The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review of Lamy Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sirksael

sirksael

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2009 - 22:43

Sorry for the bad quality of the scans, I couldn't get it any better. Don't judge the Caran d'ache amazon green by these pictures, rather look it up in the ink reviews section, it's actually a very lovely ink.

lamy_vista_1_800.jpg

lamy_vista_2_800.jpg

DSCN0343_800.jpg

DSCN0344_800.jpg
Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Sponsored Content

#2 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:36

Great Review!

Lamy safari is a must in the workhorse arsenal!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#3 mucephei

mucephei

Pilot Pen Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2009 - 19:27

I've just realised that the Vista retains the ink window found on its opaque brethren. This is a completely superfluous feature for a demonstrator pen. It is a pity in a way, because it shows up the Vista as just a Safari with no clothes on. I realise that the cost of re-tooling the Vista production line to remove the ink window would be uneconomic for Lamy, but really? Ho hum.

Still a nice pen, though. I'm not big on demonstrators but I can see the appeal. I daresay I'll get one eventually.

Thanks for the review.

#4 pcolbeck

pcolbeck

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 21:11

But surely a demonstrator should be the same as the normal pen but clear ? If they removed the ink window it wouldn't be the same.

#5 biotdi

biotdi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:11

I just received my Vista a few days ago and finally inked it tonight. If I were to write a review, it would be near identical to the one above. The only thing I would add is a section on build quality which I would rate as very good. On mine, there are a few hairline scratches marks no doubt from the manufacturing process. It would be expected in a mass-produced, inexpensive pen and does not take away from the appearance nor the clarity of the pen. In short, I'd delighted with the way it feels and writes. Mine is a M nib and is super smooth.

Retooling costs aside, the ink window must stay IMO as it's a distinguishing feature of the Classic Safari. I, too, am not a big fan of multi-hundred dollar demonstrators (although it would be cool to have Snorkel one) but couldn't resist this one for the price. The red knob on the converter is a really nice touch. It's my first Lamy but it'll just be a matter of time before I get another.

Highly recommended.

#6 eilu

eilu

Evil Genius

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 13:23

I like the window too- it's a nice detail and breaks up the monotony of the barrel (which is just a cylinder, after all)
Also, unlike normal demonstrators, you don't have to worry too much about staining on this one- just get a new converter and the stains are gone.

Just got my Vista today, did a few test scribbles, and I agree that it feels like a sturdy, well-made pen. Can't wait for it to go into rotation (and prolonged use).

Edited by eilu, 17 April 2009 - 13:24.

Dropbox online file storage
Using my referral link gives us both 500MB more free space
Consider signing up and helping me out.

#7 czanguine

czanguine

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:38

I like the window too- it's a nice detail and breaks up the monotony of the barrel (which is just a cylinder, after all)
Also, unlike normal demonstrators, you don't have to worry too much about staining on this one- just get a new converter and the stains are gone.

Just got my Vista today, did a few test scribbles, and I agree that it feels like a sturdy, well-made pen. Can't wait for it to go into rotation (and prolonged use).

Hi, I'm just wondering -- I'm from the Philippines as well. Where were you able to find your Vista and around how much do they cost? I don't think I've seen any around here yet.
I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

#8 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:43

I just got one myself (With LH nib) and I've just thrown in the cart of Lamy blue that came with it.

On CF paper, I was immediately amazed. I'm an underwriter (but also can sidewrite / hook if I'm trying for speed) and I think it's the smoothest nib I have out of anything so far (I have a medium 14k parker 51, 14k inlaid sheaffer fine/medium on an Imperial IV and a few misc Jinhao pens. I also have a Waterman Expert II on the way).

The only thing that gave me pause so far is the slit of the nib. I've read that "LH" nibs tend to be slightly oblique on the right tine (or was it left? I'm pretty sure right is right). But all the threads and images I've seen so far have said otherwise. 

My nib is actually cut slightly off center (so the left tine is larger and the right is a bit smaller) starting all the way back at the breather hole. I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why my LH nib seems to be the only one that seems to actually be a LH nib. Also, I thought they made it oblique by slightly grinding the iridium tipping on the left tine, rather than just cutting it crooked.

Do, or do not. There is no try  - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

#9 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:26

I just got one myself (With LH nib) and I've just thrown in the cart of Lamy blue that came with it.

On CF paper, I was immediately amazed. I'm an underwriter (but also can sidewrite / hook if I'm trying for speed) and I think it's the smoothest nib I have out of anything so far (I have a medium 14k parker 51, 14k inlaid sheaffer fine/medium on an Imperial IV and a few misc Jinhao pens. I also have a Waterman Expert II on the way).

The only thing that gave me pause so far is the slit of the nib. I've read that "LH" nibs tend to be slightly oblique on the right tine (or was it left? I'm pretty sure right is right). But all the threads and images I've seen so far have said otherwise. 

My nib is actually cut slightly off center (so the left tine is larger and the right is a bit smaller) starting all the way back at the breather hole. I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious why my LH nib seems to be the only one that seems to actually be a LH nib. Also, I thought they made it oblique by slightly grinding the iridium tipping on the left tine, rather than just cutting it crooked.

Sometimes they are just cut a bit off-center...I have noticed it on a few pens. But it usually doesn't affect the performance -- as in your case.

In other words, if it writes well, just enjoy it!

#10 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:45

Sometimes they are just cut a bit off-center...I have noticed it on a few pens. But it usually doesn't affect the performance -- as in your case.

In other words, if it writes well, just enjoy it!

Certainly no complaints here, just curiosity.

This pen has actually gotten me excited for my next class + taking notes :D

Do, or do not. There is no try  - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

Sponsored Content

|