The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Eversharp Skyline Demi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gemnah

gemnah

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 00:00

Eversharp Skyline Demi
CIMG5342

First Impressions (10/10) - I was really excited to get this pen, so that probably skews it a little. It was smaller than I had imagined but heavier. The color is very complex due to the aging process of the celluloid...I think it was the doubennet red at some point but it has a beautiful very dark red/brown color now (which is hard to photograph properly). Very sturdy feeling in hand, even for the small size. I have a little soft spot in my heart for vintage things from the 20s to 50s and this pen makes me very happy. smile.gif

Appearance & Design (7/10) - It's 40s style modern...to the point of over the top vintage "modern" style. It's a great look but definitely a statement.

Weight & Dimensions (8/10) - The body of the pen is celluloid so it's sturdy feeling but light. However the cap is metal and definitely adds weight if you post it (which I do). It's balanced and comfortable. I have medium sized woman's hands and this is a good size for me.

Nib & Performance (10/10) - It's a 14K tear drop style eversharp nib and suprise! it's semi flex ! I was really hoping that it might have a bit. There's no size indicated but it writes a smidge smaller than my lamy M nib at neutral pressure. The nib was actually the main reason I bought this pen. Modern 14K nibs (especially flexy ones) are WAAAAY out of my price range right now. It's a very smooth responsive fun writer. I can't stop playing with it. smile.gif
CIMG5350\
well it's probably really a smidge less than semi flex...it takes conscious pressure to get large amounts of line variation. With normal writing pressure variations, it acts more like a stub.

Filling System (8/10) - Lever. The pen was recently reconditioned so it works great.

Cost & Value (10/10) - I bought this from an ebay seller and feel like I got a steal. A recently reconditioned piece of history with a 14K nib and flex? All for less than 40 bucks (with shipping)? Great value. From what I understand, these pens stand the test of time well and are inexpensive as far as vintage pens go.

Conclusion(Final score: 54/60) - Great pen. Great price. It didn't mention it in the listing, but the pen is engraved "TW 12-25-43" and I'm really excited that I get to use the same pen that probably wrote letters to servicemen in WWII, inked thank you cards and journal entries and who knows what else for the last 60+ years.

Edited by gemnah, 21 April 2009 - 00:24.

Sponsored Content

#2 CRB

CRB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 00:11

Thank you for sharing the experience with a review. I've been curious about the Skyline, but haven't seen one up close.

I definitely agree on the coolness factor of holding history in the hand. Imagine all the thoughts the pen has already conveyed.

I hope you get great enjoyment from using it.

Joe

#3 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 21:58

I've got one nearly the same but on the far side of flex-- wet noodle seems too firm a phrase for it-- without losing the smoothness you speak of. They're delightful pens in most respects, but the clip seems a bit of a pocket nibbler.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#4 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 16:37

I now have a couple of Skylines and am very impressed with them! Thanks for the review, you obviously feel the same way as me.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Sponsored Content

|