My first Estie

Rob G

Woot! My first Esterbrook Deluxe! Not only with that weird metal cap and jewel, but with a flextastic 9128 nib!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h0YAAOSwCqVXiCOg/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by trdsf

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, it was worth a shot. :)

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

Got it today, and it looks even better than the pictures!

I never planned to buy an Estie, but I have an LJ in what I have seen called forest green. It was part of a set of pens on ebay, being the Estie and two Watermans although only one of the Watermans was viable, or was even a Waterman beyond the barrel.

The nib works well. After adding a sac I may keep it a while.

X

I never planned to buy an Estie, but I have an LJ in what I have seen called forest green. It was part of a set of pens on ebay, being the Estie and two Watermans although only one of the Watermans was viable, or was even a Waterman beyond the barrel.

The nib works well. After adding a sac I may keep it a while.

And so it begins...

I bought some NOS osmiroid nibs that are HUGE. I've been having so much fun. It's like getting a brand new pen again.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Although the Estie I mentioned above is as yet uninked by me, only dipped, it will be soon, so I looked a little further into nib meanings. Mine is marked 9788 which from my reading seems a pretty good thing.

Of course, this may mean I have bought the best possible Estie so will never need another. ;)

At the moment I am on an Onoto kick. I will see what happens after I have tried them. Buying from the other side of the planet, weeks pass before I can find out effectively what I have done.

X

My first Estie arrived in the mail today. I don't know what kind it is. It's a very simple gray pen. When someone recommended that I try an Estie, I kind of jumped the gun, went to ebay, and bought the first one I could afford :-). I'll shoot for prettier with the next one. I also liked that this looked narrow (I have small hands) and was supposed to be in excellent condition. I believe I learned not to purchase a pen--even for not a lot of money--unless there are several pictures, including one with the cap off. The nib is severely bent, as if someone put a ton of pressure on it. Not a big problem. I can replace the nib. Except I can't get it out. I watched a video on youtube and tried to get it out the way that was shown there, but it won't twist. It's in there solid. Is there a trick to getting a stubborn nib out?

Try soaking it. Put the nib in water to halfway up the section (the black bit you hold when writing) and leave it to soak overnight. Put a drop of dish detergent in there too, that will help. If that doesn't do the trick, get hold of some regular household ammonia and make a solution of 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water and try soaking again. Best of luck.

Try soaking it. Put the nib in water to halfway up the section (the black bit you hold when writing) and leave it to soak overnight. Put a drop of dish detergent in there too, that will help. If that doesn't do the trick, get hold of some regular household ammonia and make a solution of 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water and try soaking again. Best of luck.

Thanks. I'll try those things. I'm not going to order new nibs until I know I can get this one out!

• 3 months later...

I just got my first! Actually, it is my first 5 (go big or go home). I was reached out to about a week ago by FPN member Jobesmirage that he had a few and was willing to sell if I was interested. By an amazing coincidence, I was thinking THAT MORNING about posting a request to buy one or two, so his message could not have been more timely. They came today (speedy shipping).

From left to right: a deluxe, a red J, a blue SJ, a green LJ, and a black SJ. I have never held one before, so I'm glad for the diversity; I can't wait to see how the different sizes feel in my hands.

Can't wait to put some ink in them, either.

I've been smiling since I opened the box, in anticipation of writing with these tonight!!!

post-132161-0-97921700-1480388576_thumb.jpg

Edited by eharriett

• 3 months later...
This is my first Esterbrook. Like so many of you here on this forum, I didn’t own just one for long. This is also my first vintage fountain pen. I've used fountain pens for a few years but had avoided vintage pens out of a vague fear of things like ink-filled sacs and "mechanisms." Now I've finally gone and done it.

I bought it from Midnight Pens over at Etsy (non-affiliated, happy customer, etc). He prettied it up, got it running nice, and put in a killer 9668 nib that isn’t afraid to bring some ink.

I think this pen is beautiful.

-Greg

fpn_1490041908__copperj2.jpg

This is my first attempt at posting a photo, I hope it's showing up. It and a couple more photos are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SDNtR6d-uiECuFEuTyMyAVWFbHiou-TLG2-L3NQGQ/edit?usp=sharing

I'm new to the forum.

I purchased the green Estie J at an antique shop for $7.50....installed a new sac and WOW! Now I'm hooked on Esties :). Sooo....I purchased the red Estie SJ at an antique mall for $15.00 which is little more than I wanted to pay because it needs a new nib but I like it. I will have a new sac and nib installed early next week.

post-135657-0-79332300-1490374031.jpg

Nice pens at a really nice price! You realize that there are more colors and sizes, right? :D

Yes I do :). I am on the hunt as we speak! I would rather buy from shops as opposed to shopping online. I have very few antique shops in my local area that have vintage fountain pens. I will be in the capitol city in a couple of weeks....fun, fun, fun!! :D

Check MidnightPens on etsy. It's online, but it's the guy you answered, and he can be trusted.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Nice pens at a really nice price! You realize that there are more colors and sizes, right? :D

G - you are an enabler! I can say that you have done some really nice work. Bruce is Panjaro are other enablers. Esties are lovely pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

G - you are an enabler! I can say that you have done some really nice work. Bruce is Panjaro are other enablers. Esties are lovely pens.

heh heh heh B)

• 2 weeks later...

Check MidnightPens on etsy. It's online, but it's the guy you answered, and he can be trusted.

+1. gweimer1 is the man go to man when it comes to restored Esterbrook fountain pens. Pens he offers on his site would cost much more on other sites. When he says he has restored a pen, then that pen has been completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, completely restored, completely reassembled, and is ready to ink and use. corgicoupe is right about this!

(No connection to gweimer1, MidnightPens, or even to etsy.)

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.