The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodlers "Prime of the Commons"

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Phormio

Phormio

General Secretary of the Soviet Collective of Fountain Pen Users

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2009 - 22:53

Hi there,

I just purchased some of this ink and whilst I am impressed with it's qualities I am finding that if I leave my pen, a Stipula Vedo Medium, capped for say a day or two then the pen is a little difficult to start when I pick it up with this ink.

Now I haven't tried it in any other pen, so it may just be a pen/ink combination BUT I've not encountered this problem before with this pen with other inks.

I know this is an 'old' thread but considering the issue with this ink I thought it correct to post here.

Otherwise I do like the look of this ink though I would suggest it's a green/black as opposed to a blue/black but considering what some old doucments look like I think it a highly appropriate colour that well matches it's name.

cheers,

P
Lots of wants, limited funds!

Sponsored Content

#22 Phormio

Phormio

General Secretary of the Soviet Collective of Fountain Pen Users

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:57

Further to my previous post I found this ink also stained the converter in my Stipula.

Still like it though....
Lots of wants, limited funds!

#23 OPG4711

OPG4711

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:09

Is there any source for this ink in the U.S.?
- OPG4711

#24 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:41

awesome review and great post! and good job raising a successful son and being a caring father to gift him with a wonderful fountain pen and awesome ink.

#25 oldstoat

oldstoat

Extremely Rare

• All Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 23:12

I've had this in several c/c pens including a Sonnet, a P45 and a Conway Stewart and found no staining at all, although if you're bothered by nib creep this will bother you a lot. It flushes out perfectly well.I find it quite a wet ink, and get a bit of bleedthrough with my broadest, wettest nibs; even so that's less of a problem than with Polar Blue, my only other Noodler's Bulletproof.
I flunked my metaphysics exam. I was caught gazing into the soul of the guy next to me Woody Allen

Posted Image

#26 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:13

You may try Greenman on ebay. He has a lot of Noodlers other folk don't have
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#27 Annie

Annie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 15:34

You may try Greenman on ebay. He has a lot of Noodlers other folk don't have

Greenman508 does not carry this ink. It's an exclusive for the UK, so I think your best source is Martin at The Writing Desk.

Edited by Annie, 15 November 2009 - 15:36.

#28 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 16:01

annie: you're correct, he does not have Prime; does have, though, many of the UK and Russian inks. Should've checked his site before I posted. My BAD
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#29 Annie

Annie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 16:26

annie: you're correct, he does not have Prime; does have, though, many of the UK and Russian inks. Should've checked his site before I posted. My BAD

But it's great that George (Greenman508) DOES carry many of the formerly exclusive-to-a-particular-store Noodler's inks. I don't think he can order inks that are exclusive to particular countries, such as Prime and Stockholm.

#30 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:40

I just flushed PotC out of my Pro Gear (F), like I did with Legal Lapis before. They both dry to shades of a dull petrol colour, a grey-green with little if any blue. In the vicinity of most other inks they look underwhelming. I can't become friends with both, so back to Noodler's Navy again, which is sufficiently water resistant and is still a nice blue shade when dry.

#31 mejdrich

mejdrich

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:42

saintsimon:

Can you see any difference between PotC and Legal Lapis? I just flushed LL and filled with PotC and, in the artificial light of my office, I am struggling to see any variation... (Using a broad, so a bunch of ink is put down...)

Just curious.
Your ad here.

#32 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:50

saintsimon:

Can you see any difference between PotC and Legal Lapis? I just flushed LL and filled with PotC and, in the artificial light of my office, I am struggling to see any variation... (Using a broad, so a bunch of ink is put down...)

Just curious.

I just checked in both daylight and bulb light. Having opened both bottles, both inks look the same, the colour inside the caps look the same. Using an italic dip nib, both colours cannot be distinguished under both lighting conditions. It is most likely the same ink sold under different labels. Using a wet, wide italic nib, this ink stands its own, but using a regular fine nib in the vicinity of true blue inks, it looses any appeal for me. It is just dull and grey-green.

#33 Mille

Mille

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:27

Has anyone asked Noodlers if the really are the same?
The pen is mighter than the sword. Support Wikileaks!

#34 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:46

Has anyone asked Noodlers if the really are the same?

They aren't; LL is completely impervious to bleach, and PotC changes color (intentionally).

#35 mejdrich

mejdrich

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 15:46

Well, I will accept they are chemically different (since I can't verify), but they look very similar, although, the flow seems a bit wetter on the PotC...

I must admit I am bit disappointed in not having access to Nathan to ask these questions... His "private label"/different market/"exclusives" strategy is one I applaud, however, it is extremely frustrating to not have a resource that could respond to questions. I just paid to have a bottle of PotC shipped from over the pond... If I had been able to confirm it is (in essence) the same as LL, I would have spent the money on a different color and be a much more satisfied customer.

That said, the advent of Noodler's has certainly catalyzed the industry to take a bit more risk and broaden the available base of colors.... And, for this, I am grateful.
Your ad here.

#36 drunken spider

drunken spider

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 18:07

I'm a latecomer to this one, but thanks for the review. I had been eyeing up POTC at nichepens and had also wondered if it was the same as Lagal Lapis.

#37 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:51

Congratulations on your son becoming a lawyer! The ink seems good, but the choice of pen as the gift as simply excellent let me tell you.
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#38 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 15:17

I've just had delivery of a bottle and it's wonderful! Perfect colour for my tastes - a blue-black with just a hint of green. Similar to Diamine Blue-Black. I've yet to try any water tests! It's wetter than some ink I have and is really good in my Pelikan M215 with a Fine nib - Lamy Blue-Black and Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black are particularly dry in this pen. No surprise there, then.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#39 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:37

I've just had delivery of a bottle and it's wonderful! Perfect colour for my tastes - a blue-black with just a hint of green. Similar to Diamine Blue-Black. I've yet to try any water tests! It's wetter than some ink I have and is really good in my Pelikan M215 with a Fine nib - Lamy Blue-Black and Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black are particularly dry in this pen. No surprise there, then.

Where were you able to find it? The Writing Desk—suggested earlier in this thread—doesn't carry Noodler's anymore, alas.

Also, did anyone ever conclusively say the shade is identical to Legal Lapis? I just ordered LL from Pendemonium as a Christmas present to myself!

#40 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2011 - 14:52

Where were you able to find it? The Writing Desk—suggested earlier in this thread—doesn't carry Noodler's anymore, alas.

Also, did anyone ever conclusively say the shade is identical to Legal Lapis? I just ordered LL from Pendemonium as a Christmas present to myself!

I actually bought it from Niche/Pelikan Pens but I've noticed that they are now showing 'out of stock'. I'm glad I bought some when I did. I don't know about the LL similarity though. I'll put a scan of P o t C on here before Christmas if possible.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Sponsored Content

|