Ok I admit, I like using cartridges

Brian Anderson

Brian, if you really knew your pens you would have instantly recognised a rare and mint vercion of the S. Waterman inlaed nib from the Benz Collektion :bonk:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• Ruaidhri

• PekkaT

• AlejoPlay

Pah. I for one am frowning at all of you who admit to liking cartridges.  You new-fangled types are all the same, trumpeting convenience and personal taste over history and the aged status quo. I for one never use any pen that doesn't fill with an L.E. Waterman patented lever. Everything else is a pale imitation. (Except for that Conklin chap. He's the real deal too.)

L.E. Waterman lever? What are you wasting your time with those foolish levers for. The only way to fill a pen is by pouring the ink into the tube. Anything else if foolish nonsense.

Anything after the Prince's Protean pen is a waste of time. :P

:D :D :D

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Brian, if you really knew your pens you would have instantly recognised a rare and mint vercion of the S. Waterman inlaed nib from the Benz Collektion :bonk:

Oh yeah, it must have slipped my mind. :D

Too funny!

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Pah. I for one am frowning at all of you who admit to liking cartridges. :)  You new-fangled types are all the same, trumpeting convenience and personal taste over history and the aged status quo.  I for one never use any pen that doesn't fill with an L.E. Waterman patented lever.  Everything else is a pale imitation.  (Except for that Conklin chap.  He's the real deal too.)

:) :) :) :D :P

Chalk one up for the pen snobs (whoe'er they be).

I guess I better go back to my cheapo Pentel .5mm mechanical pencil....oops, make that my #2 wood encased left over from 1st grade...now I'm stylin!...now where did that pencil sharpener go?

Fnatasitc Colektion... :roflmho:

Now, you're all wrong.... :D

The perfect pen is a pen that is a piston filler, which can use a standard converter and a cartridge as well, interchangeably...

Now, I wonder whether such a pen exists :lol: :ltcapd:

On a more serious note, I have used c/c pens my whole life from primary school onwards, virtually stopped using fountain pens for about 20-odd years, and only had short excursions into sacced pens and EDs since I found my way back into fountain pens 3 years ago. Guess what: no more sacced pens or EDs for me...

I prefer pens that don't leak at inconvenient times, and I like changing inks often, without throwing away ink. So I use converters most of the time, because I like the filling ritual and the choice of inks, and other than that, piston fillers or big piston converter-c/c pens, preferably modern.

That's me... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive the silly question, but what sort of syringe should I use to refill cartridges?

I have three old Sheaffer cartridge pens that I don't think I want to get converters for, but I wouldn't mind trying the syringe method.

If you know anyone who refills their own inkjet cartridges, the kits usually come with a syringe that's not stupidly sharp ;)

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

If you know anyone who refills their own inkjet cartridges, the kits usually come with a syringe that's not stupidly sharp ;)

Cool. I was wondering if those inkjet cartridge kit syringes work. :)

If you know anyone who refills their own inkjet cartridges, the kits usually come with a syringe that's not stupidly sharp  ;)

Cool. I was wondering if those inkjet cartridge kit syringes work. :)

For those of us who live dangerously, a diabetic syringe, although "stupidly sharp" (I like that phrase! :) ), the needle is tiny and you can control the amount you deposit quite easily.

how easily are diabetic syringes obtained? Can you just get one at a drug store?

(imagining the strange looks I'll get in New York City drug stores walking in asking where the syringes are).

:P

Nothing against converters or even cartridges, in principle. I used nothing but a c/c Waterman Hemisphere for 6 years, and was quite happy. In practice, however, cartridges limit the choice of ink too severely and all too many converters have flow problems, in my experience, so I tend to stay away from them. The ideal pen, for me, is a piston filler with a nib that unscrews e.g., a Pelikan or an Aurora -- good capacity, easy to fill, easy to clean. But that's just me -- whatever floats your nib... :lol:

Viseguy

how easily are diabetic syringes obtained?  Can you just get one at a drug store?

(imagining the strange looks I'll get in New York City drug stores walking in asking where the syringes are).

:P

I didn't need a prescription and found it surprisingly easy to get them (and I live in LA!). I asked my pharmacist, who knows me well, for some and explained briefly what I wanted to use them for. I showed her a couple of my fountain pens. She asked, "how many syringes do you want?" and handed them over. They were 20 cents each and each is good for about 3-4 uses.

I realize that it is not always that easy to get syringes, but if you have a regular pharmacist you stand a better chance.

Laura

cartridge and c/c are very convenient. Unfortunately, the process of buying cartridge is a big pain. I rarely found colors that I like.

Good thing about cartridge is that you can already carry some spare. The capacity of c/c is generally pretty bad. My c/c pens are all pretty wet and one fill last no one then 10 pages. I often have to carry cartridges of the same ink to meetings just to make sure...

In terms of economics, cartridges are not that much more expensive than bottle. What I realized is that, given that all my pens have large nibs, I can never get the last 1/3 ~1/4 of ink of the bottle...

My Sheaffer Balance II cartridges hold more ink than the converter. So I use one of my extra endodontic syringes and fill the carts with my favourite bottled ink.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Ray: How does that write fill kit differ from the Private Reserve Ink Mixing kit? is it the same sort of thing, allowing you the same choices (syringe) or is one totally different from the other?

Also, Yay to all Brooklynites...land of my birth!!

I believe the write fill kit uses syringes with a metal tip and a soft plastic tip, the ink mixing kit uses pipettes.

With a syringe you can measure mililiters or cc's, with a pipette you can go drop by drop.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens