The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Duke D10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Teaos

Teaos

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:00

Writing is a bit bigger. Is it still hard to read?

Enjoy!

I wrote Appearance/Design and Conclusion last, and as you can see I tweaked my nib in the middle of writing Conclusion as the ink flow was too dry.

The box the pen came in:

Nib and cap:

Hope you enjoyed the review!

Regards,

Jeremy

Edited by Teaos, 04 April 2009 - 10:31.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:58

thanx for the review, Jeremy!

i've been so into my vintage that i've neglected my dukes. i have the D4 and D5 (dream world) that i like so much. i agree with your description on the nib, but only on my D4. the D5, Dream World, is one of my smoothest steel (GP) nibs.

i think it's time i take them out for a "write"!!

thanx again for the review and enjoy!!!

#3 dayonfire

dayonfire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 18:37

I'm a fountain pen enthusiast (natch'), so please forgive me...but what do you mean exactly by "tweaking the nib?" Is that something that should only be done by a professional?

I have a Duke D2/Silver Rings/?...(not sure how many names it has) coming in the mail. Very excited.

Michael
www.thedayonfire.com

#4 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 17:37

I'm curious about the "tweaking" as well. My Duke D59 Copper Temple pen has what I would call flow issues as well. There always seems to be a bit of leakage along the vein making it rather untidy looking (although I am able to keep from getting it on anything). I regularly invert the pen and wipe it off with a tissue to keep it from permanently damaging the finish. I wouldn't say the pen writes too wonderfully, but when I've topped off the reservoir it does alright. It does skip periodically, and then quite a lot when the ink is getting low, which happens all too frequently with the small reservoir it has. I also have noticed that the feed seems to have a breather hole where it connects to the section. Is this normal? When you bleed the air out of the reservoir while filling it, it tends to bubble from the base of the feed (did I mention this is a "side squeeze" permanent bladder reservoir?). I'd love to know if there's a way to improve the pen's performance.

Thanks.

#5 Motomo

Motomo

Eclectic Tastes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2009 - 18:27

I have a Duke D10 that I have had for a few months it is a fantastic writer. I also second the mention by lovemy51 of the "Dream World" pen I would agree that it has one of the better nibs,
Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

#6 MinasTirithScribe

MinasTirithScribe

Royal Healers' Scriptorium of Gondor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:19

QUOTE (David V @ Jun 3 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious about the "tweaking" as well. My Duke D59 Copper Temple pen has what I would call flow issues as well. There always seems to be a bit of leakage along the vein making it rather untidy looking (although I am able to keep from getting it on anything). I regularly invert the pen and wipe it off with a tissue to keep it from permanently damaging the finish. I wouldn't say the pen writes too wonderfully, but when I've topped off the reservoir it does alright. It does skip periodically, and then quite a lot when the ink is getting low, which happens all too frequently with the small reservoir it has. I also have noticed that the feed seems to have a breather hole where it connects to the section. Is this normal? When you bleed the air out of the reservoir while filling it, it tends to bubble from the base of the feed (did I mention this is a "side squeeze" permanent bladder reservoir?). I'd love to know if there's a way to improve the pen's performance.

Thanks.

I had better luck with my Copper Temple, which neither leaks nor skips. Since I acquired it from His Nibs.com (where I'm a longtime satisfied client with no other affiliation), Norman's point-of-purchase nib tuning may be responsible. It likes PR Chocolat, a dense, high-surfactant ink.

#7 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 19:22

Do you find that it doesn't last long before needing a refill?

It's a nice looking pen, and I can tolerate the quirks it has, but it would be nice if there was a way I could fine tune it, as you say.

#8 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 22:53

FWIW, after reading a few posts about it, I tried carefully flossing (sort-of) my Copper Temple with a razor blade - not forcing it through, just gently sliding it through the channel a few times, and it could just be my imagination, but it actually seems to be writing better. I can get it to release ink with a gentle touch to the paper much better now. I suspect the oozing may have been from needing to press a little when I was writing, as that seems to be a lot better now too. Lastly, by getting it to write with a nice light touch, it actually has a fine line now, instead of looking somewhat bold-ish. Perhaps the ink consumption will slow a bit too... Anyhow, much happier with this pen now. Since I didn't force anything, not wanting to spread the tines, it is quite possible that I'm imagining everything and the only difference is how I'm using it, but I'm sure I had been trying to get it to write with a lighter touch, and it deffinitely does write faster now.

Edited by David V, 04 June 2009 - 22:55.

#9 dayonfire

dayonfire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 18:22

I have taken my recently purchased D10 and shipped it off to Pendemonium for a nib regrind to a cursive italic. The nib was buttery smooth, but so perfectly round that I couldn't really feel that I was writing with a fountain pen...if that makes any sense. This way I can feel the line variation and give my words some, well, character.

Will reply again when I get it back, perhaps with pics.

Cheers,
Michael

QUOTE (David V @ Jun 4 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, after reading a few posts about it, I tried carefully flossing (sort-of) my Copper Temple with a razor blade - not forcing it through, just gently sliding it through the channel a few times, and it could just be my imagination, but it actually seems to be writing better. I can get it to release ink with a gentle touch to the paper much better now. I suspect the oozing may have been from needing to press a little when I was writing, as that seems to be a lot better now too. Lastly, by getting it to write with a nice light touch, it actually has a fine line now, instead of looking somewhat bold-ish. Perhaps the ink consumption will slow a bit too... Anyhow, much happier with this pen now. Since I didn't force anything, not wanting to spread the tines, it is quite possible that I'm imagining everything and the only difference is how I'm using it, but I'm sure I had been trying to get it to write with a lighter touch, and it deffinitely does write faster now.

#10 dayonfire

dayonfire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 20:59

Received the pen back from Pendamonium. An immaculate 0.8mm cursive italic which is a pure joy to write with. The finest writer I own. Not bad for a grand total under $30. Huzzah!

m.

QUOTE (dayonfire @ Jun 25 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have taken my recently purchased D10 and shipped it off to Pendemonium for a nib regrind to a cursive italic. The nib was buttery smooth, but so perfectly round that I couldn't really feel that I was writing with a fountain pen...if that makes any sense. This way I can feel the line variation and give my words some, well, character.

Will reply again when I get it back, perhaps with pics.

Cheers,
Michael

QUOTE (David V @ Jun 4 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sponsored Content

|