The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's El Lawrence

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 13:27

This ink has become one of the few inks I use daily. I saw that there were two other very good reviews of it, but thought one more wouldn't hurt. Besides - the other reviewers have had flow problems, but my experience of this ink (without performing any magic or diluting it) is that the flow is great. In one of my wetter writers - a Pelikan 250 F nib - it is almost too wet. I had read the other reviews before purchasing it and am quite surprised that this ink seems to love to flow so richly. As far as the colour is concerned I'd go for the dirty motoroil description: in some lights green, others green-brown, brown etc. It works very well with highlighters. Reasonably fast drying time and no smear. I use a wet highlighter (R&K Sunflower Yellow in a Lamy Al-star 1.9 mm). One of my top three, I'd say.
Cheers/dandelion

Attached Images

• elLawrence.jpg

Edited by dandelion, 20 April 2009 - 13:38.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Sponsored Content

#2 xmattxyzx

xmattxyzx

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 13:32

QUOTE (dandelion @ Apr 20 2009, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but my experience of this ink (without performing any magic or diluting it) is that the flow is great.

Lucky!

#3 Wwillco

Wwillco

Vagrant Engineer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 13:34

Nice review!
I love this ink; it is always in at least one pen I carry. The only time I've ever had issues with this ink is in very dry writers.
Edison Pearl Custom .7 CI
Pelikan M200 - Binder .7 CI
Namiki VP Black Carbonesque - Binder .9 ItaliFine
Pelikan M200 - Binder Arabic/Hebrew Nib
MontBlanc 149 - M
Sailor Sapporo - EF

#4 dandelion

dandelion

• Member - Gold

• 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 14:02

One thing I forgot to mention is that this ink has the nice smell of clay and earth of a rainy day, which goes very well with the colour.

Edited by dandelion, 20 April 2009 - 14:13.

#5 Mongo

Mongo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 15:02

QUOTE (dandelion @ Apr 20 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides - the other reviewers have had flow problems, but my experience of this ink (without performing any magic or diluting it) is that the flow is great.

I've had the same experience. I picked up a bottle last month, and it's been very well behaved in a number of different pens. I don't know if something's changed or if we're both just lucky, but this is an ink that's given me no trouble at all.

#6 Defacto

Defacto

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 15:16

QUOTE (Mongo @ Apr 20 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dandelion @ Apr 20 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides - the other reviewers have had flow problems, but my experience of this ink (without performing any magic or diluting it) is that the flow is great.

I've had the same experience. I picked up a bottle last month, and it's been very well behaved in a number of different pens. I don't know if something's changed or if we're both just lucky, but this is an ink that's given me no trouble at all.

That makes three of us then.
I had no trouble in any of my pens so far with this wonderful color.
It's quickly becoming a daily used ink for me. thumbup.gif

Nicolet
"I am what I am because of what I have been." (David McCallum)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 16:20

I think of it as used motor oil on army green. It's not a color I normally like, but the ink is well-behaved and goes very well with the color in my Knightsbridge.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#8 youblue9

youblue9

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 13:45

Nice review! I particularly liked seeing the ink in the wide nib -- don't think I've seen that before with this ink. I've wanted this color for a long time, and this review might be the deciding factor that finally makes me purchase it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you (and others who've had no flow issues) purchase this ink?

Edited by youblue9, 22 April 2009 - 14:07.

Posted Image

#9 Jared

Jared

Broad Italics & Stubs

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 14:52

I received a vial of this recently from the Ink Exchange, and have enjoyed writing with it. It has been a difficult starter in my Lamy Safari with a CI Med nib, but once it gets started, it writes wonderfully. The nib creep is incredible--over time it is taking over my entire nib. It seems like it's got a life of its own.

The color is very interesting, but looks far more army green than the "Army Green" that Noodler's bottles. A very dark olive color, which I think your scan represents well (at least on my screen).

#10 dandelion

dandelion

• Member - Gold

• 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 14:55

QUOTE (youblue9 @ Apr 22 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review! I particularly liked seeing the ink in the wide nib -- don't think I've seen that before with this ink. I've wanted this color for a long time, and this review might be the deciding factor that finally makes me purchase it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you (and others who've had no flow issues) purchase this ink?

I purchased it from The Writing Desk in UK which you can find here. Very good and kind service and low shipping rates. It is an amazing colour. It's so nice with a undefinable non-usual colour that suits for everyday writing.

Edited by dandelion, 22 April 2009 - 14:57.

#11 Mongo

Mongo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 19:53

QUOTE (youblue9 @ Apr 22 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got mine from Swisher Pens.

#12 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 20:55

I haven't had any problems with this ink in my MB 146. However, I do make a point of writing with the pen everyday so that it doesn't dry up. I love it because the color is so different from anything I've ever seen before.
"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

#13 xmattxyzx

xmattxyzx

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 21:47

I've mentioned this before but I remember reading something about how the batches at Swisher were newly formulated for better flow. I can't find the post anywhere (maybe it was a dream?) but it seems like no one has had any problems with the newer stuff.

#14 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:12

QUOTE (dandelion @ Apr 20 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I forgot to mention is that this ink has the nice smell of clay and earth of a rainy day, which goes very well with the colour.

Dirty motor oil that smells like soil on a rainy day? That sounds a little weird but intriguing. Not that I need another bottle of ink but something odd like that might be a nice change from my usual rotation.
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#15 sbooth

sbooth

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 21:19

The Old Codger just brought some El Lawrence home for us to try. I adore the colour - which almost fits all the descriptions I've read on the fora but not quite. The Old Codger likened the colour to that of cow poo - which I think is extraordinarily accurate. I did begin to wonder about the ink's origins when I took a hefty sniff of 'countryside' on opening the bottle!

Having fallen in love with the colour (I can definitely see it being a daily user) - I have to find the best ink-pen-paper combination.

My Pelikan M800 with an Oxonian adjusted broad nib writes beautifully with El Lawrence on Clairefontaine paper but is dry and skippy on our cheap-and-cheerful-but-brilliant exercise books which tolerate all other pen/ink combos really well. In a Reform 1745 El Lawrence behaves well on all the paper we've tried but the fine line lessens the beauty of the colour a bit as it's not as visible.

All I need to discover is how it behaves on clinical note paper: if it's good I'll have found the ink I need to use at work biggrin.gif

Sarah (Mrs Old Codger)

#16 Melnicki

Melnicki

M.Melnicki

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:58

i got some recently, and found the flow to be okay (a little thick, but not horrendous) and the color to be very dark. people had suggested adding water.

1/2 X dilution keeps the color essentially the same but improves the flow to the level of AWESOME. still very close to black, but the green shows a little.

1/3 X dilution (1:2 ink:water) makes it undeniably green, but not so light that you can't read it. The flow gets even better.

I've never seen a bulletproof ink with better flow than watered-down EL. no feathering, no spreading, awesome shading, not too wet, not too dry/scratchy. no washed-out pastel look...

Legal Lapis, eat your heart out!!!! I found my perfect ink!!!

Best of all, it's like buying three bottles for the price of one!!!

Edited by Melnicki, 03 June 2009 - 19:59.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)
CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

#17 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 20:08

I actually like it full strength, but you're right -- it's one of the best-flowing bulletproofs out there.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#18 inkcoffee

inkcoffee

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 21:12

melnicki, thanks for the awesome suggestion on this color. right when i got it home today, i filled an international converter with .4ml of water and .2ml of ink and it is great, awesome shading and flow in a medium nibbed pen.
Posted Image

#19 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• 1,401 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 15:16

Can anyone speek to how El Lawrence compares to Burma Road Brown, Stipula's Verde Muschiato, and Herbin's Vert Empire?

From what I've seen of online color swatches (in spite of the annoyingly large number of color variances!) is that El Lawrence has a depth of color like none other.

I really want to get a bottle but have been concerned with the flow issues, but am I right that they seem to have been recently cleared up?

B
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#20 inkstainedwretch

inkstainedwretch

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:33

Same experience with watering El Lawrence as some of the others here:

straight - very thick and almost black, with a moderate flow
1 part ink : 1 part water - more gray with shades of olive green and brown, still quite dark, excellent flow - this is how I like it
1 part ink : 2 parts water - more olive with gray and a little brown - a bit too weak for my taste

Most importantly for my purposes, the ink remains totally waterproof even when diluted. I use distilled water to avoid any possibility of unwanted chemical reactions.

This ink has incredible nib creep and will indeed cover most of the nib in the course of a day or two. But I have never cared about nib creep. A quick wipe takes care of it.

In sum, this is a great ink any way you cut it. No changes please, Mr. Tardif!

Sponsored Content

|