Famous people's pens

SweetieStarr

Che Guevara seems to have always had a Parker 51 in his pocket. This picture is one of the clearer ones showing the iconic Parker clip

A Parker fountain pen is also described as being among his (looted) personal effects when he was captured and executed. The pen, if it still exists, will now be in the hands of some Bolivian soldier, or his antecedent. Unlike el che's wristwatch, which was kept as a trophy, and worn for many years by the CIA agent present when he died.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• Freddy

• peterg

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do know that the very famous cricketer Max Walker uses a Mont Blanc Boheme and has written some 30 or so books with it on the

other hand I also know that he has a

particular liking for a Gold Dragon of Jinhao manufacture.oneill

Edited by oneill

• 1 month later...

Ty Cobb wrote for years with a Parker 51. He preferred green ink. I stumbled across this from his grand-daughter, writing on a baseball history Facebook site. Will look for a link. The original post had a picture of a letter from Cobb to Babe Ruth about 1946 or '47.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

A Parker fountain pen is also described as being among his (looted) personal effects when he was captured and executed. The pen, if it still exists, will now be in the hands of some Bolivian soldier, or his antecedent. Unlike el che's wristwatch, which was kept as a trophy, and worn for many years by the CIA agent present when he died.

Now I know why he lost his life and the war, he was a dreamer, the Parker 51 seems completely unapropiated for a guerrilla war. Btw he should had never return to Havana after the El congo fiasco, he should had stayed in Paris among Barthes and Foucault, teach in the Sorbone, write with his 51 in Le Monde, or le Figaro, or Paris Match, he was skilfull in French language but........

Edited by penrivers

Ty Cobb wrote for years with a Parker 51. He preferred green ink. I stumbled across this from his grand-daughter, writing on a baseball history Facebook site. Will look for a link. The original post had a picture of a letter from Cobb to Babe Ruth about 1946 or '47.

Speaking of the Babe, I wonder what his pen of choice happened to be?

Speaking of the Babe, I wonder what his pen of choice happened to be?

I don't know about Babe Ruth, but my guess is that Bob Feller had a Parker Vacumatic in 1938, when he autographed a baseball for a motor-cycle policeman who had helped to measure a Feller fastball, shown in this YouTube. About 2:15 mark, Feller takes a twist-cap fountain pen put of his pocket. The camera shows a closeup of Feller's signature -- and the nib -- about 2:18. Looks like the nib on a Vacumatic, but it's not a perfect picture.

See

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Very cool, Welch! Thanks for sharing.

I like the little flex flourish "r" at the end of Bob's signature.

And the speed test, while somewhat crude by today's standards, certainly got the point across that Feller was entitled to his nickname, Rapid Robert.

Winston Churchill used an Onoto, I was approached this summer to supply one, for a film about him with Brian Cox playing the part of Churchill. Part of the filming the filming took place in Edinburgh,Scotland (my home town), perhaps the reason to approach me to supply their prop.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

"My 'Swan' pen is an inestimable boon to me. I wrote every word of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' with it..." Baroness D'Orczy.

Not sure if this is the actual pen she was talking about:

AS3WWzQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Winston Churchill used an Onoto, I was approached this summer to supply one, for a film about him with Brian Cox playing the part of Churchill. Part of the filming the filming took place in Edinburgh,Scotland (my home town), perhaps the reason to approach me to supply their prop.

Brian Cox is great! When the movie is released, I'll look for your Onoto, as well. A Magna?

He will be ideal as Churchill

I have the pen that belonged to this man, he painted commercially all over Europe and did some of the posters for US War Bonds

Is it "Bagdatopulos"? Not sure I'm reading that right.

I stumbled across this thread. Charles Schultz used Esterbrook 314 nibs to draw Peanuts. When Esterbrook discontinued them, he bought their entire stock.

https://schulzmuseum.org/collections/pen/

While not particularly famous, I found a Sheaffer Statesman that belonged to someone in my family tree, and the name is engraved on it.

• 1 year later...

Thomas Mann: Osmia and Montblanc (unspecified)

Klaus Mann: Waterman (unspecified)

Martin Heidegger: Pelikan 400

Albert Einstein: Pelikan 100N, also Waterman (unspecified)

Edited by rjz

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

The famous Ron Jeremy uses a Sharpie to sign autographs for the women that he meets at the various conventions that he travels to throughout the United States, Canada and Europe. I own a few bottles of Ron Jeremy's own rum (Ron De Jeremy Rum) that he personally signed with a Sharpie.

During the war his preferred instrument was a Conway Stewart stylo. Conway's had to produce them specially for him as they had been discontinued.

During the war his preferred instrument was a Conway Stewart stylo. Conway's had to produce them specially for him as they had been discontinued.

There is a letter from Churchill dated 1915 saying to his wife, 'please send me a replacement Onoto as I have foolishly lost mine' - or words to that effect. Onoto made use of this comment during the 1950s in their newsletters, therefore planting the idea that the Onoto was used in WW2.

A few more persons:

Margaret Atwood: Lamy (unspecified)

Georges Pompidou: Waterman LeMans

Wladimir Putin: Montblanc (unspecified, but photographs suggest a 144)

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

• 7 months later...