The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodlers "Prime of the Commons"

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:06

reminds me of noodler's aircorp blue black. very nice indeed Posted Image
-rudy-

Sponsored Content

#62 Inkdependence

Inkdependence

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 00:58

Congrats on your son's success, and this ink looks like a winner. Thanks for the review.
My Blog: Inkdependence!

#63 graphlology

graphlology

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2014 - 13:29

PurePens in the UK have this, possibly my favourite almost black, ink in stock at the moment. Got myself a spare bottle of it just a week ago for anyone who is interested in getting hold of it.

#64 scunepo

scunepo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 15:16

Really enjoyed your review and I hope your son takes to the fountain pen you have bought for him. Lucky man!

I've received a bottle of the Noodler's Prime of the Commons today.

I'm having real problems with it, unfortunately. I've tried it in four pens and four different papers.

I love the colour, its permanence and its drying time. However, in my experiments is spreads, feathers and bleeds through the papers including Rhodia. I have tried it with a fine nib but it still writes like a medium. My last option is to try and EF nib but I'm not a lover of them.

Anyone else having similar problems with the ink?   

Live life, not long life

#65 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 15:36

Not with this ink specifically, but with my bottles of 54th and General of the Armies

Have you tried shaking the bottle of ink a LOT (think paint shaker in a hardware store) and THEN filling the pen? For both of my bottles listed above, this makes SOME improvement to the behaviour. Further improvement comes from adding some water to the mix (in a sample vial of course) and diluting the ink slightly, which has the benefit of diluting the surfactants used. 

Good luck.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#66 scunepo

scunepo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 17:53

Thanks for that. I only lightly agitated the bottle. I'll give it a more vigorous shake. Could you advise me what degree of dilution would be appropriate please and do you think the weakening will damage the bulletproof properties?

Live life, not long life

#67 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 18:22

When diluting I start at about 5:1 ink:water ratio and increase until the ink either behaves, or changes the colour enough that i don't like it and give up.

Hence the importance of doing it in a sample vial, in small batches (about one pen fill at a time in my case)

Nathan himself at one point (in a video i think?...) said some of his inks could be diluted 1:1, essentially doubling your value of ink/$ 

I don't know if it will weaken the bulletproof properties as I'm not a chemist, but since ink is mostly water in the first place, I suspect it will not have a significant effect on the cellulose reactive dyes and the ink will likely remain bulletproof. YMMV and only testing will show for sure.

Maybe if you are successful, you could write up a review and either add it to this thread, or start your own, detailing how much water you mixed and before/after performance and testing results, etc.

Edited by IThinkIHaveAProblem, 01 June 2020 - 18:23.

#68 scunepo

scunepo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 19:26

Thank you once again IThinkIHaveAProblem. Your guidance is really appreciated.

Live life, not long life

#69 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 20:12

good luck, let us know how it works out!

#70 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:43

It does have its quirks but is a great ink. Plenty of shaking before use is definitely advised.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#71 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:49

Anyone else having similar problems with the ink?   

Yes, plenty. As IThinkHaveAProblem pointed out, it suffers from the same ailments as 54thMA, General of the Armies and other bulletproof inks, but Prime of the Commons is the worse by a margin. Feathering, spreading and bleethrough are through the roof. I haven't used mine in a long while because of that, whereas I did use 54thMA with a degree of satisfaction, on finer nibs.

I tried diluting my 54thMA, it helped a bit, but not enough in my eyes to make it worth the hassle. Ymmv ofc and I'd greatly appreciate if you let us know whether it works for you. :)

#72 scunepo

scunepo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:50

Thanks you for your assistance.

I have emptied and cleaned the pen which held problematic Prime of the Commons. I have no vials unfortunately so I have tried to dilute the ink by counting how many turn the filler takes to travel from top to bottom and then inking first but stopping with one full turn left. The last turn I used water. Very unscientific I realise but what a difference it made! The bottle of ink I had thought would sit unused on the shelf had been given a new lease of life. The feathering has stopped and bleed through much reduced.

I will buy some vials etc. to be more accurate with my diluting but for the present, thank you to everyone who has advised me. Great and welcome advice.

Live life, not long life

#73 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:17

Very glad this has worked out for you!

Tried this on my general of the armies the other day again... on clairefontaine it’s OK. But on leuchtturm it was still a spreading bleeding nightmare :(

Sponsored Content

|