The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Famous people's pens

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#221 InkingBishop

InkingBishop

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 15:53

Che Guevara seems to have always had a Parker 51 in his pocket. This picture is one of the clearer ones showing the iconic Parker clip

A Parker fountain pen is also described as being among his (looted) personal effects when he was captured and executed. The pen, if it still exists, will now be in the hands of some Bolivian soldier, or his antecedent. Unlike el che's wristwatch, which was kept as a trophy, and worn for many years by the CIA agent present when he died.

Sponsored Content

#222 AD64

AD64

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 18:40

I use a Parker 45.

:lticaptd:

Clearly you are among the famous!

#223 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:30

I do know that the very famous cricketer Max Walker uses a Mont Blanc Boheme and has written some 30 or so books with it on the
other hand I also know that he has a
particular liking for a Gold Dragon of Jinhao manufacture.oneill

Edited by oneill, 30 May 2016 - 08:30.

#224 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2016 - 22:03

Ty Cobb wrote for years with a Parker 51. He preferred green ink. I stumbled across this from his grand-daughter, writing on a baseball history Facebook site. Will look for a link. The original post had a picture of a letter from Cobb to Babe Ruth about 1946 or '47.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#225 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 23:56

A Parker fountain pen is also described as being among his (looted) personal effects when he was captured and executed. The pen, if it still exists, will now be in the hands of some Bolivian soldier, or his antecedent. Unlike el che's wristwatch, which was kept as a trophy, and worn for many years by the CIA agent present when he died.

Now I know why he lost his life and the war, he was a dreamer, the Parker 51 seems completely unapropiated for a guerrilla war. Btw he should had never return to Havana after the El congo fiasco, he should had stayed in Paris among Barthes and Foucault, teach in the Sorbone, write with his 51 in Le Monde, or le Figaro, or Paris Match, he was skilfull in French language but........

Edited by penrivers, 25 July 2016 - 00:00.

#226 furious

furious

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2016 - 00:34

Ty Cobb wrote for years with a Parker 51. He preferred green ink. I stumbled across this from his grand-daughter, writing on a baseball history Facebook site. Will look for a link. The original post had a picture of a letter from Cobb to Babe Ruth about 1946 or '47.

Speaking of the Babe, I wonder what his pen of choice happened to be?

#227 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• 3,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2016 - 00:45

Speaking of the Babe, I wonder what his pen of choice happened to be?

I don't know about Babe Ruth, but my guess is that Bob Feller had a Parker Vacumatic in 1938, when he autographed a baseball for a motor-cycle policeman who had helped to measure a Feller fastball, shown in this YouTube. About 2:15 mark, Feller takes a twist-cap fountain pen put of his pocket. The camera shows a closeup of Feller's signature -- and the nib -- about 2:18. Looks like the nib on a Vacumatic, but it's not a perfect picture.

See 

#228 furious

furious

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:49

Very cool, Welch! Thanks for sharing.

I like the little flex flourish "r" at the end of Bob's signature.

And the speed test, while somewhat crude by today's standards, certainly got the point across that Feller was entitled to his nickname, Rapid Robert.

#229 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,669 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:43

Winston Churchill used an Onoto, I was approached this summer to supply one, for a film about him with Brian Cox playing the part of Churchill. Part  of the filming the filming took place in Edinburgh,Scotland (my home town),  perhaps the reason to approach me to supply their prop.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)
http://eckiethump.webs.com/
http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#230 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 21:53

"My 'Swan' pen is an inestimable boon to me. I wrote every word of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' with it..." Baroness D'Orczy.

Not sure if this is the actual pen she was talking about:

AS3WWzQ.jpg

#231 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• 3,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2016 - 21:39

Winston Churchill used an Onoto, I was approached this summer to supply one, for a film about him with Brian Cox playing the part of Churchill. Part  of the filming the filming took place in Edinburgh,Scotland (my home town),  perhaps the reason to approach me to supply their prop.

Brian Cox is great! When the movie is released, I'll look for your Onoto, as well. A Magna?

#232 Kenlowe

Kenlowe

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 16:52

He will be ideal as Churchill

I have the pen that belonged to this man, he painted commercially all over Europe and did some of the posters for US War Bonds

#233 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• 3,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:20

Is it "Bagdatopulos"? Not sure I'm reading that right. 

#234 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,802 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 16:12

I stumbled across this thread.  Charles Schultz used Esterbrook 314 nibs to draw Peanuts.  When Esterbrook discontinued them, he bought their entire stock.

https://schulzmuseum...ollections/pen/

While not particularly famous, I found a Sheaffer Statesman that belonged to someone in my family tree, and the name is engraved on it.

Sponsored Content

|