The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dating a Parker "Big Red"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 19:21

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good website or method for determining the date of a Parker "Big Red"? Currently all I know that they are big and red (well sorta' orange). Thank you in advance.

Best,
Rich

Sponsored Content

#2 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2006 - 20:01

Duofolds do get tricky, especially when you throw in ladies, juniors, deluxe etc...

Start with this site:

http://www.penhero.c...foldFlattop.htm

Good Luck.

philm

#3 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 20:06

Another good site is Tony Fishers Parker.net. Try this page:

Duofolds

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#4 Rich

Rich

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 22:57

philm and John, thank you! Those are both very informative sites and have given me more than enough information.

Best,
Rich

#5 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2006 - 00:24

Rich,

You are welcome. Please post a picture of your Big Red when you get a chance. Some of my favorite pens are old Duofolds. The variants of production over a short time period have always intrigued me. This is often complicated by parts changes after repair, which makes the variations multiply.

:bonk:

philm

#6 acfrery

acfrery

Alejandro

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 00:40

Some time ago I found this article on Duofolds. It is in Portuguese, but I think it is easy to get the general idea. It also contains references. Hope it helps.

Alejandro

Attached Files

#7 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2006 - 00:50

Alejandro,

I have not seen this before.. Thank you so much. Just made its way to my desktop.

philm

#8 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:09

I wish I could help you on this, BUT
My Sheaffers wont let me date a Parker

:roflmho: :roflmho:
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#9 Rich

Rich

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 13:45

Thanks OldGriz, I knew I had to be coming. But if your Sheaffers ever change their mind . . .

Philm, here is my Big Red:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here are my biggest and smallest pens together:

Posted Image

The imprint is fairly worn away, but reads: "Geo.S.Parker Parker Duofold Made In U.S.A.". The nib reads "Parker Duofold Pen P". It doesn's say "Lucky Curve" anywhere on it.

All I can tell is that this is a later version -- after 1928 when the cap band split and as late as 1931 according to the imprint dating in acfrery's portugese document. It seems to be in good shape to my limited experience and writes very well. Compared to my other vintage pens, this has a much stiffer nib, yet smooth, which I enjoy switching to from time-to-time. Also despite its size, it has proven to be very comfortable for extended writing. Currently I have Private Reserve Orange Crush loaded in it, but it's a little too close to the color of the pen and for some reason bothers me; almost like the pen is bleeding when I write with it.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,
Rich

#10 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2006 - 17:53

Thanks Rich -

Great picture and nice example of a great vintage pen and a solid current one.

My guess would be 1928 on the Duofold.

Here is a pic of an earlier Red Hard Rubber on with a 1926ish Junior and later Lady

Posted Image

not quite the quality of your photo (or pen) but rescued from messy starts.

#11 Rich

Rich

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 18:57

Thank you for sharing Philm (and for the compliments too)! It's nice to see the various models in relation to one another -- clearly I have some hunting to do.

I'm always surprised to see how the color of these pens changes in every picture and lighting. They really did make a statement with this color.

Best,
Rich

#12 sonnenblume

sonnenblume

Worst Penmanship

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 20:33

It reminds me of a bigger MontBlanc Hemingway
http://www.fountainp...s/hemingway.jpg

When Parker switched over to 'Permrite'?, basically plastic, was it really more durable than hard rubber?

And do all pens before the switch to plastic contain the lucky curve imprint? Or was it only the very very early pens that had those (before they came out with the JR and Lady)?

EDIT: by the way, can any of you refer me someone who can do a top notch job in restoring these pens?

Edited by sonnenblume, 30 April 2006 - 20:38.

#13 Rich

Rich

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 13:35

Sonnenblume,

I've never handled a hard rubber version, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but my Permanite one seems to be in very good shape for its age. In the histories people cited to earlier, I recall reading about Parker dropping them out of plains, off buildings and apparantly into the Grand Canyon in order to demosntrate their durability.

Fortunately my pen came in good working order so I haven't looked into any repairers that specialize or regularly work on Big Reds. Hopefully someone has a recommendation.

Best,
Rich

#14 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 16:10

hi,

i can reccommend, no particular order, ron zorn at mainstreetpens.com
richard binder at richardspens.com and deb kinney--you can google her and get her web site. i have used all three and have been satisfied with the repairs they have made.

regards, rebecca

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Sponsored Content

|