Suggestions for Autumn ink colors

oldnavy1988

I'm looking for autumn colors (time to admit the summer is gone) and came across this thread ...so far I'm going with:

Antique Copper

Momiji

Apache Sunset

Still looking for a few more colors to round things out - any thoughts?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldnavy1988

• hamadryad11

• foxtail1

• Martini1R

I suspect I will be an outlier with this suggestion, but how about Rohrer and Klinger Scabiosa? On bright white paper, it begins as a dusty purple, evoking the grape harvest, but over time--two months or so--it turns coppery lilac.

Diamine Terra Cotta is a nice one for fall. I think J Herbin Vert Empire would be as well, since it's sort of a faded green. And there's always blue-black, and in particular blue-grey: Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue and Akkerman #9 are particularly nice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For me Autumn means pumpkins (my hometown's fall festival is pumpkin-based) so I am going with orange (Orange Crush), green (Avacado) and brown (Kiowa Pecan) as my fall colors this year.

Were I from someplace else-- like New England with its gorgeous leaves, I bet I'd pick differently! :)

I like Apache Sunset and Lamy Copper Orange as my autumn foliage colors. Though as my attention keeps gently drifting back to gold (a color family I never expected I'd have any interest in), KWZI Old Gold has some appeal to me. Noodler's Navajo Turquoise has always made me think of the blue of an autumn sky, which is one reason I love it so much.

EDIT: And, having looked over visvamitra's review, I think I might be dipping into my supply of Diamine Pumpkin, too. That settles it: I need more pens. :D

Edited by thudthwacker

Noodlers Apache Sunset, Levenger Pomegranate

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Omas Sepia and Iro horsetail are nice fall colors. Apache Sunset would be a nice one but it varies pen to pen. I got very orange in one and brownish in another. Zhivago is also a good choice.

Dark orange and dark brown until Thanksgiving. Then I switch to winter colors.

For winter I tend to think Grey, dark grey. Light grey if you live in snowy area. And then of course if it is the holidays I would go very colorful, bright red, green, purple, etc.

I hate the color Orange with a passion, so I'm not going to suggest any of that... So, maybe...

Diamine Red Dragon (a deep, slightly brownish red), it kind of reminds me of autumn leaves at sunrise.

Sailor Doyou (a brown-black) it might be a "summer" ink from Sailors Four Seasons line-up, but I think it's more of a fall color as it reminds me of charred wood giving of it's last faint glow as the fire in the fireplace is slowly burning out.

J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey, as autumn in the Netherlands is usually stormy and grey (and wet).

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Diamine Red Dragon is my favourite red ink, so I will definitely use that during this season.

I know that some people don't like orange inks, but it's October, so we have to mention Diamine Pumpkin. :D I have it to review, and I plan to do that very soon.

Diamine Autumn Oak, Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst, Diamine Ancient Copper, Pelikan Edelstein Amber, J Herbin Ambre de Birmaine.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions - it's a shame I can't justify having a dozen or more pens in rotation ;-)

Equally interesting is reading how different people "interpret" autumn - thank you for that, as well.

I'm seconding Oku-yama. The combination of dark red with the green sheen resembles the way some Japanese maples look when their leaves start to turn. It's spectacular.

Thanks for posting this topic, I've gotten a few new inks on my radar now, including maybe the first brown that's ever really caught my eye.

My pens: Penny the Penmanship, Dot the Metropolitan, Pallas the Parallel, Neoma the High Ace Neo, Petra the Petit1, Calliope the Kakuno (Also, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense)

My bottles of ink: Sailor Epinard & Ultramarine; Mysterious Blue (Wishlist: Oku Yama)

Today I just received the SBRE Brown ink by Diamine from the always perfect La Couronne du Comte & it is a great fall colored brown. I am not always happy with "brown's leaning red" but this is such a subtle reddish cast that I like it. It shades beautifully & seems to be a nice autumn choice.

(I apologise I lack the sense or ability to scan or upload on my MacBook but Dr. Brown does have a nice review of this ink on his site.)

I'm also a big fan of Dr Brown's new ink and really enjoyed his you tube video introducing it. Unfortunately it sold out the first run of 300 bottles in no time. I'm hoping he decides to continue and expand his line of inks.

These are my picks for an inky autumnal palette.

21407830873_73962681e6_z.jpg

Noodler's (if the name is in English) and J. Herbin (if the name is in French)

I'm seconding Oku-yama. The combination of dark red with the green sheen resembles the way some Japanese maples look when their leaves start to turn. It's spectacular.

Thanks for posting this topic, I've gotten a few new inks on my radar now, including maybe the first brown that's ever really caught my eye.

And I'll vote for that!

http://s0.homezz.com/201501/5915/49138_z.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Haha! Thanks for the assist! So gorgeous...Probably the ink that made me fall in love with Sailor inks, even if it's not my all time favorite.

And I'll vote for that!

My pens: Penny the Penmanship, Dot the Metropolitan, Pallas the Parallel, Neoma the High Ace Neo, Petra the Petit1, Calliope the Kakuno (Also, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense)

My bottles of ink: Sailor Epinard & Ultramarine; Mysterious Blue (Wishlist: Oku Yama)

Lots of people commending on orange, which is very Halloween - Thanksgiving. But RED and Green are also fall colors:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/832/overrides/autumn-leaves-kyoto-japan_83237_600x450.jpg

Some autumn colours for me are:

J Herbin Vert Empire, Poussiere de Lune, Bleu Nuit

Lamy Copper Orange

Diamine Sunset

Pelikan Edelstein Garnet, Amethyst

Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Most Blue Black and Black inks.