Ok I admit, I like using cartridges

Brian Anderson

I have had at least one very well respected and knowledgeable pen restorer, dealer and guru encourage me strongly to consider a c/c system for a special pen I'm scouting out, over other "traditional" systems.

I used cartridges for a long time and have no real aversion to them other than the more limited colors, etc... The refilling with a syringe is an interesting idea with a good deal of merit - more capacity than the converter and more color choices.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• Ruaidhri

• Blackhill

• chupie

I prefer the c/c system and consider it an evolutionary development in inking systems. It is cleaner, neater and easier to carry ink in the field on those rare occasions that I can actually use a fountain pen on the job. The cartridges cost more, but considering the costs of other office supplies I do not consider that a significant factor.

YMMV

Guest Denis Richard

Even though I almost never use them now --mainly because of colour choice---I've used cartridges for decades. They're definitely the most practical "filling system". I never had any flow issue either.

Sure, all other filling systems have a old-fashion flair that they don't have, but I think the differences are mainly psychological.

In defense of cartridges, they're still cheaper and less wasteful of natural resources than rollerballs!

I don't really use cartridges anymore, though; for one thing, my main two pens are self-fillers, and for another, a $7 jug of Quink lasts a long time and the bottle can be recycled.

I like C/C fillers. I too use the syringe method to fill a cartridge. I like knowing that there is no filling mechanism to wear. It is a clean method that holds enough ink for me. I wouldn't want all my pens to fill by this method, but it certainly doesn't deter me from buying a pen, especially one with a fine or EF nib!

Wow, talk about stirring up the pot. :)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet as a bonus for cartridges is there is no risk of infecting your pen with SITB. I use primarily vintage inks (lots of those larger bottles lying around) and for some reason, I often experience that mold in my bottles. Flush the ink, clean out the bottle, put in more ink, and sooner or later it's back. (I know, I know, different thread alltogether, and I should probably throw out the bottles and ink and stick to known good vintage or new ink).

Anyway.... I remember a year or so ago when Nakaya was THE pen everyone talked about on PT. It blew my mind that this was a cartridge only pen. After all, you're shelling out how much for one of these and you have to use a cartridge? I don't think I would intentionaly buy a pen that wouldn't at the least accept a convertor of some sort, and the Sheaffer touchdown convertor is a very neat one indeed. It brings us back to the good old days. :)

I've also been impressed with the flow capability using a cartridge. For whatever reason I thought flow with them was poor. Not so with my Legacy.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Or maybe I go the other route, and start buying eyedroppers?

There ya go Brian! Now you're thinking! When I first got started with fountain pens, eyedroppers seemed too messy for me, but I quickly found that with some care, they are great pens. My least favorite thing about fp's is running out of ink. Eyedroppers cure this problem, easily. I long tire of the color in trhe pen before it has a chance to run dry.

And on a different note, but related to this thread, my least favorite type of filler is either the lever or the button. It's a tough call.

Chris

Custom Bindes

There ya go Brian! Now you're thinking! When I first got started with fountain pens, eyedroppers seemed too messy for me, but I quickly found that with some care, they are great pens. My least favorite thing about fp's is running out of ink. Eyedroppers cure this problem, easily. I long tire of the color in trhe pen before it has a chance to run dry.

Yeah, I have the same problem with eyedroppers. I don't have one that works properly that's not a rare esterbook (and no, I'm not going to ink up that taper cap mottled HR eyedropper I have :o )

I think I'll get a nice one sometime this year and give a serious try.

Best-

Brian

Anyway....  I remember a year or so ago when Nakaya was THE pen everyone talked about on PT.  It blew my mind that this was a cartridge only pen.  After all, you're shelling out how much for one of these and you have to use a cartridge?  I don't think I would intentionaly buy a pen that wouldn't at the least accept a convertor of some sort,

Both the Nakayas I've owned used Platinum converters, so I wouldn't know about any cartridge only Nakayas.

Dennis B

This certainly did stir up a conversation Brian. Despite my not using cartrides, I've heard on a number of occasions that they are better for ink flow than convertors. Does anyone know why that might be the case?

I quite like cartridge fillers. My favorites are my Sheaffer Imperials. Sheaffer cartridges hold a lot of ink. I use syringes to fill them. I enjoy that I can easily top them up or add a different color before they are empty. I also like being able to see how much ink I have left.

I find them easy to clean and little can go wrong with cartridge pens. I also like Sheaffer's old squeeze filler converters, although they don't fit all Sheaffer pens. (I should know, I have a squeeze filler stuck in a dolphin barrel. Word to the wise: don't use a squeeze filler with an early 60s Imperial or dolphin pen. They may seem like they fit, but they are too tight a fit and they won't come out again.)

Laura

Edited by Blackhill

I'm not going to ink up that taper cap mottled HR eyedropper I have :o )

Best-

Brian

Excuse me talking / asking, but what is an eyedropper?

Does it mean a pen with that translucent part...?

Thanks in advance for answering.

"When you point your finger 'cos your plan fell through

You got three more fingers pointing back at you."

Dire Straits: Solid Rock

...My least favorite thing about fp's is running out of ink...

That's one of my MOST favorite things about fountain pens!! :eureka:

Then I get to make a decision on what ink to put in next...

(Yeah, I'm a phreak..)

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

An eydropper is a fountain pen filled using ... an eydropper. Instead of filling a rubber sack or using a cartidge, the ink is filled directly into the barrel once your unscrew the section form it. Below is an example (taken form isellpens website)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/zorroflores/Plumas%20fuente/walityeyedropper.jpg

Because the ink fills the barrel more ink can be loaded and therefore more time between fillings.

And last, the filling can be sooo relaxing if you enjoy it that it becames some sort of a small ritual (of which this life is so devoid of...)

Edited by zorroflores

I have to say I don't own a eyedropper filler, but I tried to do a "dodgy brothers" job on a sheaffer calligraphy pen - the newish 'quill' types that come in a set of three - after reading about eyedroppers and how they work.

Just for fun - need to get I life I think - I took out the cartridge that came with it and filled the entire barrel with ink. Holds about 3ml of ink compared to about 1ml of ink in the standard cartridge. No leaks if tightened well to the nib section. Writes well with similar flow. Kind of a DIY eyedropper filler maybe?

Works because the section in the Sheaffer has a rubber grip and the barrel has a metal band which helps make a good seal. Problem is 3ml of ink lasts way too long. I get this innate desire to change colours, again - I use it for snail mail. Maybe need to write to more people, more often.... :D

Edited by Bigfella

An eydropper is a fountain pen filled using ... an eydropper.

Oh, I see.

Quite logical, in fact :doh: ;) :)

Thanks, Zorroflores! :)

Edited by PekkaT

"When you point your finger 'cos your plan fell through

You got three more fingers pointing back at you."

Dire Straits: Solid Rock

Only eye dropper I have is a Wality. Very pleased with it (and it's piston filler brother). Very inexpensive pens, but write well, fit the hand well - what more do we need :)

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I personally like cartridges. However, I am slowly adding to my ink collection and find myself using converters more and more. I really like my Cross Century pen with cartridges...the cartridges are small so you can fit 2 in the barrel of the pen so you have a spare. The pens at my desk have converters. My "for the road" pens (2 Cross) have cartidges so if I do run out ink, I have a spare cartridge in there and am back in business.

Pah. I for one am frowning at all of you who admit to liking cartridges. :) You new-fangled types are all the same, trumpeting convenience and personal taste over history and the aged status quo. I for one never use any pen that doesn't fill with an L.E. Waterman patented lever. Everything else is a pale imitation. (Except for that Conklin chap. He's the real deal too.)

:) :) :) :D :P

Chalk one up for the pen snobs (whoe'er they be).

I for one never use any pen that doesn't fill with an L.E. Waterman patented lever.

What's that in your avatar? Never knew L.E. Waterman made an inlaid nib like that. :D :P

Best-

Brian