Sailor Pro Gear Orange <XF>

PinarelloOnly

With the fall of the U.S. Dollar against the Yen I saw the price of the Sailor Pro Gear slowly climb from vendor to vendor.

http://fototime.com/%7BFA7E882A-E675-45BA-9AF8-4B6D9FCD4BAA%7D/origpict/IMGP2999.jpg

I could not look at the Orange Pro Gear any longer and it had to be mine. Jennifer at Swisher Pens not only located a

XF for me she came through with a two-tone one!!!!!

http://fototime.com/%7B4B8BA25D-49E0-4018-94E7-9D2A5096EB84%7D/origpict/IMGP2989.jpg

If you haven’t noticed lately with the unsure economy, vendors are keeping low stock on some pens. When it came

time for me to buy, a silver trim Pro Gear with an extra-fine nib were not the easiest to find in-stock. All I knew, was

that it had to be a two-tone nib. More common when these pens first came out but now the two-tone nib on Pro Gears

seem something of a rarity.

http://fototime.com/%7B8C488795-7992-489B-A60D-C5BC81FE1F96%7D/origpict/IMGP2990.jpg

Best way I can describe this extra-fine nib is that it has a very smooth down stroke with a side stroke that provides a

little bit of feed back from the paper you are using. Use better paper, get smoother feed back. Aurora inks proved to be

the smoothest writing overall so far. The 21k nib definitely has some flex. Although, it’s very little flex, its there.

http://fototime.com/%7BFDEE2C79-FC23-44C5-ACDC-3019FFEE1F7A%7D/origpict/IMGP3010.jpg

Ink capacity is small, especially after writing with my Aurora 88 and Custom 823 but that should not be a deciding factor

in buying one of these pens, there are too many pluses of this pen that out way the one negative and that is if I had to

find fault with this pen. If you are also a Namiki VP owner like I am…the small ink capacity won’t even be a factor since

you would already be use to it. If you are not a heavy writer it could be weeks before a refill or new cartridge anyway.

So, don’t let someone tell you that this pen has too small of an ink capacity, for the average daily writer it is enough.

http://fototime.com/%7B20B64DCF-1977-474D-8A87-2FB74228D9A2%7D/origpict/IMGP3017.jpg

The rubber / silicon (whatever its made of) “O” ring on the aluminum threaded part of the collar assembly is a nice

touch and guarantees a good seal.

http://fototime.com/%7B6D864EDC-BF1E-4EBD-9794-6DA84E09E922%7D/origpict/IMGP3013.jpg

The size of this pen posted is actually the perfect size writer for the daily grind.

Here is a little size comparison to the Aurora 88.

http://fototime.com/%7BC77DF7BD-5C17-4B64-9D85-321405FBF866%7D/origpict/IMGP3004.jpg

http://fototime.com/%7B7CE0AE2D-D67F-461B-A234-0609AC4070EF%7D/origpict/IMGP3008.jpg

http://fototime.com/%7B597C2B2A-7406-42F2-8EB5-461A52362289%7D/origpict/IMGP2991.jpg

http://fototime.com/%7B54297E65-0FA9-4D99-B2B6-739ABD7D4DE9%7D/origpict/IMGP2992.jpg

More pics coming.......

Edited by PinarelloOnly

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PinarelloOnly

• rroossinck

• E0157H7

• Joe in Seattle

It's a nice pen, thanks for the review and the nice pictures.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Smiles/puterhi.gif

Hi there Sailor fan!

That is one beeeauuutiful pen. Thanks for the pictures.

Gladwriter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Pens/SailorEFDemonstrator-1.jpg

My pro gear is black with gold trim and the elusive two/tone nib; I also bought from Swisher. I must say they've spoiled me. Whether I'm ordering a pen or just a bottle of ink and a journal refill 48 hours is the turnaround time for mailing to my location. (no afiliation, affliction, or connection)

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thanks so much for your great review and excellent pics... I've been sniffing around these for awhile, and suspect I'm getting close to buying one. In general, are Sailor nib sizes equivalent to Namiki/Pilot nib sizes? I regularly use a fine nib VP, and would not want a line smaller than that. Would a Sailor F nib be about the same?

Would love to see a pic of this beautiful pen along with an Orange Omega Planet Ocean.

That´s Paul Erdős on my avatar.

A man who symbolizes discipline.

English is not my first language, so please correct my mistakes, if you wish.

I absolutely adore this pen, specially in that colour combination! After I exhaust my Sheaffer spending spree and resist impulse buying Nakaya's I will probably get it.

Is the appeal of the 2-tone nib purely an aesthetic choice or am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your great review and excellent pics... I've been sniffing around these for awhile, and suspect I'm getting close to buying one. In general, are Sailor nib sizes equivalent to Namiki/Pilot nib sizes? I regularly use a fine nib VP, and would not want a line smaller than that. Would a Sailor F nib be about the same?

My VP <F> point is a 5 year old 14k nib.......(I do not know about the newer 18k nibs....) However, with that stated, my VP <F> is equal to my

Sailor <XF>. You do not have to worry about going finer than the VP <F> with the Sailor <XF>, in my case writing with both right now, I could

easily say that they are both dead on in line width with Aurora Blue.

I absolutely adore this pen, specially in that colour combination! After I exhaust my Sheaffer spending spree and resist impulse buying Nakaya's I will probably get it.

Is the appeal of the 2-tone nib purely an aesthetic choice or am I missing something?

For me...it was an aesthetic reason. I think the two tone nib looks best with the Ivory and Orange Pro Gears, and the full rhodium (mono tone) nib

looks smashing with the Black Pro Gear. I do not want to start a discussion on which looks better, thats just me.

Just a year ago it became a 50-50 shot on weather you got a mono-tone or two-tone nib. I think way down the road used Pro Gears with two-tone

nibs are going to command a lttle more $$$ when more mono tone nib Pro Gears start showing up used. Again, thats just me.

Stunning pics. Thank you very much. :notworthy1:

I am curious about the PG nibs. I have two PGs, one with a monotone rhodium nib with the anchor emblem engraved, identical to at least one of my full-size 1911's. The other is two-tone with a script "PG" in place of the anchor emblem. Yours is two-tone with the anchor.

They were purchased new in November 2006 (PG engraved two-tone) and May 2008 (anchor engraved monotone) from Sailor vendors.

I know a vendor may have the answer but there are a lot of Sailor fans on FPN. I have not yet searched the Rising Sun forum.

I spotted this by swapping out the section/converter assembly between a 1911 and the newer PG to get a different body and nib combo. They fit perfectly and the section/converter assemblies appear identical.

Bill

Wow, what a beautiful pen! Thanks for the pictures.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

I am curious about the PG nibs. I have two PGs, one with a monotone rhodium nib with the anchor emblem engraved, identical to at least one of my full-size 1911's. The other is two-tone with a script "PG" in place of the anchor emblem. Yours is two-tone with the anchor.

They were purchased new in November 2006 (PG engraved two-tone) and May 2008 (anchor engraved monotone) from Sailor vendors.

I know a vendor may have the answer but there are a lot of Sailor fans on FPN. I have not yet searched the Rising Sun forum.

I spotted this by swapping out the section/converter assembly between a 1911 and the newer PG to get a different body and nib combo. They fit perfectly and the section/converter assemblies appear identical.

Bill

Bill that's a good catch. I will be looking for a chrome/black 1911 at the Boston pen show this month....that's an added benefit of being able to

swap out assemblies.

It would also explain why the 1911 went to an all black collar when fully available in the US. Probably helped stream line the assembly and cost vs. producing matching color collars with the bodies.

Here is a writing sample........

http://fototime.com/%7BA73F68A3-27C6-437E-830E-3FEE79DE2362%7D/origpict/IMGP3083.jpg

God job on the review. I don't think I'm getting good color representation on my monitor, is the color comparable to that LE VP put out a couple of years ago?

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

My VP <F> point is a 5 year old 14k nib.......(I do not know about the newer 18k nibs....) However, with that stated, my VP <F> is equal to my

Sailor <XF>. You do not have to worry about going finer than the VP <F> with the Sailor <XF>, in my case writing with both right now, I could

easily say that they are both dead on in line width with Aurora Blue.

+1 on this - my 1911 F is not as fine as any of the VP Fs I've got, but it is finer than a Pelikan EF.

Very nice review, Pinarello!

Ryan.