Review of Lamy Vista

sirksael

Sorry for the bad quality of the scans, I couldn't get it any better. Don't judge the Caran d'ache amazon green by these pictures, rather look it up in the ink reviews section, it's actually a very lovely ink.

post-29109-1239575921_thumb.jpg

post-29109-1239575931_thumb.jpg

post-29109-1239576147_thumb.jpg

post-29109-1239576153_thumb.jpg

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WirlWind

• Federalist Pens

• pcolbeck

• mucephei

Great Review!

Lamy safari is a must in the workhorse arsenal!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I've just realised that the Vista retains the ink window found on its opaque brethren. This is a completely superfluous feature for a demonstrator pen. It is a pity in a way, because it shows up the Vista as just a Safari with no clothes on. I realise that the cost of re-tooling the Vista production line to remove the ink window would be uneconomic for Lamy, but really? Ho hum.

Still a nice pen, though. I'm not big on demonstrators but I can see the appeal. I daresay I'll get one eventually.

Thanks for the review.

But surely a demonstrator should be the same as the normal pen but clear ? If they removed the ink window it wouldn't be the same.

I just received my Vista a few days ago and finally inked it tonight. If I were to write a review, it would be near identical to the one above. The only thing I would add is a section on build quality which I would rate as very good. On mine, there are a few hairline scratches marks no doubt from the manufacturing process. It would be expected in a mass-produced, inexpensive pen and does not take away from the appearance nor the clarity of the pen. In short, I'd delighted with the way it feels and writes. Mine is a M nib and is super smooth.

Retooling costs aside, the ink window must stay IMO as it's a distinguishing feature of the Classic Safari. I, too, am not a big fan of multi-hundred dollar demonstrators (although it would be cool to have Snorkel one) but couldn't resist this one for the price. The red knob on the converter is a really nice touch. It's my first Lamy but it'll just be a matter of time before I get another.

Highly recommended.

I like the window too- it's a nice detail and breaks up the monotony of the barrel (which is just a cylinder, after all)

Also, unlike normal demonstrators, you don't have to worry too much about staining on this one- just get a new converter and the stains are gone.

Just got my Vista today, did a few test scribbles, and I agree that it feels like a sturdy, well-made pen. Can't wait for it to go into rotation (and prolonged use).

Edited by eilu

Dropbox online file storage

Using my referral link gives us both 500MB more free space

Consider signing up and helping me out.

• 3 years later...

I like the window too- it's a nice detail and breaks up the monotony of the barrel (which is just a cylinder, after all)

Also, unlike normal demonstrators, you don't have to worry too much about staining on this one- just get a new converter and the stains are gone.

Just got my Vista today, did a few test scribbles, and I agree that it feels like a sturdy, well-made pen. Can't wait for it to go into rotation (and prolonged use).

Hi, I'm just wondering -- I'm from the Philippines as well. Where were you able to find your Vista and around how much do they cost? I don't think I've seen any around here yet.

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

• 1 year later...

I just got one myself (With LH nib) and I've just thrown in the cart of Lamy blue that came with it.

On CF paper, I was immediately amazed. I'm an underwriter (but also can sidewrite / hook if I'm trying for speed) and I think it's the smoothest nib I have out of anything so far (I have a medium 14k parker 51, 14k inlaid sheaffer fine/medium on an Imperial IV and a few misc Jinhao pens. I also have a Waterman Expert II on the way).

The only thing that gave me pause so far is the slit of the nib. I've read that "LH" nibs tend to be slightly oblique on the right tine (or was it left? I'm pretty sure right is right). But all the threads and images I've seen so far have said otherwise.

My nib is actually cut slightly off center (so the left tine is larger and the right is a bit smaller) starting all the way back at the breather hole. I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why my LH nib seems to be the only one that seems to actually be a LH nib. Also, I thought they made it oblique by slightly grinding the iridium tipping on the left tine, rather than just cutting it crooked.

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

I just got one myself (With LH nib) and I've just thrown in the cart of Lamy blue that came with it.

On CF paper, I was immediately amazed. I'm an underwriter (but also can sidewrite / hook if I'm trying for speed) and I think it's the smoothest nib I have out of anything so far (I have a medium 14k parker 51, 14k inlaid sheaffer fine/medium on an Imperial IV and a few misc Jinhao pens. I also have a Waterman Expert II on the way).

The only thing that gave me pause so far is the slit of the nib. I've read that "LH" nibs tend to be slightly oblique on the right tine (or was it left? I'm pretty sure right is right). But all the threads and images I've seen so far have said otherwise.

My nib is actually cut slightly off center (so the left tine is larger and the right is a bit smaller) starting all the way back at the breather hole. I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why my LH nib seems to be the only one that seems to actually be a LH nib. Also, I thought they made it oblique by slightly grinding the iridium tipping on the left tine, rather than just cutting it crooked.

Sometimes they are just cut a bit off-center...I have noticed it on a few pens. But it usually doesn't affect the performance -- as in your case.

In other words, if it writes well, just enjoy it!

Sometimes they are just cut a bit off-center...I have noticed it on a few pens. But it usually doesn't affect the performance -- as in your case.

In other words, if it writes well, just enjoy it!

Certainly no complaints here, just curiosity.

This pen has actually gotten me excited for my next class + taking notes :D

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour