400 Tortoise Brown Limited Edition

Demonstrative Pen Collector

I've just heard back from my local shop. It is indeed a brand new LE. It will be available at many retailers in 2 weeks' time.

Thanks! Only the M400?

Not sure if it will be worth it for me (with my old M400) -- a bit much for an extra band and a two-tone nib. Maybe if the nib is particulary flexible, but I doubt it.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artie

• diplomat

• printhardcopy

• ShadowWriter

Kind of a Frankenpen. Half old-style, half new-style.

This seems to be the third iteration of a LE brown tortoise "M400" within the last three to four years. In 2006, Galeria-Kaufhof sold a real all new style brown tortoise M400 FP/BP set (2 trim rings on piston knob), then a fully old style brown tortoise set (old style cap, no trim rings), which was also called M400. Now we have frankenpen M400. :rolleyes:

....as much as I like brown tortoise, I still think this model would look better with silver furniture

This seems to be the third iteration of a LE brown tortoise "M400" within the last three to four years. In 2006, Galeria-Kaufhof sold a real all new style brown tortoise M400 FP/BP set (2 trim rings on piston knob), then a fully old style brown tortoise set (old style cap, no trim rings), which was also called M400. Now we have frankenpen M400. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Here are the two G-K LE's.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm82/spanielgang/kaufhofcomparo1698.jpg

....mmmm but that's not an old style M400, the cap is more from the M200/250! Is it a Brown Tort M200?

Btw: Bill, nice stunnig pic as always. I'd love to see a picture of your full Pelikan collection!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

....mmmm but that's not an old style M400, the cap is more from the M200/250! Is it a Brown Tort M200?

They were marketted by Galeria-Kaufhof as G-K M400 LEs and the boxes were printed as such. They had the standard 400 gold nibs. I bought two sets (FP/BP & the only FP/MP) in the Hannover store 51 weeks ago, and went back a couple of days later to get the remaining ones. I wasn't sure what I had until research and FPN posts cleared it up. Saintsimon was spot on from the beginning.

Btw: Bill, nice stunnig pic as always. I'd love to see a picture of your full Pelikan collection!

Thanks for the kind words. I may have to work on some Pel photos...maybe the five versions of 200/400 brown tortoises, not including the frankenpen (brown tortoise body and black cap) I bought at the Michigan show last fall (I've GOT to start carrying a flashlight with me ;-) ).

Bill

Edited by Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Got a recent newsletter from Swisher that had this pen pictured.

When I clicked on the Link and got to the Swisher homepage, the first thing I saw was the new brown pen, an M400 Soveran Brown Tortoise.

It definitely shows as not having the bands on the plunger knob, says it's a solid brown cap but looks black on my monitor, and listed only 3 nib choices of F/M/B.

http://www.swisherpens.com/

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

They were marketted by Galeria-Kaufhof as G-K M400 LEs and the boxes were printed as such. They had the standard 400 gold nibs. I bought two sets (FP/BP & the only FP/MP) in the Hannover store 51 weeks ago, and went back a couple of days later to get the remaining ones. I wasn't sure what I had until research and FPN posts cleared it up. Saintsimon was spot on from the beginning.

Thanks for the kind words. I may have to work on some Pel photos...maybe the five versions of 200/400 brown tortoises, not including the frankenpen (brown tortoise body and black cap) I bought at the Michigan show last fall (I've GOT to start carrying a flashlight with me ;-) ).

Bill

Some tortoises.. :)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/190520091414.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/190520091410.jpg

I got a Farney's catalog a couple days ago with this pen on the cover. I know it is different from previous editions. It should be different. It shows that the pen designers respect the integrity of the older pens by making sure there is no mistaking one for the other. At least not among serious collectors. I noticed that Fahrneys had only F-M &B nibs but Joon also offers the XF nib with this pen. I just placed an order for the one with the XF nib and am looking forward to seeing how it looks in my hands. I like that there are no large gaps of transparent plastic stirpes between the tortoise colors like there in the white tortoise and I like the absence of the ink view window too.

edit. I like that the solid plastic is chocolate instead of black too.

PPS IMHO, silver trim would be totally wrong on this pen and I really really like most of my other brown pens. Sorry Deirdre.

Edited by Artie

After buying my 'grail pen' (a blue M600 with XF nib) I thought I was done for the year. But I just have to have this beautiful pen! I just preordered mine! I can't wait to hold it in my hands.

Now...should I tell my wife or not... The M600 was supposed to be my last expensive pen purchase for a long time.

I noticed that Fahrneys had only F-M &B nibs but Joon also offers the XF nib with this pen. I just placed an order for the one with the XF nib and am looking forward to seeing how it looks in my hands.

Hmm, that is strange that Joon offers EF. Pelikan only released this pen with F-B nibs. The nibs are single tone yellow gold and look distinct to the model.

I noticed that Fahrneys had only F-M &B nibs but Joon also offers the XF nib with this pen. I just placed an order for the one with the XF nib and am looking forward to seeing how it looks in my hands.

Hmm, that is strange that Joon offers EF. Pelikan only released this pen with F-B nibs. The nibs are single tone yellow gold and look distinct to the model.

It is strange indeed. Swisher and FPH both show the pen with single tone nib, whereas Joon shows dual tone nib, which one should it be?

The picture of the pen on line at Joon's AND the pictures in Fahrney's catalog both show the pen with a two tone nib.

Edited by Artie

I'm afraid this is not a limited edition. Limited edition is those one-time production with series number. I think this is special production which is similiar with special edition but with repeat production as long as the demand is there.

Well if you sell pens from the Benz collection, "limited edition" means that at some point in time they stopped making it. LOL

You are right though. Limited edition is generally taken to mean only a given number will be produced. Fahrneys says this is a limited time production. Like some limited edition ceramic pieces are limited to so many firing days. That COULD mean millions.. there would be no set number.

Bottom is a Levenger special.

Original M400 body with a 200/250 cap.

"Today is, where your book begins...the rest is still unwritten"

-Natasha Bedingfield