreeves

• Deirdre

• Titivillus

• dandelion

I've just done a price check, and they seem to be pricing their standard pens at the same level as the high ends (sterling overlay, expensive metal, etc. )from more established makers. Is this company trying to "shove" quality to consumers via selective pricing?

I don't know what you're driving at, but Conway Stewart prices are on a par with other high-end pen manufacturers. And what do you mean by "from more established makers"? Conway Stewart has been around for over 100 years! If you want a cheap functional pen, go for a Lamy or a Rotring.

I don't know what you're driving at, but Conway Stewart prices are on a par with other high-end pen manufacturers. And what do you mean by "from more established makers"?

Conway Stewart is probably my overall favourite pen manufacturer, but I would not dismiss Pepin's question. See here about the latest price increases.

Conway Stewart has been around for over 100 years!

Technically not so. The original Conway Stewart company went out of business in the 1960s or 70s. The current company was established in the 1990s. So I believe the company is less than 15 years old.

Edited by QM2

Who do you consider to be a more established maker and why those particular brands?

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

... And what do you mean by "from more established makers"? Conway Stewart has been around for over 100 years! If you want a cheap functional pen, go for a Lamy or a Rotring.

Not really the latest version of Conway Stewart bought the name from the original and has been making pens for far less time than Lamy or Rotring. So there isn't a continuation from the prior to the presentt except when they decide to have one.

I'll let someone else jump in to correct me about dates.

K

Not really the latest version of Conway Stewart bought the name from the original and has been making pens for far less time than Lamy or Rotring. So there isn't a continuation from the prior to the presentt except when they decide to have one.

Well, Rotring isn't making fountain pens now, so the point's moot there. And don't get me started on Lamy. Again. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I don't know what you're driving at, but Conway Stewart prices are on a par with other high-end pen manufacturers. And what do you mean by "from more established makers"?

Conway Stewart is probably my overall favourite pen manufacturer, but I would not dismiss Pepin's question. See here about the latest price increases.

Conway Stewart has been around for over 100 years!

Technically not so. The original Conway Stewart company went out of business in the 1960s or 70s. The current company was established in the 1990s. So I believe the company is less than 15 years old.

I don't believe CS are any more expensive than other high end pen manufacturers. Look at Montblanc or Cartier or Omas!

The modern version of the company is recent but the Conway Stewart name has been around for a very long time and is recognised by those who know about the history of fountain pens.

... And what do you mean by "from more established makers"? Conway Stewart has been around for over 100 years! If you want a cheap functional pen, go for a Lamy or a Rotring.

I'll let someone else jump in to correct me about dates.

K

True - but you are ignoring the brand name. And it is a brand that has reestablished itself very rapidly. The current ownership is not the same as the old, but I consider that irrelevant.

Who do you consider to be a more established maker and why those particular brands?

I think he probably means the likes of Sheaffer, Parker et al. The difference is that Conway Stewart is not aiming at all market sectors, but only the high-end.

Sheaffer and Parker also have more volume. That said, the larger Duofold and the Valor aren't exactly cheap.

deirdre.net

I love CS pens, both modern and vintage (with the proviso below!). The company, in its current reincarnation, is clearly targeting the higher end of the market, which for me is such a shame. The pleasure of these pens, for me at any rate, is with the classic 'everyday' pens - the 58s, the Dinkies and the Dandies. I really don't especially care for the special editions. I'd really love CS to market some quality, mid-ranged pens that reflect the heritage of the company as pens to be used day-in day-out. I'd be interested to find out what other CS lovers feel.

The modern version of the company is recent but the Conway Stewart name has been around for a very long time and is recognised by those who know about the history of fountain pens.

Yes the new company bought the name recognition but that does not mean that the quality or design of the original company carries over to the modern incarnation.

The original made pens for people to use as well as higher end pens, the modern version seems to now ignore the user and focuses on the collector. Not complaining just how I see it.

K

True - but you are ignoring the brand name. And it is a brand that has reestablished itself very rapidly. The current ownership is not the same as the old, but I consider that irrelevant.

It can't be irrelevant or why did they purchase the name? They bought it in hopes that they could get some advertising out of it and a reflection of the former manufacturer.

K

I love CS pens, both modern and vintage (with the proviso below!). The company, in its current reincarnation, is clearly targeting the higher end of the market, which for me is such a shame. The pleasure of these pens, for me at any rate, is with the classic 'everyday' pens - the 58s, the Dinkies and the Dandies. I really don't especially care for the special editions. I'd really love CS to market some quality, mid-ranged pens that reflect the heritage of the company as pens to be used day-in day-out. I'd be interested to find out what other CS lovers feel.

While I'd love for CS to be able to do more mid-range pens, I love a lot of their special and limited editions.

deirdre.net

While I'd love for CS to be able to do more mid-range pens, I love a lot of their special and limited editions.

The only LEs I like are the Simpole silver overlays. And I like those a lot. My husband also loves his sterling Icon 100 LE.

Otherwise, I could live on the Churchill and the Dandy, lever fill, in different colours. Keyword is lever fill.

The only LEs I like are the Simpole silver overlays. And I like those a lot. My husband also loves his sterling Icon 100 LE.

Otherwise, I could live on the Churchill and the Dandy, lever fill, in different colours. Keyword is lever fill.

I love their sterling pens. I have not yet had a chance to love their overlays.

CS doesn't make my favorite fill system (plunger), I'm not that hot on the embedded converter in the piston filler, the Churchill's too big for me, and my favorite size of pens are the 58 and Dandy. I like button and lever fillers, but I don't actually mind c/c. I just don't prefer it.

deirdre.net

I think they're the most beautiful pens I've ever seen. But way out of my price range -- $440 on sale, while a good deal, is about 4X more than I can justify.

But I'd appreciate more direct answers to the original question, as to the price. Maybe I can talk myself into buying one.

Edited by SecretAgentMan

It can't be irrelevant or why did they purchase the name? They bought it in hopes that they could get some advertising out of it and a reflection of the former manufacturer.

K

Yes, but it's the name that has lasted for a long time, and the brand name is paramount in business. Owners come and go but the name goes on forever.

With all due respect, CS is a business; and as a business, it must make a profit. If fountain pens were bought in millions then prices could fall sharply and CS could still operate successfully, but in the modern world this is not the case. Fountain pens are often considered quaint items for collection or status symbols to show off in high powered business meetings. It's sad, but that is the modern market. There is also the schoolkid market, and that is still substantial, but it has been well cornered by the Sanford company, which has a long standing deal with WHSmith.

Edited by vreeves

I love my Evolution and I also like vermeil pens. I would like to see a model with the Churchill chassis in sterling or vermeil and I await news from Mary on this. A sterling pen with gold furniture would also be welcome, as CS has not yet produced one, to my knowledge.

Edited by vreeves