The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Pilot E with music nib

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh R

Leigh R

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:58

I jumped on this when I saw it on Stan's email list. It's my first Pilot E.

Posted Image

The brushed golden finish of the cap contrasts sharply with the bright, mirrorlike golden sheen of the clip. The clip itself isn't flat, but protrudes from the side, and in profile looks like the really long leg of a Rockette. :)

Posted Image

This was my first time to encounter such a filler. It has a small plastic(?) rubber(?) lever at the bottom. I thought it could be a cover (like those that come with the Capless) so I tried pulling it out. WRONG. The sac inside stretched and screamed, so I hurriedly released my hold and spent a few minutes reassuring my new pen that I would never do that again.

Posted Image

The nib is a fingernail-type nib, just like the ones on my Pilot Elites. It has two slits. And it flexes out a bit, so a downstroke can be slightly wider.

Posted Image

I'm sure this hole is there for some reason.

Posted Image

And finally, a writing sample! The Pilot E music nib lays down a sharper line than the Pilot Custom 74 equivalent. It also has thinner horizontal strokes. It has a little more "bite" when dragged across paper. It is also choosy with ink - this sample uses Cross black, but I got horrid feathering with black Quink (the version with Solv-x).

Posted Image

In comparison, a writing sample from the Pilot Custom 74 music nib. There is a tad less line variation with this compared to the Pilot E, and the edges feel rounder.

:meow:

Sponsored Content

#2 heidi

heidi

line variation = heaven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:49

wow! love the writing sample, leigh! :)

#3 Leigh R

Leigh R

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 23:43

Thank you, Heidi! :)

#4 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:35

My Pilot 74 nib is as sharp as the Sailor's and also flexes a bit.
My Platinum music nib does not flex at all.
All 3 are so smooth...like butter on a hot stove.

Love your handwriting!
Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:12

Nice review and pen - thanks for sharing.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 Leigh R

Leigh R

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 13:11

Glad you liked the review, guys! :-)

#7 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:32

Hi,

Pretty!! Nice nib!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#8 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:41

Excellent hand, Leigh. Now I see that it would make sense to add a Pilot 74 to my tiny collection.

Sponsored Content

|