• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dalmi, I fully understand the sentiment of "uh oh"... On January 23 I had no Esterbrooks. On January 24 I bought my first one at the Philadelphia pen show and also had a chance to speak with Brian Anderson talking about Esties (an enabler if there ever was one!). As of yesterday I have 8 and I can't stop. Help!

Najeeb

Najeeb

8!! That sounds really good Najeeb!

I think we both need help though.... Let buy another!

I'm too easily persuaded! I'm sure that within 2 weeks I'll have another one...

Najeeb

Finally! The first of the 3 Estie's came in today!!! A green SJ with a 2668 nib.

I am totally in love! I need to get more! It will have to wait till next month though.... After 3 pens and a lot of 6 nibs of of Ebay and some new inks, the pen budget is gone for now.

Look a my new pen!! She is just so stunning!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/Dalmi/20160301_143014_resized_zpsg27tvcku.jpg

Shameless plug...and I have about...50...coming or waiting to get ready.  A few really fun items, too.  I'm currently not shipping internationally, but you can talk to me offline, and we can work something out.

MidnightPens

Look a my new pen!! She is just so stunning!

Yes she is! Gorgeous pen, no question. Well done, Dalmi! :thumbup:

Shameless plug...and I have about...50...coming or waiting to get ready. A few really fun items, too. I'm currently not shipping internationally, but you can talk to me offline, and we can work something out.

MidnightPens

Gary, Gary, Gary, you evil man. Just as I convince myself to stop buying pens for awhile (recent acquisition of an Omas -and- a long-wanted F-C Antique Glass have whopped my budget)....

Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. :crybaby:

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Gary, Gary, Gary, you evil man. Just as I convince myself to stop buying pens for awhile (recent acquisition of an Omas -and- a long-wanted F-C Antique Glass have whopped my budget)....

Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. Must. Stay. True. To. Financial. Plan. :crybaby:

What is this "budget" you speak of?

To paraphrase Desiderius Erasmus...

“When I have a little money, I buy pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”

Thank you PaperQueen!!!

I am still totally in love with her!!!

My 2 other pens are stuck in customs for almost a week now! :crybaby:

I want to play with them too!!! Stupid customs!

I recently won my first Esterbrook, a basic black J with silver color trim, on the bay with a 1551 nib. Now, I'm hooked and looking for other nib options that are less, well, like writing with a 16 penny nail. I'll upload some pictures from my desk as soon as I'm back at home, but what nib options are available? There's so many it's making my head spin.

I recently won my first Esterbrook, a basic black J with silver color trim, on the bay with a 1551 nib. Now, I'm hooked and looking for other nib options that are less, well, like writing with a 16 penny nail. I'll upload some pictures from my desk as soon as I'm back at home, but what nib options are available? There's so many it's making my head spin.

This should help that spinning...

Esterbrook Nib Chart

Finally my other 2 Estie's also came in today.

I am less pleased with these 2 than I am with my green one. Oh well......... Can't have it all.

What I do know now is that I need more J's. So the hunt continues!!!

I am less pleased with these 2 than I am with my green one. Oh well......... Can't have it all.

Yeah, once you get your first Estie, it's like opening a fire hose with no shutoff valve. :)

Yeah, he's a fiend that way (hugs his Phaeton protectively). :D

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

What are you less pleased about? Perhaps it can be remedied.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

What are you less pleased about? Perhaps it can be remedied.

Well, he did not mention certain things in his listings (not Ebay).

They are probably not big deals, but the pens were really expensive, and than to find out about things when they arrive, I would probably have spend my money elsewere. I do not mind to pay more for a restored pen, because I can not do that myself due to bad hands, but I want to know those things about the pens.

The red one has movement in the filling lever.

The blue one has a cap clip that does not touch all the way to the cap. It was bend badly at one time I think. You can see that at the top of the clip and it still has a bendy look.

And it is very "wide" around the filling lever, with what almost looks as disfigurement, in a way that I am to afraid to use it, I am afraid the barrel will crack or break there with use.

Well, he did not mention certain things in his listings (not Ebay).

They are probably not big deals, but the pens were really expensive, and than to find out about things when they arrive, I would probably have spend my money elsewere. I do not mind to pay more for a restored pen, because I can not do that myself due to bad hands, but I want to know those things about the pens.

The red one has movement in the filling lever.

The blue one has a cap clip that does not touch all the way to the cap. It was bend badly at one time I think. You can see that at the top of the clip and it still has a bendy look.

And it is very "wide" around the filling lever, with what almost looks as disfigurement, in a way that I am to afraid to use it, I am afraid the barrel will crack or break there with use.

Oh Dalmi, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like you, my second order (two Esties) was disappointing, due to a less-than-scrupulous seller---in that case, on eBay. Sliding from the thrill of your first pen to heartbreak on the second two is the pits. :crybaby:

Does the venue you purchased through offer a refund or return policy when sellers fail to disclose item flaws? In my case, eBay did, which allowed me to get a full refund (then spend it immediately with more reputable sellers). If so, request the refund soon, to avoid any expiration that might apply.

No reason to hold on to unusable Esterbrooks unless that was your intent---especially if they cost a pretty penny.

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Oh Dalmi, I'm so sorry to hear this. Like you, my second order (two Esties) was disappointing, due to a less-than-scrupulous seller---in that case, on eBay. Sliding from the thrill of your first pen to heartbreak on the second two is the pits. :crybaby:

Does the venue you purchased through offer a refund or return policy when sellers fail to disclose item flaws? In my case, eBay did, which allowed me to get a full refund (then spend it immediately with more reputable sellers). If so, request the refund soon, to avoid any expiration that might apply.

No reason to hold on to unusable Esterbrooks unless that was your intent---especially if they cost a pretty penny.

Well, it is not that they are unusable, but they are flaws in my opinion. Which were not mentioned in anyway.

And it is a seller that is mentioned multiple times on here and has an etsy shop.

I did send him a message, but no reaction what so ever. I think I am going to leave him a bad feedback.

I did send him a message, but no reaction what so ever. I think I am going to leave him a bad feedback.

Give him a few days, in case he's out of town or away for business. Having just returned from two weeks on the road, I can attest to the fact very little of my travel time was spent on checking personal messages.

Sure hope this works out for you....

Hello to everybody.

My first Estie came to me just on occasion. It was a black Esterbrook J Double Jewel with a suprising (as for me particularly) 2048 nib. It was my first vintage pen and first lever-filler. The pen was resacced and the nib wasn't actually wore down, so I was quite suprised to read about scratchy 2048s. The nib is very smooth, but you have to pay much attention for not losing the best angle; otherwise, isn't this a fountain pen feature, which differs a fountain pen from ballpoints having no care about man's penmanship? In fact, I like thinking so. :) (Although my writing is completely awful, being unconsistent and slow, especially in Russian. But I have almost no time to start improving it.)

Sorry for my English if I've made mistakes.

Edited by Chuss92

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, an Estie newby here. I got my first Esterbrook yesterday and wondered about using Parker Quink Black. Is it okay for the sac or do you recommend another black ink? It is a 2550 so I prefer using a darkish ink. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!