The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 823 <F>

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 20:53

Finally a pen a lot of us wanted to see come to the shores of the States.

There is no denying the huge ink capacity. Even rivaling some of the biggest piston fillers.

Mostly all of us Namiki owners know what outstanding nibs Pilot creates and that goes for the much less talked about feeds.
Ink delivery is one of the most reliable, non-fussy and fast when you need it. This also goes for my Bamboo <F>.

When filled with ink this pen is somewhat heavier than my Aurora 88 but however I would not call it a heavy pen.

Some comparative shots. Talentum / 823 / VP

I must point out that there has been a small debate of preference of a piston filler vs. a vacuum filled pen.
You can't possibly in my book have a choice, there is plenty of room to love both. Both filling systems
have their perks. You can't deny a modern day vacuum filler just because you love piston fillers better.
It just doesn't make sense because they are so completely different from one another.

Here is where my pictorial review takes a insane turn. Look at the similarities of the 823 and Aurora 88.

Hard to justify in this economy that anyone would buy a no-frills daily writer for near $300. But I have no problem
recommending the 823 if you were looking to spend that much on a fountain pen. It's reliable and a serious writer
for the daily grind.

As you can see most of the extra length of the 823 over the Aurora 88 is with the cap. Other than that the barrel
length between the two is pretty even with the 823 being a tad longer.

Edited by PinarelloOnly, 03 May 2009 - 15:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 encremental

encremental

sprightly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 21:03

Thank you for that. What I think never quite comes over until you hold the pen in your hand is the build quality. You really are in Pelikan M800/1000 territory, and this somehow seems hard to convey in photographs. Also, if you ever thought that a Japanese F might seem in any way scratchy, you are in for a treat. Hard to imagine how such a tiny spot of tipping material could be that smooth.

John

#3 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 21:07

How does the weight compare to the Talentum and Pilot VP? I love the weight of both of those as well as the Pelikan M800. How does it compare?
www.stevelightart.com

#4 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 21:15

QUOTE (stevlight @ May 2 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does the weight compare to the Talentum and Pilot VP? I love the weight of both of those as well as the Pelikan M800. How does it compare?

If you write with the Talentum un-capped the 823 feels the same weight wise. Just a little narrower in the grip.
Definitely a little lighter than the VP when writing un-posted.

#5 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 21:53

Thanks for this review -- especially the pics! I'm not afflicted with much pen-lust, but I'd have to admit that this is one pen that I feel an uncommon attraction to. Maybe I should look away...

Doug

#6 JFT

JFT

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 22:30

Thank you for the review and the nice pictures. I am interested too in the pen and I am wondering how is the nib? Stiff or springy? How wet would you rate it out of the box?

Thank you smile.gif
Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)
Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)
Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)
Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)
Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)
Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

#7 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 22:49

QUOTE (JFT @ May 2 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the review and the nice pictures. I am interested too in the pen and I am wondering how is the nib? Stiff or springy? How wet would you rate it out of the box?

Thank you smile.gif

I have a light touch so, I do not press down very hard on my nibs, especially anything that is a <F> or <XF>.
With that said all modern nibs to me are stiff.

However, my wife called it springy when she tried it out because she writes with her fountain pens like they are roller balls!

Out of the box, smooth and wet flow with Waterman Florida Blue and Aurora inks. That's all I use.

#8 JFT

JFT

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 23:23

QUOTE (PinarelloOnly @ May 2 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JFT @ May 2 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you smile.gif

I have a light touch so, I do not press down very hard on my nibs, especially anything that is a <F> or <XF>.
With that said all modern nibs to me are stiff.

However, my wife called it springy when she tried it out because she writes with her fountain pens like they are roller balls!

Out of the box, smooth and wet flow with Waterman Florida Blue and Aurora inks. That's all I use.

I agree with you that modern nibs are rather stiff though I consider some, like Omas nibs, to be somewhat springy even with light pressure, not that they give much line variation but still that little springiness comfy biggrin.gif

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)
Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)
Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)
Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)
Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)
Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

#9 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2009 - 00:15

Thanks for a very nice review, PinarelloOnly. I've always enjoyed reading your reviews, and, while reading this one it struck me that we share similar taste in Japanese pens. I also own a VP, Bamboo and 823. All that being said, I agree that the 823 is an absolute workhorse and low bling-factor writer. However, it excels at putting ink onto paper, and is remarkably smooth considering mine, like yours is a fine nib.

I'll have to write my own review, because, I absolutely love the pen.

French

#10 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 00:22

QUOTE (French @ May 2 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
......However, it excels at putting ink onto paper, and is remarkably smooth considering mine, like yours is a fine nib.

French

thumbup.gif

#11 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2009 - 20:53

QUOTE (French @ May 2 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to write my own review, because, I absolutely love the pen.

French

Please do! The more reviews, the better... only remember to be objective. wink.gif
biggrin.gif

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#12 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 15:56

QUOTE (encremental @ May 2 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I think never quite comes over until you hold the pen in your hand is the build quality. You really are in Pelikan M800/1000 territory, and this somehow seems hard to convey in photographs.

I agree. I mean no slander against these other companies, but I think the 823's build quality exceeds top-end pens from Pelikan, Sailor, MB, etc. It really is something else. smile.gif
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#13 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 16:24

OOPS: PinarelloOnly, thank you for this review!

I'm very curious about this pen and hope to see one "in person" sometime.

Without having of the pens already mentioned, I am still trying to get an approximation of the weight of the pen - unposted with or without ink. Grams or ounces, anyone?

Cheers,
Julie

Edited by jde, 07 May 2009 - 16:25.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#14 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2009 - 16:56

my scale has the custom 823 at 19g unposted, full of ink.

#15 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 17:00

Wow! Thank you, French! Appreciate the info.

Sponsored Content

|