Lamy Safari Extra Fine or Fine Nib?

zigggy

I just got my lamy safari matt Charcoal extra fine nib.

Writes just buttery smooth and no skipping!

very wet too!

I only wish it was finner, the line widt is 0.40mm, just the widt of my parker IM (my parker 45 has 0.45 mm lw and my pilot fine has a 0.25mm lw). But I think I can survive this armagedon!

recomend it for genneral use, note taking, genneral school/college, math/physics/chemistry formulas writing, and drawing!

My best regards,

Juliano C. G.

Email

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• Doug Add

• zigggy

• mshepp3

My Lamy Safari has a EF nib and I love it.

+1

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I bought a Lamy Safari with a M nib during Christmas and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I noticed that it was actually a fine nib. I had a hard time believing that the nib was fine, it seemed like a medium to me until I looked at the writing on the nib. Next Safari I get will probably be EF

I am like others on this topic I wish the EF was a EEF

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

+1

Wow, glad you all got good ones. I've had two Safaris, one F and the other EF, and both were unbearably scratchy.

Wow, glad you all got good ones. I've had two Safaris, one F and the other EF, and both were unbearably scratchy.

Sorry to hear that. All three of mine have been stunning.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I have a sample of 4 basically, but my 3 F lamy steel nibs (2 safaris and a studio) are reasonable to very good writers, and my 1 xf (safari) is scratchy and no amount of messing with it has made it better.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

My Safari EF was also noticeably scratchy. I just swapped the nib out for a 1.1mm and that is writing much better.

I also have to join the scratchy crowd. My extra fine was just to scratchy for me and I did not like writing with it. I use a Medium now which is pretty amazing. Maybe I just got a bad one?

A TWSBI 580 extra fine would also be a good choice for a student. It holds a ton of ink.

I have safaris in EF and F and used to own a M. I use my fountain pens daily for detailed notes, I find the EF accomodates my small handwriting nicely but the only issue I have with it is sometimes it can dry a bit quicker and also it has trouble keeping up with my signature. No such troubles with the F which lays don a pretty thin line (def in comparison to the M IMO) My advice is to actually walk into a pen store and try out the EF in your style of writing. Good Luck

Just to complicate things a little bit. I have Safari in F and it writes the normal "German fine" line, little bit on the dry-ish side. Yesterday my new AL-star Ruby with an EF-nib arrived. I immediately tested it and found out that, with the same ink and paper, the line is basically the same as my Safari F. (If not a wee bit wider!) The nib is quite smooth and wetter than the Safari. Note that the nibs are the same/interchangeable between Safari and AL-star. Now go and figure :hmm1:

'Doug Add' Good choice. I recently traded a M Safari nib for a F...-p2p to Doug, Glad to see your post.. you hold exactly the info I'm seeking.. -the difference between the medium Safari and fine is??? do you have the same smooth flow, but able to get more defined characters in the same line space?-also, you purchased a whole new Safari to get the fine nib? nibs can't be swapped out like an estie, correct? My lamy is from a local stationer-not even sure if they're still in business.. the cost to send in to Lamy for nib swap, surely would make new pen with fine nib cost effective???Thanks:) p2p
Lamy nib swaps are easy squeezy....I just swapped out the fine on my Al Star for a 1.1 mm italic nib. Goulet pens has the nibs themselves for $13.00 US. If you buy direct from Lamy it comes with the section pre-installed and you just replace the old one. ($25 US) It takes less than a minute either way. (actually cleaning the pen takes longer)

I wanted to explore the "wider than medium" nib spectrum - figured springing for the nib was an inexpensive way to do that. I have two other fines, so even if I leave the 1.1 mm installed it isn't a big deal.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

+1

I've got an EF since one month, very smooth, like it.

Pilot Capless/VP Fermo F ; Aurora 88 F ; Mont Blanc Noblesse slim F ; Lamy Vista clear EF // Waiting for : TWSBI 580 EF

My Ef Safari writes like a Fine. If you really want a fine line try the Pilot 78g or Prera.

Edited by kronos77

I've tried Lamy M, B, EF and 1.1 nibs and come back to M as they are just right for me!

I have purchased two Lamy pens with EF nibs (a Safari and a Studio, which use the same nibs), and both of them have been very, very smooth. Neither is the finest of fine lines, but they do well enough. (They're pretty comparable to my Parker 45 F.)

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

At least one UK retailer is reporting that Lamy has discontinued the fitting of the EF nib to Safaris, Al-Stars, Logo etc.

The EF nib is still available on its own but you now have to buy the pen as an F or M nib and do the swap yourself. :rolleyes:

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

If you like the line on, say a Pilot Fine, then go with the EF on the Lamy. I had a Pelikan M400 a while back with Fine nib and it was like an Asian Broad. I now own a Pellie M600 with EF and I love it!!! My two cents.

Edited by Edwaroth

Unfortunately I think much of it is the luck of the draw. I had an EF Safari that was really smooth--smoother than my F Safari. But when I got another EF, it was quite scratchy.