Interesting Observation .... or not ?????

OldGriz

As mentioned in another thread, I just got my Parker 51 Special back with a nice fine gold nib from Ernesto Soler

Yes, I like the way it writes (why is it so hard to admit that). But yesterday after filling it, I thought it a bit on the dry side for me.... I normall like a wetter writing nib.

Today the pen seems to be writing a lot wetter, still not as wet as some of my pens, but the line is definately darker and wetter... more to my liking.

Can I assume that the collector just needed time to fill with more ink before begining to write this way... ???????

I have only written about half a page yesterday and again today, but there is a noticable difference between the pages.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Roger

• JimStrutton

• RonB

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, did you soak it overnight or just put ink in it?

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Just inked... when I sent it to Ernesto it had been cleaned out completely over 3 months prior....

Tom,

What I this this could be is a bit of over enthusiastic wiping with the tissue after filling. The instructions to just gently wipe the tip are exactly all that is needed. I have seen people used to open nib pens holding the tissue on the nib and seeing a great patch of ink come out. All this has done is starved the collector of ink until it replenishes, which is the exact behaviour you describe.

I would say the the later writing experience is what I would expect from a "51".

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Can I assume that the collector just needed time to fill with more ink before begining to write this way... ???????

Sure! The collector and the channels which feed the collector and nib all have to be re-wetted, thoroughly.

Once a pen is allowed to dry completely the process has to begin anew, though the process will be faster when it's a pen that has been used before and had all its surfaces wetted to the utmost.

As long as the pen doesn't leak, I let it sit nib down for the first day or two after putting it back into rotation after a layoff. If it wrote well before, it will write well again assuming nothing became clogged.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List