The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My first Estie

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#701 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:44

Nice catch!   I'm going to guess that it's a J - measure the length and width.   A J or LJ will be about 5" long.  The SJ is 4 3/4".  What nib is on it?

I have no idea! I don’t have it yet. It should be here next week.
I ordered some shellac and a sac to put on it.

I’ll update with nib number when it gets here. I’m hoping I’ll be surprised with something exciting.

Sponsored Content

#702 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:35

The pen and pencil came today.
It has a 1555 nib. Wouldnt be my first choice but thats okay. I gave it the dry test and there is a surprisingly smooth and surprising small sweet spot.

I struggled a bit to get the section off. I soaked it with water, then with warm water, pulled harder than I should have. Eventually I hit it with the hair dryer and it came off easily.

I pulled out all of the bits of sac and touched the j bar up.

Im hoping my new sac and shellac will be here soon. Ill finish cleaning out the nib, barrel, and section, and hopefully re-sac it this weekend.

#703 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:49

The pen and pencil came today.
It has a 1555 nib. Wouldnt be my first choice but thats okay. I gave it the dry test and there is a surprisingly smooth and surprising small sweet spot.

I struggled a bit to get the section off. I soaked it with water, then with warm water, pulled harder than I should have. Eventually I hit it with the hair dryer and it came off easily.

I pulled out all of the bits of sac and touched the j bar up.

Im hoping my new sac and shellac will be here soon. Ill finish cleaning out the nib, barrel, and section, and hopefully re-sac it this weekend.

I remember my first restoration last year and how satisfying it was to get the pen working again. Congratulations. I have a tool that spreads the top of the sac so that it attaches more easy. I've seen some use a tweezer with a long nose. Harbor Freight has them. Don't forget to talc the sac before assembling the pen. 

https://www.indy-pen...nd barrel wall.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#704 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2020 - 00:53

Is it normal for the feeds to be this close to the tip?

I fiddled with it a bit and the feed slid in some, but its still pretty close to the tip of the nib.

Attached Images

• 94EBE680-7DCC-4364-9E21-DC23EB0F70D8.jpeg

Edited by tleek, 24 September 2020 - 00:54.

#705 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:19

Nope. That's not normal.

#706 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:27

Nope. That's not normal.

I’ll try to push it a little farther into place

#707 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:30

I wouldn't be concerned because it will be very easy to find another or a  different nib. I was taught to hold the nib on top and bottom when turning to remove. The 2556 is one of my favorite nibs. There are three feed types with the more flatter profile being the oldest. 

Here is a useful chart.   http://snyderfamily....t/estienibs.htm

fpn_1600944897__esterbrook_nib_shape.jpg

Edited by Estycollector, 24 September 2020 - 10:55.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#708 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:08

I wouldn't be concerned because it will be very easy to find another or a  different nib. I was taught to hold the nib on top and bottom when turning to remove. The 2556 is one of my favorite nibs. There are three feed types with the more flatter profile being the oldest. 

Here is a useful chart.   http://snyderfamily....t/estienibs.htm

fpn_1600944897__esterbrook_nib_shape.jpg

I was able to adjust mine and it definitely looks like that feed on the right.

I Just put on the new sac and polished everything up a bit.

The shellac should be dry soon. I was just going to skip the talc, but I just realized I have wind indicator for hunting, Im pretty sure its pure talc. I might squirt some of that on there before I assemble everything.

Im actually just noticing that the powder in the wind indicator is purple. Im not sure if I should do it.

Edited by tleek, 27 September 2020 - 02:23.

#709 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:25

Got everything put together. I polished the plastic and the metal parts with a fleece rag with some green polishing compound, then with a flannel shirt. Its dark so my picture didnt come out great, but the set is as shiny as I would want it.

I will talc the sac later. Its much easier to remove the section now. Im sure it will be fine for a week or so.

The nib has a bit of rust o took care of with 1200 grit sandpaper, and then the same polishing compound. Im way more happy with the nib than i thought Id be. It doesnt write nearly as fine as I was worried it would.

Sorry for hi jacking this thread with my own little restoration, but here is my first Estie.😀

Attached Images

• 0A7203F1-3A72-4DDD-8F5F-DAB42E62D967.jpeg

Sponsored Content

|