The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine Royal Blue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2009 - 21:30

I normally don't like bright or light blues. I want (or is it wanted after this encounter?) muted dark blues or blue-blacks, not this kind of clean blue. I got this in a box of mixed cartridges when I ordered Diamine ink and thought I'd try it. And I love it. I've written a lot with this ink by now and it is beginning to be my first choice for letters. It is a perfect ethereal blue. Blue as the summer evenings in the Nordic countries. It goes very well with cream coloured paper. It feathers moderately, but I think this colour is worth it. No flowing problems. The shading brings out the ethereal character of this colour. It has no starting problems after a few idle days in a capped pen. It is not a washed out blue, more like a pale bright blue. Not muted, but not speaking loud either. Calm, but not sedated. Lovely.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Sponsored Content

#2 Carrie

Carrie

FPN Chief Intelligence Officer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2009 - 22:44

After my mum had her stroke I picked up a Parker 51 for her figuring the manifold nib would be the best thing for her learning to write again with her left hand. I ordered her a bottle of Diamine Sapphire Blue, however, she decided she much preferred my bottle of Royal Blue - I never even had the opportunity to use it before she claimed it.

#3 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 22:52

This is my everyday blue now -- thank you for the review.

#4 English John

English John

English John

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:01

Thank you for the review
To my mind, this is the benchmark mid-blue. No other colours in it as far as I can tell...just blue !
On my monitor, it seems darker than on my page.
If anyone knows of another ink in a similar colour , please let the blue fans know !!

I currently have this in my Pilot Bamboo , medium

It can feather in a broad nib in my experience, but generally well behaved with medium flow and lubrication.

John

#5 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 16:42

Thanks for the review!
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#6 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2009 - 20:04

I had this in one of my Tombow Objects and it was a very nice medium blue. A bit pale for my liking, but I can see why it's a popular shade. It's well behaved like most Diamine inks. My favourite Diamine blue is Sapphire, though.

#7 Bipedallou

Bipedallou

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2009 - 23:57

Thank you for this review, it was helpful. I appreciate seeing a good sample of the color. I am glad I haven't purchased any of this for myself, even though I know that Diamine is a quality ink this color of blue just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks to you, and so many others who take the time to provide such excellent reviews, it eliminates, (or at least should cut down on), a number of mistaken choices, and thus frustration; not to mention becoming overstocked with bottles of ink that will never get used.

Lou
thumbup.gif

#8 1000km

1000km

Full-time writer

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 00:28

I find Diamine Royal Blue a lot more light and vivid than it appears in the scan. It's far too bright and cheery for me to use at work. It reminds me of my days back in the class-room.

#9 Lachesis

Lachesis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:11

Thanks for the review! This blue is relaxing and calming, the kind of ink I would use to remind me of summer when inside the classroom.

Lachesis

#10 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:03

Thanks for the vivid description in your evocative review. I like the phrase "clean blue." On my monitor, the color seems a bit more purply than my ink is. English John's characterization of it as a benchmark mid-blue also seems right on target. (It taught me that I greatly prefer the more purple-tinged blues, but that's another story smile.gif .)
Posted Image

#11 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 19:14

During the school year, this is my main ink of choice. Love it to death and back

#12 DougS

DougS

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2009 - 19:39

Well, I like the shade of blue and the ink washes out of my pens nicely. Unfortunately that is what I end up doing with this ink because it bleeds and feathers too much for me! Same with my Tropical Blue 2004 from the Florida Pen Show. But I truly want to love these inks.

Regards

#13 shadowsforbars

shadowsforbars

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:22

I was disappointed when I first got this ink; I wouldn't describe the colour as 'Royal Blue'. However, after living with it for a while, I quite like it now.

#14 radamosk

radamosk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:03

I was disappointed when I first got this ink; I wouldn't describe the colour as 'Royal Blue'. However, after living with it for a while, I quite like it now.

I agree that this ink is misnamed, but my goodness, it is a joy. I use this regularly in my moleskine. There is some bleed through, but the colour is positively inspirational. Most commonly, I am using a Namiki fine, and flow has been just great.

Sponsored Content

|