Another Parker is on the way

HesNot

Of the 9 pens, great and small, that I use with regularity 7 of them are Parkers.

The most recent one is on it's way, this time a red 21. I'd wanted a red pen and, despite Richards good luck to have a MKIII rage red and even rarer prototype red pen he posted a week or so ago, well, a 21 is really for me the only option since a 61 is a bit out of the current budget. I have intended this to be a daily user like the rest of my pens, and is for the time being slotted to be another pen loaded with Noodlers eternal black (in addition to my Vector stainless - which is a great little daily user but a little on the dry side at times).

My other 21 is a black model with a big wet broad (it almost looks like a left oblique) nib that I'm thinking seriously about sending to Richard or someone to make into a stub. Lots and lots of tipping material on that pen! While the differences between the 21 and my two "51"s are certainly there, the 21 is a bit underrated it appears and the one I currently have is a really nice writer.

So, the current lineup of Parkers is:

Reflex (black) with a fine italic nib

Vector (stainless) fine

21 (black) broad

21* (red) medium

Duofold (green striped) medium

"51" aero (burgundy) fine

"51" flighter medium/fine

I think it's time to add either a red striped duofold (very underrated pens) or another "51" but a vac this time, ideally in cedar blue.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• Ruaidhri

• JimStrutton

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven Parkers, can't be bad :)

I must admit that Cedar Blue seems to be a very popular colour for the "51" vac, in combination with a Silver cap it is very smart, having said that with a gold filled cap it looks good too.

Like to hear about how the new 21 writes once you get it, see how the medium nib compares. My ideal combination is two "51"s, one with a medium and another with a fine, perfect combination for me.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Jim - I've noted that our tastes seem to frequently align (IIRC you're not overwhelmed by Pelikans either...) :)

I agree with the fine/medium combination, and as such, I have no rational reasons for another pen, as my two "51"s currently fit that bill. Oddly, if my fine "51" was black instead of burgundy I might not keep collecting .... oh who am I kidding! ;) The 21's are an oddball in the mix. My black 21 was a gift and the nib is quite nice (and hard to find in a "51") - the red is a difficult color in a "51" - but overall decent lustralloy "51"s can be found for very little more and they are overall a better pen.

I'll let you know how it writes compared to my other pens. The nib has been smoothed by Richard, a luxury I have not indulged on any of my other pens, so I'm axious to give it a spin...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Don't know what it is but the only red pen I can cope with is the Big Red. Haven't any other reds, and probably wont.

Sheila (SWMBO) has a few burgandy Parkers - Parkette, Duofold, Slimline & loves them.

I can't get my head around bright red - although I can admire other peoples' :(

I've recently picked up a 21 (mainly to fill a gap in a series) and found it a lovely writer. That to my mind is the real test, and a highly subjective one at that.

That's that off my chest :rolleyes:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Ruaidri - I have only dipped my foot into the red pen world recently with a red Esterbrook J. I have a burgundy "51" that is a mainstay in the pocket - that pen is a very deep burgundy, not bright at all. We'll have to see how the brighter 21 hits me!

And my broad nibbed 21 found it's way into my pocket today and received some solid use - I agree that it really only matters how it writes for the user.