The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Consumption Item 33: 1950s Vintage Pelikan 400

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Breck

Breck

Why do I ever stray from Bustelo?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:34

If anyone has trouble making out the writing, let me know and I'll transcribe it.

It's hard to believe, but there's no other review of the 400 in the index. However, bdngrd wrote a review of the streamlined 400NN in green stripes here.

I love the tortoise finish, and think I could happily continue to limit my Pelikans to such. My ink budget doesn't lend itself to tracking down rare Pelikans, but I think even if/when my budget is enhanced, it'd be nice to focus on a single color within a single maker's line. For now, that's just cloud talk, though.

Anyway, enjoy, and apologies for my absence of photography skills:

The postscript should read a -0.5 to the Nib/Performance rating, not -1.

Other than that, dusting this pen off and using it for a week before the review was enough to convince me to start using my 3-pen case rather than my 2-pen case for non-pocket pens. I do not like to be without this one. Simply a great pen.

Sponsored Content

#2 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:39

Very nice review, but -- ahem -- where are the photos of the pen?
I want photos of the pen!
Please : )

QM2

#3 Breck

Breck

• Member - Gold

• 1,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:51

Silly me. Here are the shots from the auction. BTW, the seller was penwoffa on eBay. No affiliation, but s/he was very easy to deal with, great communication, good packaging, quick shipping, etc. I think others around here have dealt with him or her as well.

Here are the really good photos:

There's enough light left, maybe I can take a couple of snaps of my own, too.

#4 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 20:56

Whew, anxiety attack over.

Hey, that is a seriously nice pen! The nib is wow, the tortoise material goes perfectly with the gold trim, and even the piston knob is fetching! That is a great find, I am envious! Please give me a holler if you decide to sell it down the line.

Edited by QM2, 13 April 2009 - 20:59.

#5 Breck

Breck

• Member - Gold

• 1,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 21:02

Sell it!? You're crazy. Get your own!

Seriously, though: It seems Rick Propas always has some lying around, but his shop is closed until summer. He'll probably be able to accommodate you when he returns.

#6 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 21:04

QUOTE (Murderface @ Apr 13 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sell it!? You're crazy. Get your own!

Seriously, though: It seems Rick Propas always has some lying around, but his shop is closed until summer. He'll probably be able to accommodate you when he returns.

Yeah, but I want yours!

Okay, sorry -- I get a little bouncy when I am tired : )

Enjoy your pen!
QM2

#7 Breck

Breck

• Member - Gold

• 1,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 22:43

Adding some photos of my own.

Capped, showing brassing:

Posted:

The auction shot of the nib is better than the one I took, but here's a detail of the feed:

#8 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:46

Congrats!
I love those vintage tortoise Pelikans. Having myself an OBB nib I know what you are talking about.

Some of my vintage Pels do have brassing or some discolouration (greenstriped) but so what? The pen is a user pen! If I am buying a 50-60 year old pen off ebay I cannot expect it to look brandnew. Some of them had been purchased only because of the nib and it would be unfair to complain about the used condition of the body. Although I am much more careful with a vintage pen in very nice condition than with one of the user grade pens .... I do have cracked 400NN caps too but the cracks did not increase so your cap might be ok as well.

Anyway, there is at least one vintage Pelikan with medium and one with a broad nib in my daily pen case. Those pens are great daily user pens!

Edit: Some of those nibs do squeak. It is annoying but does not affect the performance of the nib.

Edited by piembi, 14 April 2009 - 11:56.

#9 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:13

The tortoise striations look particularly nice on your photos.

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:13

Thanks for the nice review, and you have a good, easy to read hand. The pen looks completely different in your photos. Thanks for posting them. I love the Pelikan tortoise pattern and I briefly owned a NOS M400 in Tortoise.

Regards,
Hari

Edited by hari317, 14 April 2009 - 12:17.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#11 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 17:10

Thanks for a wonderful review. Your enthusiasms for the pen and the nib really come through, and you illustrated them well with your handwriting and photos.
And Granada ... I haven't been there for almost 20 years. Is it still breathtakingly beautiful, and socially very complex?
ron

#12 Breck

Breck

• Member - Gold

• 1,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 21:33

Grenada-

Beautiful: Check

Complex: Check, most definitely

#13 psycho pen

psycho pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 15:16

Thanks for this review! Very nice pen, I've got the same in green striated, EF nib, and I love it...

Sponsored Content

|