Hello....

Lynchfinger

Hello Forum.

I must admit at the start that although I have an avid interest in many things of beauty - especially pens (I am a designer and draughtsman) - my reasons for calling in is to ask about one of my pens in particular.

I have several beautiful pens, all antique and you may be horrified to know - still in regular use!!

One however I have assigned to the care of a shelf. I can find no reference to it on any websites...at least this edition of it.

It is genuine and quite beautiful. 1968 Lamy 2000.

Now the odd thing which I can't find anywhere else is the fact it is a two tone edition. Black cap, brushed body. Mint. Not two mixed together!! Bought in Wilemshaven, Germany in the same year.

Is it odd. Of worth? Are you rolling your eyes as this is stupid question......?

Lovely site too. Lots to digest thank you.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• JesseD

• Maja

• KendallJ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Lynch,

Welcome to FPN.

Not that I am an expert, but I have never seen a Lamy 2000 as you describe. 1968 is only two years after the design was introduced, if I recall correctly. May be it was a limited production for the German market.

Denis.

I'll start with saying I know next to nothing about Lamy. But I wanted to comment on a couple of things you wrote.

First - never feel that a question is stupid. This is a very open, friendly group who loves to talk pens. Even questions that have been repeated dozens of times are fodder for all our opinions. And we always have opinions. :)

you also said:

I have several beautiful pens, all antique and you may be horrified to know - still in regular use!!

Not at all horrified. In fact, in most of the pen groups the resounding cry is "buy vintage!" when someone asks about a quality pen. Though I prefer modern pens for the most part, I do have several vintage pens and all are used regularly. There are collectors who only collect pens to store away or display. And some folks would never ink a vintage mint-in-box pen of a particular value. There's nothing wrong with that and I think there should be some folks who do that. But I think the majority of us buy pens to ink as well as to admire.

Welcome to the group - and good luck on the Lamy pen issue. wish I could help.

kcat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Welcome to the board. I first thought you might be describing a 2000 limited edition, but those are all brushed. If you are sure it is not a mix of 2 different pens, then I'd have to go with Denis, and say it was a regionally produced pen. I've never heard of such a pen either.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

First of all, welcome to the board.

I don't know that much about old Lamys either, but your pen is obviously genuine. You bought it! A good deal of the information and pictures of the Lamy 2000 are of the modern Lamy 2000. There is not a new two tone Lamy 2000 but this does not mean there was not a two tone 2000 in 1968. Obviously there was, since you bought it (unless they made a mistake in the factory). My guess is that the 2000s with the cap and barrel the same color were more common than the ones with differing caps and barrels, but then again, it is not too long after the Parker 51 and the similarly designed pens. Lots of people loved the two tone look of the Parker 51 and many companies tried to emulate it, so Lamy might have made some 2000s two toned to make it look more like the popular 51. Later, Lamy might have learned that the two tone pen did not sell as well as the single toned pen and stopped producing the two toned pen. I can't say anything about its worth or rarity, besides I would love to have an old 2000!

-Jesse

Hi Lynchfinger!

Welcome to FPN :D

I've never heard of that type of Lamy 2000, but then again, I'm no expert in German pens. Have you tried posting your question on the Pentrace.com message board? Maybe someone there can answer your query....

In any case, I've heard they are great pens, and I would love to own one some day :)