What does purple ink say about you?

mucephei

Purple is my favorite color in most things (except cars, which MUST be red in my world). I discovered OMAS Violet while on a hunt for Diamine Imperial Purple. Also realized that I had a whole package of PR Tanzanite cartridges in my desk (that I had forgotten about!). I think I may have some no-name purple carts around, too.

I tend to keep notes with purple, and in the last two days I graded nearly 200 pages of student papers in violet. I recently wrote a condolence note in purple, simply because that was the pen I picked up, but I like the idea of purposely doing so.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• Silvermink

• holgalee

• WendyNC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love purple inks. My favorite ink of all time is Montblanc Violet. I also adore Herbin Poussière de Lune, and have recently bought a bottle of Caran d'Ache Storm (which I have yet to try). I don't know what my love of purple inks means. I use them because I like dark yet colorful (i.e., tasteful) inks that are obviously not black.

I dont know what it says about me, being that inks are so devilishly clever about talking behind our backs

That line was worth the time to read this entire thread!

I imagine Pelikan Violet would speak of how fickle I am since I used it so often both straight up and in mixes about 10 or 11 years ago, then just stopped. . . . Not even a note or call. . . . How insensitive!

Wateman Purple had supplanted the Pelikan. Even though Private Reserve Tanzanite was all gushy in my pens and left a nice sheen on the page, Waterman Purple remained as the stable choice for a purple relationship.

Tanzanite has now returned after a several year absence, but only in the Lamy Safari. Is it pleased to be in my life again, or is it frustrated by only being used in a pen that never leaves the house? Are you ashamed of me? Why don't you ever take me out in public? Does it speak derisively to the Waterman when alone in the ink drawer noting that it is the only pure purple in use, calling the Waterman a mongrel since its only use now is being paired with Florida Blue in an ink mix?

Does the Waterman silently curse me for allowing the young and brash Private Reserve a return, wondering how I could forget its years of faithfulness?

Who knows what purple ink says about me?

I write in PR Purple Mojo, and enjoy it aplenty. I find it easier to write while looking at purple than any other color I have. Maybe purple stimulates my imagination?

Purple ink is saying "Ern loves gravy"

:roflmho:

There are two kinds of people in this world, those who understand the second law of thermodynamics, and those who do not.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'll have to find some Tanzanite - sounds interesting (is it Noodlers?)....

Private Reserve, my friend, Private Reserve: Tanzanite.

It was my very first bottled ink and it is beautiful shades between a Deep Navy Blue and Deep/Dark Purple that does look different with nib size used and paper types.

There are a few nice Tanzanite comparison reviews in the Ink Review area and index, one in particular I recall by KCat using Tanzanite in different pens and compared to other purples.

They're old reviews but the ink hasn't changed, as I still have a bottle that's about 3/4 full and still use it in my eye-dropper pens.

I think the review Link is here.

P.S.,

Pendemonium has a nice color chart for Private Reserve inks and others seen by clicking here.

After seeing some samples, I'm seriously considering trying a bottle of Caran d'Ache Storm too.

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I write with Noodler's Concord Bream a great deal. Why? Virginia Woolf wrote with purple ink and that's good enough for me. I do not know which pens and inks VW used--I've been using a Lamy Safari with the Concord Bream and it works very well. I'l be interested to read the other posts, though, and maybe expand my arsenal of purples.

Best,

Joe Ahearn

Austin TX

Purple is one of my favourite colours of ink and I always have one pen filled with Diamine Imperial Purple. I use it occasionally for letter writing, though mainly for writing down ideas and first drafts of articles and stories.

It is a colour that has happy connotations for me because it is the colour used by my old university (actually Royal Purple) so it reminds me of my days as a student. That seems to be a common factor here, but I was wondering what else it suggests. I am no colour psychologist but to me the colour purple suggests relaxation, meditation, deep thought, even pleasure. I no longer use this colour at work, only at home. I have enough "serious" inks to use at work, like blue and black.

I wondered if anyone else here had something to say about it?

I use JH Violette Pensee this time of year in the Spring because it reminds me of the lavender and violets blooming. It is a wonderfully light and full of life.

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

First post, so apologies if this is a little random. I've just started to develop the fountain pen obsession, though I've always used one over other kinds of pen.

After a great deal of consideration- to the point where my better half started to think I had a something more sinister to hide- I selected Private Reserve Ebony Purple of all the purple shades I could assess. I couldn't be more satisfied, as it allows a little streak of colour but still looks suitably professional (I'm a solicitor, so individuality needs to be carefully disguised!)

Now I just need to pick a few other fine choices as the obsession grows!

This thread has led me to ink up my new Dollar pen with my wife's PR Plum. I really should try that Tanzanite; maybe some Storm too...... :)

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

It's also one of my favorite colors. I use Montblanc's purple and find it really nice.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

For those of you who enjoy the depth of Montblanc Violet and already have PR Ebony Purple & Purple Mojo, you should try a 1:2 mix of those inks. I find that it creates a really nice dark purple, comparable to Montblanc Violet, but on the blue side of the purple spectrum as opposed to the red with Violet. My favourite tertiary colour so far.

I like purple as well but don't use it very much.

As an aside the writer Charles Warren Stoddard (1843-1909) who wrote both "South-Sea Idyls" (1873) and "The Island Of Tranquil Delights" (1903) was rather notorious for using nothing but Purple Ink.

Favorite Pens...Pelikan M7000 Majesties (have 6) and Waterman Leman 100's Old Style All Silver (have 4).

Favorite Inks: Noodlers...Love Ottoman Azure and Ottoman Rose.

Favorite Paper: Beckett Expression Super Smooth in 24 lb. Writing and 70 lb. Text weight.

I use purple ink because I like it, and always have liked it, I don't really know what it says about me. And it's different than black or blue ink, so my notes, letters or signatures always stand out a little, while still being acceptable when writing formal stuff. I also find it easier on the eyes when I need to re-read a lot of notes that I made earlier.

I wanted a very dark, deep purple, and I'm currently using Montblanc Violet. The color is exactly what I was looking for! Also, I find that this ink has excellent characteristics. It dries quick, is well behaved on most papers, and it flows great through my Lamy 2000. This is the purple ink that I was looking for, and I'm happy I tried it. This one is a keeper.

I previously tried J. Herbin Larme de Cassis, but I found it to pale, and in a dry writing pen it looked more pink that it did purple. Not very satisfied with that one.

Greetings,

Kay

Purple has always been my favorite color. Dunno why.

My favorite ink is good ol' Lamy purple in cartridges. Its perky.

Pens I own: Waterman Hemisphere F, Pelikan Epoch M, Parker Frontier Luna Purple M, 9 Lamy Safaris, 2 Pelikan Futures, 2 Heros, Taccia Amethyst Mosaic M, Lamy 2000 B, Kaweco Sport B, Pelikan M101N Souveran

When I win the lottery: Montblanc Boheme Doue Collection - Pirourette with Lilac Stone FP

Purple says that I can't decide between red or blue, so I've compromised! ;)

Seriously, though, purple is my favorite color, and purple ink is just an extension of my personal preference. In my case, I don't think there's any underlying cultural or psychological factor, I just love purple, that's all!

Purple is also one of my faves. But pure purple somehow remainds me of too much royalty (or the cloth bag around a bottle of Seagram's Crown Royal, which I really DO love).

I often make my own mixtures (of ink, har har) using a lot of purple, a shot of brown and a touch of black.

Yummy!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What inks mean to me:

Black: Business/elegance

Blue: Fun

Orange: Pain (associated w/ outlining hundreds of trillions of pages)

Red: "Mwhahaha... someone just lost a letter grade"

Green: Peaceful

Purple: sumptuous indulgence

Brown: this is "thinking ink"; reminds me of ancient manuscripts

Red can also mean "someone just lost a lot of money," of course.

Brown (especially Waterman Havana) reminds me of well-worn leather, pipes and (of course) cigars...I think it's very masculine as an ink.

As for the topic at hand: The closest thing I've used to purple has been PR Arabian Rose, which I bought for my wife but which I've been using now and then. It's a red just this side of purple, I guess.

cfclark

email cfclarktn at gmail dot com Twitter cfclark Facebook PM me

51 Flighter Fetishist

No one has mentioned Tanzanite. One of my faves as it can appear blue in some pens and a wonderully colored blue/purple in others. In constant use for me are Caran d'Ache Storm and Diamine's Imperial Purple, but the Tanzanite stays in some of my "F" and "XF" nibbed pens

I am also a fan of Private Reserve Tanzanite. It's what is loaded in my current daily user.