The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Visconti Blue

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 chkuo

chkuo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:06

Special thanks to Bryant for giving me a bottle of this wonderful ink.

Sponsored Content

#2 elena

elena

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:26

I like this ink, too. Quite simply, reliably blue.

#3 kenmc

kenmc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:57

I really like this blue too. I find all the Visconti inks dry and a cure for medium wet writers.
Ken McDaniel
<")}}}>><(

#4 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 18:23

That Visconti blue looks good too. Decisions...decisions....You know what they say, "variety is the spice of life."
Posted Image

#5 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 00:41

Visconti is my favorite blue. Thanks for the review.
Regards,

Ray

#6 jk0592

jk0592

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:16

Visconti blue is also my number one blue.

#7 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:26

Visconti Blue is also my #1 blue - great stuff, imho/ime. I do wish they would bring back the glass v-bottle instead of the plastic ones. sad.gif
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#8 hookem11

hookem11

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 22:12

Also like Visconti blue. I managed to get one of the old glass V bottles on EBay. It was full of vintage ink which unfortunately had faded to a very pale blue but am using the bottle for my modern Visconti
Regards,
Al

#9 acolythe

acolythe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:16

QUOTE (southpaw @ May 9 2009, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Visconti Blue is also my #1 blue - great stuff, imho/ime. I do wish they would bring back the glass v-bottle instead of the plastic ones. sad.gif

My local shop said found me two bottlers and says the l;ocal Visconti rep says tha he has no knowledge that the glass bottles will be discontinued
b

#10 Phormio

Phormio

General Secretary of the Soviet Collective of Fountain Pen Users

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:37

I recently got a bottle of Visconti Blue and I have to say it appears much darker than what this review looks like.

Is that normal? Are there variations between bottles?
Lots of wants, limited funds!

#11 Doug Add

Doug Add

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2009 - 15:33

QUOTE (Phormio @ May 16 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently got a bottle of Visconti Blue and I have to say it appears much darker than what this review looks like.

Depends a lot on the pen. I currently have Visconti Blue in a Pelikan 800 and a 1927 Parker Duofold Jr., both with fine nibs. The line produced by the Parker is considerably darker than that of the Pelikan because the vintage nib writes a wetter line. The Parker lays down so much more ink than the Pelikan, and consequently dries darker on the page.

This is quickly becoming my favorite blue thanks to a friend on Pentrace. He kindly sent me a bottle for the ridiculously low price he found it at a local sale in Philadelphia.

#12 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2009 - 16:02

Visconti, my favorite blue!
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#13 UsFour

UsFour

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 16:56

QUOTE (Phormio @ May 16 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen others make similar observations. I believe this darkening to be the case as well. The new blue I find in my plastic mushroom bottle is still very fine -- if indeed I am correct in saying a change has taken place -- but just not as luminous, irridescent, etc. as the earlier blue I find in my glass mushroom bottle. I would be interested in reading others' views on that point, though -- as my conclusions that the shade has changed -- those conlusions might not be accurate, and I may instead be dealing with an anomaly. I am using the same pen for comparison, though -- the same type of pen, as in two Phileases. Also, most recent re-fill plastic bottle also contains the darker shade. Some have speculated here at FPN that Visconti has changed the formula. This evidence causes me to wonder the same.

As to the plastic mushroom bottle itself, that some of us objected to earlier, I have made my peace with it. Earlier this year, several dealers told me that Visconti was switching to the plastic vs. the earlier glass, which was slated for elimination. I am surprised to read that some have heard otherwise. I will follow that conversation with interest as well. Whatever the case there -- as to making peace with the plastic mushroom bottle, I find it to be practical on its bordered plastic base, within its clear plastic cover. I super-glued the bottle to the base, and it is a sturdy and reliable ink dispenser for me. No problems -- and, although plastic, attractive enough on my desk as it is. I enjoy using it a great deal.

Even with the changes, I remain a Visconti Blue fan. Wonderful stuff.

Am enjoying this thread. Thanks to all!

happyberet.gif

#14 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:29

I'm a devoted fan of blue inks. In my estimation Visconti blue ranks among the finest available. It strikes an almost perfect balance between vibrancy and bearing.

#15 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:58

I love Visconti Blue, it's wonderful in terms of colour and flow.

Too bad it stained my desk pretty badly when I accidentally tipped over a bottle sleep.gif
In rotation:
Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

#16 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:30

True blue, beautiful color. One of the nicest inks out there, never praised enough and often not mentioned here. Outstanding product, shame the bottle changes.

#17 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 19:15

QUOTE (1000km @ Jun 23 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a devoted fan of blue inks. In my estimation Visconti blue ranks among the finest available. It strikes an almost perfect balance between vibrancy and bearing.

Ditto and Amen!
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#18 hookem11

hookem11

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 21:50

QUOTE (Ondina @ Jun 24 2009, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True blue, beautiful color. One of the nicest inks out there, never praised enough and often not mentioned here. Outstanding product, shame the bottle changes.

I agree. My favourite ink.

Regards
Al
Regards,
Al

#19 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 21:58

I was looking for this ink at stores, but a sales lady told me they are getting rid of the plastic V bottles and going back to glass... is this true? Because that would bring ink prices up... and I certainly don't want to order this one just by looking at scans.
Posted Image

#20 susibilia

susibilia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:39

If you don't want to shell out for the V Bottle (they're expensive, and if they're not made of glass they're just not worth it), you can buy a plastic 50 mL bottle for about... $7, if I can remember correctly. You should get the ink! I was apprehensive about it too, and didn't want to buy it, but a bottle came with my Visconti Wall Street, and I'm regretting not buying the ink before they sold out of the glass bottles.

I love Visconti ink smile.gif

Sponsored Content

|