Noodler's El Lawrence

dandelion

I guess I heard that they maybe changed the formulation on this ink, or that the new versions didn't clog as much, etc.

Is this true, or has someone verified this at all?

I really love this ink, and would buy a bottle in an instant if I knew it wasn't going to be a troublemaker :)

Dave

I'd be interested in hearing this too. It must be the fussiest ink I use, but I love the colour enough to put up with it. Just hope the colour isn't different if they've reformulated.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed44

• Deirdre

• Jared

• dandelion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been using it in my Vanishing Point with F nib for 2 days. It flows well and doesn't dry out when pausing during writing. No nib creep on my pen but the nib on the VP is really small. So far it's behaving like any other ink.

And I may not write with it every day, but compared to any of my other inks, it does seem to dry out and cause my pens to have difficulties starting, almost regardless what pen I use...

Maybe my bottle was way old?

It does have a wicked "sediment" problem...

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

Huh, I've never had trouble with it clogging; my bottles are about 3 years old now.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Huh, I've never had trouble with it clogging; my bottles are about 3 years old now.

Same here. I've been using El' Lawrence for a few years in numerous pens and have never had clogging issues. One of my favorites.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Just filled a Lamy Safari with El Lawrence from the Goulets. I love this ink!! It was worth the wait. Behavior wise, I liken it to BP Black - except that it dries faster. Same nib creep, doesn't dry out (mine started right up after being left uncapped for 3 hours). Color definitely looks greenish- brown in the bottle and very dark on paper. Next ink load, I will dilute 1:1 with distilled water.

- OPG4711

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased this ink from Greenman508 on ebay. I completely agree with the motoroil comment. It's a very nice olive/brown/black. I also detect the odor that other posters have remarked about, but I don't have an issue with it. It does have a certain "clay" smell to it, and I like it. This ink is still relatively new to me, and I've inked a couple of pens with it. I have not noticed any clogging thus far, even if the pen rests for a few days without use. I quite like this ink.

I also found that Noodler's Burma Road Brown from the V-mail series is strikingly similar to El'Lawrence sans odor, and reflects a slightly more golden brown tone. Burma Road Brown is not bulletproof, or eternal, however. I liked this color very much, as well.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Received my bottle from Goulet Pens today and inked my Namiki VP with .9 stub italic ala Richard Binder.

Flows well...nice greenish brown color. Did a waterproof test...great!

At $18 a bottle and $22 shipped it is pretty expensive.

But, definitely worth it! I really like the label with Lawrence himself astride his trusty motorcycle (he was killed on one!) And the Port of Agaba, where he turned back the Turks, who never expected him to come from the desert.

Also on the label: "The Desert Eternal"

Now, how can you not like an ink with such a "Romance" behind it? I can almost hear the music playing......

• 11 months later...

I love this ink: I really like the colour and that is trouble free in my pens.

The label on its bottle is probably my favourite one.

I really like this color, but it seems to dry out more than other inks have in the same pen. If I don't use it for a couple of days it can be difficult to get started. Other than that, it's pretty great.

My Blog: Inkdependence!