The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

FS: Dip Pen with 10 flexy nibs

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 metaphora

metaphora

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 00:27

WOW!! I just got mine today. That was some of the fastest shipping ever! LOVED the packaging, jbb! Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to trying these out.

Sponsored Content

#42 Rolard

Rolard

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 00:57

If I hadn't just won the 51 I've been trying to get for ages I'd order a set today. As is I'll have to wait till the next payday or the wife will smack me for feeding my pen addiction. embarrassed_smile.gif

Rolard
Posted Image Posted Image

#43 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:37

QUOTE (Rolard @ Jul 9 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I hadn't just won the 51 I've been trying to get for ages I'd order a set today. As is I'll have to wait till the next payday or the wife will smack me for feeding my pen addiction. embarrassed_smile.gif

Rolard

It's always good to encourage your spouse in indulging a passion of their own. It makes for much easier negotiations. rolleyes.gif Congrats on finding a good 51. thumbup.gif

#44 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 13:36

QUOTE (metaphora @ Jul 9 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!! I just got mine today. That was some of the fastest shipping ever! LOVED the packaging, jbb! Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to trying these out.

Thanks metaphora. smile.gif

#45 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:42

^^

#46 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2009 - 13:05

^^

#47 HokieGeek

HokieGeek

I clearly have a pen and ink addiction, and you guys are no help

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2009 - 13:32

I got mine yesterday and am having way more fun than I thought I would with them! Thanks, Jill!

Currently inked pens:

• Pelikan M205 Amethyst [F] (Noodler's Manhattan Blue)
  • Shaeffer PFM II Blue (Private Reserve Naples Blue)
  • Lamy 2000 [Binder Italifine 0.7/0.5] (J. Herbin Vert Empire)
  • Waterman Ideal N° 01855 (Noodler's Walnut)
  • Pilot Vanishing Point Mustard [Binder Stub Italic 0.6] (Noodler's Walnut)

#48 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2009 - 15:38

QUOTE (HokieGeek @ Jul 12 2009, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got mine yesterday and am having way more fun than I thought I would with them! Thanks, Jill!

I think the U.S. mail has gotten faster. I'm glad you're having fun. thumbup.gif

#49 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:23

I'd like a set!
thumbup.gif
PM sent, just waiting to hear back with your PayPal info so I can send you the money via my PayPal Instant Bank Transfer.
Thanks, really looking forward to trying these, my first-ever dip pens of any kind and it will be a real pleasure buying them from you!

Scott
“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.
There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [Scott]; 5 October, 2009

#50 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:04

The transaction is already complete and WOW was that ever FAST [PayPal Instant Transfers usually are fast, but your response time was exceptionally fast too]!
I'll post back when they arrive and thanks so very much for taking care of this so quickly.
Thanks, jbb, can barely wait to try them;
I’m thinking my wife will enjoy giving them a “test-drive” as well, that is if she can pry me away from them long enough once they get here.
Awesome!
clap1.gif

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

#51 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:06

QUOTE (Inka @ Jul 14 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The transaction is already complete and WOW was that ever FAST [PayPal Instant Transfers usually are fast, but your response time was exceptionally fast too]!
I'll post back when they arrive and thanks so very much for taking care of this so quickly.
I’m thinking my wife will enjoy giving them a “test-drive” as well, that is if she can pry me away from them long enough once they get here.
Awesome!
clap1.gif

Your package is on the way in today's mail! thumbup.gif

#52 penviper

penviper

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:47

QUOTE (jbb @ Jul 16 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Inka @ Jul 14 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome!
clap1.gif

hope to get mine too. good communication.

#53 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:36

QUOTE (jbb @ Jul 15 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thaks for the feedback, jbb, really looking forward to these.
thumbup.gif vbg.gif thumbup.gif

#54 claustrum

claustrum

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:02

Hi jbb

Alas us aussies miss out. Two alternatives for us are to either have someone who knows a bit about dip pens and has some inexpensive ones to sell some to us (anyone ..?) or perhaps if enough of us aussies want some from you that you might consider sending down a few sets packaged as one parcel.

Is there a brand name for these dip pens, or what might be an alternative that's in the same price range that will ship?

Mike
Conway Stewart 84, green/gold stripes with 3N nib; Lamy ST with EF nib, Sailor Sapporo and a 1911 Demonstrator.

#55 Rolard

Rolard

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 17:32

Well payday is tomorrow so if there are sets still left I will take one. smile.gif Sending a PM now.

Rolard
Posted Image Posted Image

#56 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2009 - 17:49

There are still sets left. thumbup.gif

#57 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2009 - 18:16

QUOTE (claustrum @ Jul 16 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Alas us aussies miss out...

Heya Mike,

can't you guys in Aussie-Land ask your local postal service what it would cost for someone in the U.S. to send you a small package like this, obviously shipped via Air-Mail?
I'm just wondering, after contacting Pendamonium of Australia to find out how much it would cost to get a bottle of Aussie Coral Sea ink shipped to Florida.
Not including GST-A fees, it would cost @ $9ASD to ship a 3oz bottle of ink here, packaged, so I would think something as lightweight as 10 steel nibs and a single wooden nib holder to cost far less.
Just a thought, that maybe someone in the U.S. and an FPN member would be willing to ship to you if you found out and paid the extra S&H charges?

P.S.;
Good luck, I've been wanting items only found in Australia shipped here and I know how much work it is to get answers, having been there already myself.

Edited by Inka, 16 July 2009 - 18:19.

#58 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2009 - 19:10

Nibs and holder arrived today.
Fast delivery, only took [2] days to get here from clear across the country!
Took some pics, the package arrived in perfect condition [I took the label off for security resons]...

Inside I'd found a beautiful hand-written note, little envelope sealed with green stars and cool purple wrapping paper also sealed with little green stars...

Unwrapped here's a shot of the nib holder, along with the nibs dumped out of the small envelope...

Thanks again, jbb, can't wait to try them now!
thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
By the way, any suggestions on the best way to use these, such as how far to insert the nibs into the holder, how far do I dip the pen into ink [i.e., past the nib, to get ink into the holder area]?
I'd noticed there's what looks like a breather hole in the nib holder, so I was thinking if the holder is dipped into the ink it would actually hold more ink, like a feed system, or am I totally off-base?

Edited by Inka, 17 July 2009 - 19:12.

#59 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2009 - 20:39

QUOTE (Inka @ Jul 17 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I'd noticed there's what looks like a breather hole in the nib holder, so I was thinking if the holder is dipped into the ink it would actually hold more ink, like a feed system, or am I totally off-base?

As far as I know, you only want to dip the nib itself (about 1/2" to 5/8") into the ink -- not the holder. If you want to make a feed for your dip nibs one fast way is to press a bit of bees wax in the back of the nib then incise a few lines to hold more ink.

#60 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2009 - 20:57

Thanks for the reply, jbb.
I was just writing with the dip pen when this came through.
I have plenty of wax for candle-making, I may even have some bees-wax so I'll give that a try.
I'm thinking now the breather hole may just be there to aid in flushing out that area should ink get into it.
I've been dipping the nibs just to the point where I get ink into the nib holes and that seems to give me several words before needing to be re-dipped.
I've tried all the different nibs already, found one I really like over the others but they're all really cool and ink blend testing has never been more efficient.
Thanks again!

Sponsored Content

|