The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cross Century II

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 muinteoir

muinteoir

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:27

Edited by MYU, 27 April 2009 - 18:12.

Diplomat #019

"In all important matters, style, not sincerity is the essential" (Oscar Wilde)

muinteoir.wordpress.com

My listings on the 'Bay

Sponsored Content

#2 matt385

matt385

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:45

Thank you for the great review. My father also carrried Cross pens and I think that started my interest in pens and fountain pens. My wish list always had a Cross on it but this clarified my thoughts and I have added the Century II to the list.
The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

#3 wangwei

wangwei

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:13

QUOTE (muinteoir @ Apr 26 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

这字写得,GOOD。
I love my dauther.
She is my everything.

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:27

Cross Pens are excellent. I have 2 Century II fountain pens and three extra nib sections for when i want a different nib width. One of them is the Chrome with gold nib, as you say very stylish and a fantastic writer.

I found and bought a sample version, i bought it from a pen shop owners personal collection. She says it was a sample she got from Cross in the early 90's and it has an 18kt nib which for the Century II is unique i think, I should actually check on this forum.

Anyway they are wonderful fountain pens enjoy them all... smile.gif

#5 DarkfireSG

DarkfireSG

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:07

Thank you for the great review. My father also carrried Cross pens and I think that started my interest in pens and fountain pens. My wish list always had a Cross on it but this clarified my thoughts and I have added the Century II to the list.

My interest was also sparked by my dads cross'. Ballpoint and Pencil Century's. I have his set, but Ive yet to try a Cross fountain..

#6 DumboMD

DumboMD

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2011 - 23:59

Wow...$18? I wish they were still that price...haha...the bay seem to have upped them all to retail price at $80-90...
Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyways...:D

Denise

#7 eaturice

eaturice

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:02

I bought one a few weeks ago at $88. Which is about $70 more than what you paid 3 years earlier. Wow at the inflation of this pen.
But great pen, looks great and writes fine. Currently my best writer from CROSS.

#8 tonydent84

tonydent84

Just Another Pen Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2012 - 23:32

Cross Pens are excellent. I have 2 Century II fountain pens and three extra nib sections for when i want a different nib width. One of them is the Chrome with gold nib, as you say very stylish and a fantastic writer.

I found and bought a sample version, i bought it from a pen shop owners personal collection. She says it was a sample she got from Cross in the early 90's and it has an 18kt nib which for the Century II is unique i think, I should actually check on this forum.

Anyway they are wonderful fountain pens enjoy them all... Posted Image

They sell the nib 18kt nib components for the Century II on their website. I have an 18k in my Century II which I bought from a European seller (the color of this pen was discontinued actually, so it might mean that the 18k nibs were more common back in the day, I don't know). Either way, I found the 18kt soft like the Namiki Falcon almost. The amount of line variation it gives is tremendous. Sadly I'm not big on the line variation so that nib sits in my box of unused pens and parts lol. But I replaced it with a gold-plated steel nib which is much firmer (more to my liking) and has very little variation.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll see if I can put the 18k to some use, maybe turn it to a stub if it's possible to do with a Medium nib. Or maybe see if someone can make it extra flexible for those days when I want to practice calligraphy.
I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

Sponsored Content

|